Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW People Love and Hate us

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-03, 07:47 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by lexguynj

The BMW is more fun to drive period (BMW 330i here). The reliability is not as good as Lexus, but it's still above average. If you want total fun in terms of driving, go with the BMW. If you want a better line up of sportier looking cars, you go the BMW route once again.

you're comparing a RX300 vs a 330ci in 'fun to drive'?
please...

BMW reliability is below average especially in their older cars
Old 10-07-03, 09:54 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Bean
you're comparing a RX300 vs a 330ci in 'fun to drive'?
please...

The comparision would be between My ex 2001 GS430 vs. the BMW330i.

As for the RX330, it's more practical then fun to drive.
Old 10-07-03, 10:22 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Actually, the newer cars tend to have more issues. My '89 325i (wish I still had this car)and my '91 m5 were relatively trouble-free with normal maintenance. As usual, you guys fail to distinguish between reliability and cost of maintenance. BMW's are expensive to maintain but mine never leave me stranded. I would have things to fix but only on normally scheduled maintenance. Not bad when you consider the performance level of the 325i in its day and the M5 (even by today's standards). The newer Japanese performance cars (Infinitis) dont' seem to be as trouble-free as their econobox predecessors.

My wife's 323iT has had one window regulator break, one cupholder break, and a grommet for a trim piece break in 55k miles. Otherwise, flawless. Everything was free, including oil changes, to 36k. New BMW's have free maintenace to 48k. Lexus is far better but I think it is an even trade for the driving experience. Lexus has yet to build a real 3 series beater like the G35. I actually don't think many BMW buyers really considered a Lexus other than at the luxury level (7 vs. LS430).
Old 10-07-03, 03:23 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Bean

Before being a BMW owner I had heard all the horror stories about BMW reliability, so I was hesistant about buying a BMW. However upon taking a test drive and realizing how solid and fun this car was, I was sold and I forgot about everything else.

This is the twisted way we BMW owners think at times. The car is so fun to drive, that any reliability issues just come with the territory. Obviously it would be ideal to have both sportiness and reliability and knock on wood, my 330i is doing very well, but BMW still has to work on the reliability.

If you could have the Lexus Reliability and the BMW Sportiness all molded into one car, then you'd have an incredible car!

Last edited by lexguynj; 10-07-03 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-07-03, 06:33 PM
time4lexus
Pole Position

My friend's 330i got a check engine light, after 1500 miles.

Last edited by time4lexus; 10-07-03 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-07-03, 09:07 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by lexguynj

If you could have the Lexus Reliability and the BMW Sportiness all molded into one car, then you have an incredible car!
Its called a MKIV Toyota Supra Turbo go buy one you'll like it
tho i wouldnt call it bmw sportiness (thank god)
Old 10-07-03, 09:12 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by KKelly

My wife's 323iT has had one window regulator break, one cupholder break, and a grommet for a trim piece break in 55k miles. Otherwise, flawless. Everything was free, including oil changes, to 36k. New BMW's have free maintenace to 48k. Lexus is far better but I think it is an even trade for the driving experience. Lexus has yet to build a real 3 series beater like the G35. I actually don't think many BMW buyers really considered a Lexus other than at the luxury level (7 vs. LS430).
well my car has 140k miles and i've owned it for 40k... and i havent had ANY problems other than a crank pulley-groove come off... and the belt still twisted and sat on the bare metal (with no grooves) and still ran fine...
other than that its been flawless with ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY THOUSAND MILES... and guess what? i've got a turbo kit on it now too and i expect it to last a LONG time
show me a BMW like that please

my friend works for a BMW dealership; i hear so many many problems with the new 3-series its not even funny... the 5-series is supposedly halfway reliable (v8 motor is anyway)...

but you people are right; BMW owners dont care about the reliability... of course i do because i LIKE to drive my car