Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What was your first car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-03, 03:21 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ChrisFL
You traded a 93 MR2 Turbo for an Accord?

Anyway, first car, 1984 Mazda GLC (LX!! ). I paid $750 for it, 130,000 miles on it, ran fine, smoked constantly, 5-spd, drove it until the clutch went out, then it wasn't worth fixing it.

Second car was 1993 MR2 NA, kept it until 6 mo. ago, then bought my Lex.

I'm still planning on getting an MR2 Turbo as a weekend car, preferably a 93+ Red with tan leather interior

well, the guy offered me 11K + the accord so i couldnt say no here are some pix of the MR2 and the integ...
http://hometown.aol.com/wizdomfoelife
Old 09-15-03, 03:28 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

RICE RICE BABY!.. well back then it was cool

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 09-15-03 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-15-03, 05:15 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1977 Chevrolet El Camino. Very underpowered 305 CID w/ 2b carb. Also, very overweight. Major gas pig.
Still, it was lots of fun on the beach, since I lived in Daytona then. Later on , I pulled the 305 and put in a 350 that I had built. Was a mild rebuild on a 2 bolt main block, so I was only pushing about 300HP at the fly. I spent too much money on the old beater. Lots of good memories though, especially since it was my grandad's old ride.
Old 09-15-03, 06:07 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1979 toyota liftback.
bought at 680,000 miles died @ 940,000 miles...
dad and I shared this car... dad drove it from NYC to buffalo 2 times a week and 2 times to catskills and I got to use it on the weekends..

best car ever bought for $200.
Old 09-15-03, 08:41 PM
ChrisFL
Driver

Originally posted by MrJohnTan

SO YOU'RE THE OWNER!!!!!

I've had questions about that car!!!!

When I had my MR2 I had some....undisclosed plans for it.....and I saw you had fans under the intercooler, just like the McLaren F1 had fans to improve downforce under the car

I wanted to know how you installed them, and what the differences were in the car, if you could feel a difference.

I don't know of any other MR2 owner that's done it like that (and I've met a TON of them)

Last edited by ChrisFL; 09-15-03 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-15-03, 08:53 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ChrisFL
SO YOU'RE THE OWNER!!!!!

I've had questions about that car!!!!

When I had my MR2 I had some....undisclosed plans for it.....and I saw you had fans under the intercooler, just like the McLaren F1 had fans to improve downforce under the car

I wanted to know how you installed them, and what the differences were in the car, if you could feel a difference.

I don't know of any other MR2 owner that's done it like that (and I've met a TON of them)
If you are planning on going trunk mount i/c and daily driving it, dont do it. The turbo lag was so bad that it was such a pain to drive around town. Well, I did have a T04X (turbo made my XS-engineering) and that was part of the cause. The fans did not make any difference in downforce, but they did work well in cooling the intercooler, although I had to sacrifice my trunk. With the intercooler mounted in the trunk, it was hard to get any airflow coming throw the i/c. The fans solved that problem. As for the install, I basically cut a hole in the bottom of the trunk to mount the fans into. Then I had someome fabricate an aluminum shroud to direct air from the fans directly through the intercooler. If I could go back and do it again, I would have mounted the fans directly onto the I/C and vented it out somewhere. In the end, I ended up selling the entire setup and ran a GReddy T67 with the sidemount I/C and a FAL 7" fan bolted onto that. The driveability improved a lot and so did my track times. I made the mistake of having too much turbo for my motor, if that makes any sense. I wish I had some pix of that setup, but my computer crashed and bye-bye went the harddrive as well all the pictures i had.

BTW, sorry for hijacking this thread...

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 09-15-03 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-16-03, 06:21 AM
ChrisFL
Driver

Originally posted by MrJohnTan
I wish I had some pix of that setup, but my computer crashed and bye-bye went the harddrive as well all the pictures i had.

BTW, sorry for hijacking this thread...
I have some pics I dl'ed a long time ago from it, if you don't have them I can upload them