Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How many hate this question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-03, 09:13 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How many hate this question?

At 1st it was o.k. but now its very annoying ! how many if u or how many times a week 2 u guys get asked if u'r going 2 put spinners on u'r car? i can't stand it now.. i'm not conceded but every couple of days i get a compliment of how nice my car is than usually it gets follwed by "r u going 2 get spinners?" and at 1st i i used 2 xplain why not now i just get ticked. why ? i know this happens 2 a lot of people here...what do u do?
Old 10-06-03, 09:47 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up yeah

i get asked alot, usually by all types of folks. Mazda dealership fellow asked me when i was looking @ a mazda rx8. I usually tell them i am saving up and i am gonna put some on there with the matching apc windshield washer lights and the valve stem fireflys. only spinners in this town are junk...maybe one real set of davin's...there on a 1998 tahoe with the z71 kit on it. lol not lowered just stock with the blacked-out spinners. seen some xxx spinners on a 400 buick @ a car lot. it was pimp.
Old 10-06-03, 10:12 AM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mostly get asked "Are those DUBS??"
A LOT when I go through fast food drive-throughs by the cashiers.

I pulled up to a club outside to pick up some friends and about 12 people swarmed my car. A lot of them admiring the car and asking if they were DUBS but I had 2 guys ask me if I was going to put the spinner add-ons on. They were serious to!!!

I just said "Nah, not my style bro" and they were cool with it. ( I really didn't feel like explaining the technical aspects of my rims not being able to have spinners added on so I just left it alone. )

Sometimes it's just too much energy to explain something to someone that isn't even going to "GET IT" anyways!!!
Old 10-06-03, 10:17 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

ya, thats what i do i jut say its not my style . but i just hate being asked a lot everywhere i go, i had a older couple mayb in thier 50's or 60's ask once if i had those "wheels that keep moving when u stop" i told him no. and he says "i like those" ...he asked if he could put them on his caddy wheels? i just had 2 go...
Old 10-06-03, 12:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

i'd reply "On here? Na, i already have them on my caddy, my SIX-FO, and my range"
Old 10-06-03, 12:49 PM
ChrisFL
Driver

I'd just say "I gotta wait until my rap album comes out first"
Old 10-06-03, 03:02 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I usually get that from teenagers. They'll say "hey man the car is tight with the Dubs, sounds/tvs, and purple lights (they have no perception of Xenon), when you gonna get the spinners?

I usually say something like, "Spinners arent my style, I like OBEDIENT (sp) rims, when I stop THEY stop

Funny thing is, most people "around the way" think my wheels are cheaper than the Giovannas, and all that stuff, because they have a simple design, they say "those are hot, but my man got the joint that go like this and like this and this (while making hand motions). I love when they make the hand motions to describe the wheel.

Oh yeah they all like the lip and the "D" on my wheels, they think I had my rims designed after myself!!
Old 10-06-03, 03:05 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

One more thing, I saw a guy the other night with some add on spinners that cost about 82cents, his 93 GS300 had dull paint, cloudy headlights, and it sat up higher than a Ford Excursion, yet he pulled up next to me and gave me that look like I KNOW SOMETHING YOU DONT KNOW!! I just laughed at him and drove off.
Old 10-06-03, 04:20 PM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL DGOT20s!!

I had something similar weird to me on my way home from work the other day. I pulled up to a red light and saw this FUGLY gold 95ish Tercel pull up next to me. He had a GIANT spoiler on the back. I glanced over and noticed his phat 14" chrome imitation Lowenhart LD1 "HUBCAPS"!!!!

Now I'm not the type of person to dog ANYONE for what they have. I mean maybe that's all he can afford. I'm not judging anyone but he noticed me checking out his car and he rolled his windows down. His sound system was bumping pretty hard but rattling the hell out of everything. He yelled something out the window but I couldn't hear him over the noise. I said "WHAT?!!?!??!", so he turned his system down and and yelled "What the F--k you looking at?!?!"

My jaw about hit the floor and I could feel my blood start to boil. So instead of saying something I shouldn't have, I just tilted my head back and busted into hysterical laughter. I looked back at him and OMG you could tell he was pissed. The light turned green and I took off nice and slow. Then get this, he stays along side of me and starts weaving his car across the lanes as if he's trying to ram the side of my car with his!!!!

I still remained calm but I gave my car a little gas to get away from this nut-job. I could tell he was trying real hard to keep up because I could hear his exhaust screaming!!

Finally just as he almost got along side me for the second time, I said this is enough and punched it. LOL within a couple seconds he was nothing more than a dot in my rear-view and a faint memory!!

Actually I'm pretty lucky he didn't have a gun or some crazy crap. Man there are some FREAKS in this world!!!

- Sean O.
Old 10-06-03, 05:17 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Blame that on MTV
Old 10-06-03, 05:23 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

SeanO,

When he yelled what you looking at, you shoulda said, I'm tyring to figure out what looks worse, your 2 dollar car, your 10 cents hubcaps, or the shopping cart handle on your trunk!!!

j/k!

I woulda said, "my bad man, I was just checking out your RIMS!!! Those are nice, can I take a pic?" Then I would have posted it on CL!!
Old 10-06-03, 05:24 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lonely Toothbrush
Blame that on MTV

BET too, it wasn't a bad concept at 1st but its out of control now...
Old 10-06-03, 05:30 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Yeah it does get annoying at times..

but I take solace in the fact that I mod my car with practicality in mind. I mean if spinners were to add a few hp to my car I might actually be all up for them but we all know that isn't true. They add weight to the wheel which in turn slows the car down. Plus I don't see why people would want their wheels to look like they're still spinning while they're at a complete stop. I mean, look, my wheels spin too of course that's only when my car is rolling!!

-Seize
Old 10-06-03, 05:42 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I still think Davins are cool, they have some clean designs and exhibit pretty good craftsmanship. Its the Diablo/Spin-Tek garbage that I cant stand. Most of the guys with that stuff are just "poseurs" that tell airhead girls/ dumb guys that they have SPREEWELLS (Davins), then they act like they paid 10-15k.

The thing thats worse it, those things peel, and some of them dont spin!!! I know someone that had to send his back THREE times because 3of them would be doing 50mph while he was at the light, and one would be on PAUSE
Old 10-06-03, 05:47 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

When I tell anyone that I'm getting new wheels they will usually ask me if I'm getting Dubs...They don't know much about cars, so I say no. Then they start asking why not, as if all cars look good with 20 inch wheels on them, and if they don't have 20's they aren't cool. I've been asked a couple times if I am going to get spinners... There were so many reasons why I wouldn't, and most people don't understand when I try to explain it. I hate that alot.

Quick Reply: How many hate this question?