Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW sees electric car parity soon, tipping point ev adoption

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-19, 07:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Don't know. Porsche, BMW, and Audi haven't done it yet. Talk is cheap.
Seeing how Toyota responded very quickly to offer a cheap CH-R for Chinese markets. Also offering a state built EV for the Chinese market. I have no doubt they can do it. It is a matter of moving their vast resources to respond. The new Porsche plug in practically matches the model X performance, so others are responding.
Old 08-12-19, 07:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Seeing how Toyota responded very quickly to offer a cheap CH-R for Chinese markets. Also offering a state built EV for the Chinese market. I have no doubt they can do it. It is a matter of moving their vast resources to respond. The new Porsche plug in practically matches the model X performance, so others are responding.
It also gets significantly less range. It's rated below 300 miles in the Euro standard. EPA will be around 225 miles. The model S is 375 miles EPA rating. Until Toyota brings the goods, they are nowhere in the EV race. I have no faith in Toyota's technology anymore. They can't even build a decent Powertrain to match the Germans. They have the worst infotainment in the entire industry. Besides hybrids, name me one area in auto where they are unmatched? Reliability? That's it. Again, Toyota tech isn't impressive.
Old 08-12-19, 07:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
It also gets significantly less range. It's rated below 300 miles in the Euro standard. EPA will be around 225 miles. The model S is 375 miles EPA rating. Until Toyota brings the goods, they are nowhere in the EV race. I have no faith in Toyota's technology anymore. They can't even build a decent Powertrain to match the Germans. They have the worst infotainment in the entire industry. Besides hybrids, name me one area in auto where they are unmatched? Reliability? That's it. Again, Toyota tech isn't impressive.
375 makes little difference if you charge at home. New EVs to the market likely will be about 200 miles range max. For a good long while
Old 08-12-19, 07:26 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

375 makes little difference if you charge at home. New EVs to the market likely will be about 200 miles range max. For a good long while
There is a reason Tesla outsells the entire industry put together. The range anxiety is real. As long as manufacturers release EVs with less than 300 miles of range, Tesla will keep annihilating the competition in sales. Good for Tesla.
Old 08-12-19, 07:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The average person drives 12k miles per year which is album 33 miles per day. Range anxiety is not real, it's more perceived based on the idea of filling up a gas tank once a week.

Telsa needs to offer a solution to previewed range anxiety. The mainstream do not. They will offer and extra cost long range battery option which most people will have little need for.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-12-19 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 07:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

The average person drives 12k miles per year which is album 33 miles per day. Range anxiety is not real, it's more perceived based on the idea of filling up a gas tank once a week.

Telsa needs to offer a solution to previewed range anxiety. The mainstream do not. They will offer and extra cost long range battery option which most people will have little need for.
Tesla offers up the 240 mile range version but I suspect they sell more of the long range 310 mile version given their avg transaction price. I can guarantee you that range anxiety is real even though it's a perception. The number one reason EVs are not bought is range anxiety. Tesla built an entire infrastructure to combat range anxiety. If you think range anxiety isn't real, you are in the severe minority who think this way.
Old 08-12-19, 08:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,462 Posts

all these range numbers thrown around aren't real life. they're for using 100% of the battery (not a good idea...) if the battery is charged to 80% as it typically is and recharged at 20%, then you're only getting 60% of the 240 miles which is, uh, only 144 miles. then there's the matter if someone's in a cold climate when range again PLUMMETS. now even just 100mi. is enough for most people's daily commute, but i just wanted to point out that cars advertised with 240mile range , ain't.
Old 08-12-19, 09:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,748 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Fuel economy on a petrol car plummets as well in winter if it's -30 I get half the mileage in the city. An electric motor will also operate at much colder temps than a gas engine.
Old 08-13-19, 02:10 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Apples and oranges, perhaps? Let's talk about a winter temperature of 0C. EV will have compromised range, ICE car hardly bothered. And if you need more fuel, there's a station a few blocks away.

So I'm thinking that one day perhaps this won't be an issue. But for many, this is an issue now.

It might be that a good way to look at it is to think of the current EV car and its environment as being comparable to a Smart car. Good for most things most of the time, but not for all things all of the time.
Old 08-13-19, 03:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,748 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
Apples and oranges, perhaps? Let's talk about a winter temperature of 0C.
Zero Celsius is not cold that will not bother an EV or ICE car one bit, -30 degrees is a different story at that temp my city mileage plummets some cars fail to start at all.