Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-22, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't have much experience with BMW, except I know they have a huge following and their owners love them. What I was trying to say is that just because my mechanic worked on 20 of them that had issues, doesn't mean it's a bad product as a brand. And just because Scotty doesn't like them doesn't make it a bad product. A YouTube video or two also is not reliable. Publicly available published data is. That's all Im trying to say. Otherwise, I have no skin in this one way or another

Oh, I agree they can be very pleasant vehicles to drive....particularly with the older hydraulic steering systems. And the ones before Chris Bangle came along also seemed to be built like tanks....the sloppier construction and lighter/thinner-grade-materials came later.

But my point was that if you want a vehicle today in that upmarket class that has Lexus build-quality, then get a Lexus. Despite not being what they were 20 years ago (particularly in solidity of interior materials), Lexus still has what is arguably the lowest defect-rate in the industry.
Old 05-20-22, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back on the Hyundai-topic, I'm not sure if this newly-released article has already been posted or not, but the Ioniq and EV6 have been recalled for rollaway-issues.

I'm beginning to at least partially (not completely) agree with Jill. Hyundai and Kia seemed to have reached their peak in build-quality from the mid-2000s up to about three or four years ago....and, for the money, they were superb. But, today, their newest designs are definitely sliding.....appears to be cost-cutting. I'm definitely not as impressed with them today as I was 10-15 years ago. I'm also not quite as as impressed, quality-wise, with the 2Gen Genesis products as I was with the originals. Bitkahuna, for example, really had a gem with that 1Gen G90.

Having said that, however, I'll admit it's hard to argue with Palisade and Telluride sales...the public has gone ape-**** over them. But, then, of course, the public is also buying the disappointing new Ford Explorer rival in decent numbers.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...laway-concerns

A total of 19,743 Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 electric cars are being recalled over rollaway concerns.

Separate recall notices from Hyundai and Kia both state that a "software error in the Shifter Control Unit" in affected vehicles could disengage park, allowing vehicles to roll. This could happen because of a voltage fluctuation when a vehicle is off and in park, which could interrupt the signal from the Shifter Control Unit to the parking mechanism.

The recalls encompass 10,729 Hyundai and 9,014 Kia vehicles. The Ioniq 5 and EV6 share the E-GMP platform, and there is significant component and software sharing between the two models as well. Hyundai also informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that the 2023 Genesis GV60 and G80 EV use the same parking mechanism, but these EVs haven't gone on sale in the United States yet.

2022 Kia EV6, red, and 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5

Owners will be informed when to take their cars to dealerships to have the Shifter Control Unit software updated free of charge. Until then, owners are advised to park their vehicles on level ground whenever possible.

Even though this is a software issue, it underscores that Kia and Hyundai still can't deploy over-the-air fixes or upgrades to the propulsion or safety systems—even though the E-GMP platform is capable of it.

Tesla has, for years, has been able to address issues that would otherwise require a physical service visit by deploying a firmware fix over the air. Although sometimes Tesla does need to remedy recalls with service visits. For example, a Model 3 and Model Y recall issued last year required service centers to physically inspect brake-caliper bolts that could have been loose.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-20-22 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-20-22, 07:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Back on the Hyundai-topic, I'm not sure if this newly-released article has already been posted or not, but the Ioniq and EV6 have been recalled for rollaway-issues.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...laway-concerns
That could easily be fixed by an OTA update. I just talked to a guy yesterday at a charging station in an Ionic 5 and he said he had it a few months with no issues
Old 05-20-22, 07:38 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Thank you for steering back on topic
Old 05-20-22, 07:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
And I just responded... see my edited post above.

Look Strike, we know you don't like Hyundai's and Kia's. All I'm asking here is to keep the discussion based on something objective and easily verifiable, because using only anecdotes and "he said she said" shifts the conversation in focus of someone's honesty, which is a minefield for fighting on the internet where everyone is anonymous. I'm sure you run a good business, but I'm not interested in questioning your background, nor should you be questioning mine. Keeping the discussion based on objective data rather than anecdotes keeps things civil and impersonal, and I would like it to stay that way.
Word of mouth is more powerful than surveys. My brother had his engine replaced. Friend as well. My other brother has a Palisade which he really likes. These recalls seem to really haunt Hyundai
Old 05-20-22, 07:46 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I'm beginning to at least partially (not completely) agree with Jill. Hyundai and Kia seemed to have reached their peak in build-quality from the mid-2000s up to about three or four years ago....but, today, their newest designs are definitely sliding. I'm definitely not as impressed with them today as I was 10-15 years ago. I'm also not quite as as impressed, quality-wise, with the 2Gen Genesis products as I was with the originals. Bitkahuna, for example, really had a gem with that 1Gen G90.

Having said that, however, I'll admit it's hard to argue with Palisade and Telluride sales...the public has gone ape-**** over them. But, then, of course, the public is also buying the disappointing new Ford Explorer rival in decent numbers.

The public loves anything brand new. They also love something that's visually appealing and unique. Yeah, they look nice but they aren't good vehicles. No Kia/Hyundai product is. It's a cold hard fact on the same level of May 20, 2022 being Friday.
Old 05-20-22, 07:48 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Word of mouth is more powerful than surveys. My brother had his engine replaced. Friend as well. My other brother has a Palisade which he really likes.These recalls seem to really haunt Hyundai
Word of mouth must be pretty good for Hyundai and Kia then for them to be outselling Honda lol.
Old 05-20-22, 07:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
The public loves anything brand new. They also love something that's visually appealing and unique. Yeah, they look nice but they aren't good vehicles. No Kia/Hyundai product is. It's a cold hard fact on the same level of May 20, 2022 being Friday.
‘My brother has the new Palisade. It’s pretty nice. He loves it.
Old 05-20-22, 07:51 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Word of mouth must be pretty good for Hyundai and Kia then for them to be outselling Honda lol.
Yeah, it's because people want the trendiest, newest design.
Old 05-20-22, 07:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Honda is another company that is well-past its peak in quality....more so than with Hyundai/Kia, where the quality slides have only just started the last few years.

But, in the 1990s, Honda and Toyota ruled the roost. Honda, back then, wrote the book on overall quality-control and Swiss-Watch-level assembly, and Toyota, then, as also now, led the industry in durable/reliable drivetrains.
Old 05-20-22, 07:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Yeah, it's because people want the trendiest, newest design.
Hyundai’s don’t sell for the same prices as a Honda. Hyundai also does more features for lowers prices. The higher end Hyundai’s are better than their cheap stuff. I think the fires for the engines has a lot to do with their 4 cylinders. Hyundai just can’t do small engines very well
Old 05-20-22, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘My brother has the new Palisade. It’s pretty nice. He loves it.

Yes, it's a nice vehicle for families and/or for those who want a mid-size SUV. I just don't think its body, hardware, trim, and build-solidness has quite the same Thunk-solid feeling of Hyundais/Kias up till a few years ago. It appears to be built with somewhat lighter materials....and you can REALLY notice that hardware-lightening on the latest Sonata sedan.
Old 05-21-22, 04:50 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 882 Likes on 704 Posts

I only have only a sample size of 1 experience too since I only ever owned 1 Hyundai and will prob never buy another one again.

Bought a new Hyundai Elantra, white, 4 door, cloth seats- many years ago.
Most boring car I ever owned and I had no love for it since it was just an "appliance" car to run the bloody wheels off doing my rounds to the industrial plants in a Tri-metro area.

Car had no style or character and not a "chick magnet car" by any stretch of the imagnation lol

But tell you what- I never did any warranty work or recalls on it and drove it 90k miles in 2 years and it was dead reliable.

Started every click of the key and I abused the hell out of it!

Paid $15k new for it and the best I could do on trade in was $3,500 at 2.5 yrs old.

PS- everything on the car still worked and put no money in it but tires and oil.
Old 05-21-22, 11:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,179 Likes on 1,411 Posts

recalls and lawsuits please, not anecdotes.
Old 05-22-22, 07:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,179 Likes on 1,411 Posts

off topic posts deleted.

Quick Reply: Hyundai/Kia recalls and lawsuits