Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The stunning 2021 Toyota Mirai...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-19, 07:51 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It appears You do not come across this way in almost all of your posts regarding EVs. Almost to the point where it looks like you do not see someone else's POV in the discussion.It is really quite strange to compare the Telsa 3 to a Corolla.
I will defend the EV against FUD. There really is a lot of incorrect information on this forum about EVs. It's gotten better but things like batteries dying after 8 years or it takes 1 hour to charge or Insurance costing double that of normal cars or price parity on operating costs are just fake news. I will call it out if I see it.
Old 10-20-19, 09:34 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,745 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
A 25 year old Camry is way way cheaper to own.
Originally Posted by EZZ
I will defend the EV against FUD. There really is a lot of incorrect information on this forum about EVs. It's gotten better but things like batteries dying after 8 years or it takes 1 hour to charge or Insurance costing double that of normal cars or price parity on operating costs are just fake news. I will call it out if I see it.
These smears are not surprising people are generally afraid of new things, double that when you factor in brand loyalty.
Old 10-20-19, 10:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I will defend the EV against FUD. .
No idea what FUD is.

Originally Posted by EZZ
. It's gotten better but things like batteries dying after 8 years .
I don't think that 8 years for a battery is a theme on here. It is a fact that 8 years is the guarantee from the manufacturer or a mile interval.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-20-19 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-20-19, 01:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 454 Likes on 299 Posts

I have said a number of times that EV has its good and bad points.

https://jalopnik.com/worst-case-scen...ion-1839105865

One of the issues with Teslas is that appreciable quanities haven't been around for long, so there are NO independent 3rd party stats on their long term durability eg at the 10 year mark.
It's not just the battery, but all sorts of long term issues related to the motor vehicle itself.

One of the issues of the current lithium ion technology, and the main reason why TMC did not invest into EV's earlier is that lithium ion charging is slow, and worse, when charging is sped up, battery degradation increases too; this is why the industry is heavily investing in solid state and graphene technology.

For example, after 2 years, my wife's iPhone 6S Plus degraded to around 80% capacity when she had her battery replaced.
After two years, my cell phone battery has now degraded to only 85% capacity when measured by special software, and I am nearing battery replacement as the phone is down to very low levels like 40 or even 30% each night; when it was brand new, after a heavy day's use, it would have a good 70%, or at least 65% capacity remaining.

In my experience, the real effects of battery degradation is much worse than the battery degradation percentage suggests.
15% battery degradation doesn't sound like much, but in actual use, my battery level is now down to 30-40% at the end of the day, as opposed to 65-70% when it was brand new.
I normally charge to 100%.

Now, Tesla warranties their batteries 70% capacity at 8 years.

Are you smart enough to realize what's wrong with this?
Thus, if one's original maximum 100% charge range was 300 miles, with battery degradation & only 70% battery capacity remaining, the maximum charge range will be only ~200 miles!
Some people can certainly accept 70% maximum battery capacity, but not everyone will be able to accept this.

It's not just diminished range, but do you know how much a replacement battery pack costs, and do you factor this into your running costs???
You think your EV is cheap to run? How short-sighted?

EV's have their good and bad points.
One of the good points is that EV's should satisfy a good 90% of mums and dads - because most people travel less than 50 miles/day etc.

However, taxis, trucks and other commercial vehicles often operate 24 hours a day with rostered drivers, because that is how they earn their living.
How is EV going to work with commercial vehicles that drive literally 24 hours a day with rostered drivers?
How can one just kick hydrogen fuel cell vehicles out the door just like that?

I drive gasoline, but I never criticize diesels.
I drive sedan, but I never criticize coupes, nor CUV/SUV tall wagons etc.
I will one day drive EV's, but why do I have to criticize HFCEV's, and banish them off the face of the planet when solid state and graphene technology is not yet available for purchase?

Horses for courses?
Can't we all co-exist?

I love balance views.
I can't stand fanaticizm/zealotry.
Zealotry is defined as excess zeal, or fanatical devotion.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/zealotry

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-20-19 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-20-19, 01:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

How many times have you compared a phone battery to a Tesla battery to try to prove your point. It's a stupid comparison. The battery chemistry is drastically different. There are far more Tesla's that get to 200k miles than there are Tesla's where the battery packs break down and needs replacement. Again, stupid FUD without any backup. Bring me one shred of evidence Tesla batteries act like phone batteries and we can talk.
Old 10-20-19, 02:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,745 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
How many times have you compared a phone battery to a Tesla battery to try to prove your point. It's a stupid comparison.
Not a valid comparison but I think peteharvey knows this and does it anyway. We've pointed out many times (and have linked to info) that a mobile device battery is designed for maximum capacity at the expense of longevity. Like you said totally different chemistry.
Old 10-20-19, 07:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
A 25 year old Camry is way way cheaper to own.
Not sure what that has to do with the article or a brand new corolla.
Old 10-20-19, 07:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Peteharvey, your post has not only nothing to do with mirai, but makes points you’ve stated over, and over, and over. I was close to deleting your post but will let it stand, but we need no more discussion of battery longevity in this thread or how ‘untested’ teslas are.
Old 10-20-19, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

In fact, since this thread has had NOTHING to say about the mirai for a long while, it is closed.