Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The stunning 2021 Toyota Mirai...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-19, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i thought the crown and GS share a platform.
You may be right. I was under the impression, though, that the Crown and LS shared platforms. Alex is pretty certain that the new Mirai comes from the LS platform. Being a human being, of course, Alex is not always 100% correct, but it's not very often that he is wrong.
Old 10-11-19, 03:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You may be right. I was under the impression, though, that the Crown and LS shared platforms. Alex is pretty certain that the new Mirai comes from the LS platform. Being a human being, of course, Alex is not always 100% correct, but it's not very often that he is wrong.
He is wrong.

TNGA-N is what Crown and Mirai have (and future IS), while TNGA-L is what LS and LC have.
In the past, Crown has always been a cheaper version of the GS platform.
Old 10-11-19, 03:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
have no idea what you base that on, they seem completely different to me.
remember that for Toyota, it was always important to keep design and features separate from models despite sharing same platform... unlike VAG where many visible parts were shared.
Plus, TNGA vehicles can have both different wheelbases and vehicle tracks on the same platform.

So yes, looking at GS and Mirai, they look or feel nothing alike.
Old 10-11-19, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
He is wrong.

TNGA-N is what Crown and Mirai have (and future IS), while TNGA-L is what LS and LC have.
In the past, Crown has always been a cheaper version of the GS platform.
Regardless of what platform it is derived from, it's still quite a looker. With this, Toyota is officially forgiven for the C-HR (LOL) With the Tokyo Show coming up in a couple of weeks (where it will be displayed), Toyota will probably release more specs and data. In the U.S., it is generally slated for California...as most FCVs are.
Old 10-11-19, 04:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Regardless of what platform it is derived from, it's still quite a looker. With this, Toyota is officially forgiven for the C-HR (LOL) With the Tokyo Show coming up in a couple of weeks (where it will be displayed), Toyota will probably release more specs and data. In the U.S., it is generally slated for California...as most FCVs are.
CH-R is doing extremely well for Toyota. It will be their first EV in China.
For every cheap shot at the CH-R, I must remind them that their is the Hyundai Veloster.

Anyways, this thread is about the gorgeous Mirai.
Old 10-11-19, 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
CH-R is doing extremely well for Toyota. It will be the first EV in China.

My point was, that, IMO, it is as bad of an eyesore as the Nissan Juke....and the Juke had better materials inside. Sometimes, though, like you said, eyesores sell.

But that wasn't necessarily the point of my remark. The Mirai, looks-wise, makes up for a number of recent Toyota ugly-sticks.
Old 10-11-19, 04:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
remember that for Toyota, it was always important to keep design and features separate from models despite sharing same platform... unlike VAG where many visible parts were shared.
Plus, TNGA vehicles can have both different wheelbases and vehicle tracks on the same platform.

So yes, looking at GS and Mirai, they look or feel nothing alike.
Maybe we will see an FCEV or EV Lexus GS of this platform.
Old 10-11-19, 04:51 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Paging @Carmaker1 and @Sulu for the technical insight on platforms.
Old 10-11-19, 05:34 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 455 Likes on 300 Posts

Very interesting for 2014-20 Mirai to move upmarket from a midsize FWD-based platform to a 2020-26 Mirai II midsize RWD-based platform.

Mirai II has the exact same underlying 114.9" wheelbase as Crown; not 115.0" as stated in the OP link.

At 115.8", Mirai II is only 2.5" longer than Crown, but most of the difference in length is due to the extra curvature in the styling, while the true underlying box sections are often the same length.

At 74.2", new Mirai II is a good 3.2" wider than current 2018-24 Crown JDM, and this is to be expected because Japanese Domestic Market traditionally prefer narrower - as opposed to global GS which is traditionally wider than JDM Crown.

At 57.8", new 2020-26 Mirai II is 0.5" taller than current Crown - which is a good thing because recent lowered roofline of 5LS and Crown are prone to tight headroom.

Toyota Crown is JDM Japanese Domestic Market.
Toyota Mirai II HFCEV is global.
Lexus GS is global, but Lexus normally more upmarket.

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-11-19 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Mirai II has exact same 114.9" wheelbase as Crown.
Old 10-13-19, 05:56 AM
Hayek
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great. Could it be the new GS or is Lexus serious about cancelling the GS?
Old 10-13-19, 09:33 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, it's certainly better looking than the current Mirai, not that that's difficult. Good looking overall, marred by the ugly snout. I don't know what dementia has afflicted Lexus / Toyota stylists about grilles.
Old 10-15-19, 10:09 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks like a Lexus sedan now (or should I say 4-door coupe?), with a slightly different spindle grille.
This could be a new Lexus GS if Toyota decides to resurrect the GS as a 4 door coupe.
Old 10-16-19, 05:03 AM
Hayek
Driver

In Europe, the GS was replaced by the ES 300h and in Russia, you can even have a 2.0 litre ES or a 2.5 ES and the V6 of course, but no hybrid. Russia doesn't get the ES with the new direct and indirect injection engines either.

I was reading about the history of the Lexus GS and the fourth gen wasn't even supposed to happen. Akio Toyoda even said he didn't want a fourth gen GS. The fourth gen GS only happened because Lexus USA and Europe executives still believed the car had potential. So do they believe the GS still deserve another chance or are they OK with pushing the ES as its replacement?
Old 10-16-19, 05:49 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 347 Likes on 237 Posts

That's a really nice looking car - although it is just a concept. The LS500 concept looked way better than what they introduced to me, so I'm not overly optimistic of what will be delivered. The interior is really well done. Overall, even with some variations to production unit, the overall direction is promising.
Old 10-19-19, 06:31 AM
Hayek
Driver

Electric cars take just too long to be recharged and hydrogen cars have no fueling stations, so... Why don't Toyota make this beautiful sedan a plug-in hybrid vehicle, instead?

Quick Reply: The stunning 2021 Toyota Mirai...