Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Purchased CPO from private owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-19, 07:38 AM
fcrowderjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchased CPO from private owner

I just bought a 2014 CPO from a dealer where the owner traded it in with about a year and 12k miles left on the warranty. The dealer told me that if I take it in for repairs don't tell Lexus that I'm the new owner which will void the CPO warranty and they will perform any needed repairs. He says to tell them that the owner is away and I'm just bringing the car in for repairs. Has something like this worked for anyone?
Old 07-20-19, 07:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fcrowderjr
I just bought a 2014 CPO from a dealer where the owner traded it in with about a year and 12k miles left on the warranty. The dealer told me that if I take it in for repairs don't tell Lexus that I'm the new owner which will void the CPO warranty and they will perform any needed repairs. He says to tell them that the owner is away and I'm just bringing the car in for repairs. Has something like this worked for anyone?
Good luck with that--you don't think the dealer will ask for the current registration to verify? You bought from a pretty shady lot.
Old 07-20-19, 08:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

welcome. unfortunately that’s called fraud and the dealer and you could probably be sued.
remember, dealers will say anything to make a sale.
Old 07-20-19, 08:19 AM
fcrowderjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to buy the car regardless if I could use the warranty or not. I'm just wondering if there was an issue If I could use it.
Old 07-20-19, 11:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I was going to buy the car regardless if I could use the warranty or not. I'm just wondering if there was an issue If I could use it.
Step 1: Get copy of CPO Warranty
Step 2: Read it
Step 3: Follow the CPO Warranty terms and conditions on transferability
Old 07-21-19, 06:59 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Not saying you should do what the dealer said as I agree it's fraud but I have a CPO LS and they have never once asked me for any registration nor any CPO card. They scan the VIN # it comes up as CPO and they do the work that is needed. I even have prepaid maintenance and they do not even verify that, it is all under my vin #. One other thing about the scenario that makes it more fraudulent is that you must sign off on anything they do when they write you up for service. This is typical procedure at any dealer I have been to when they write you up an estimate to take the car back even if it will be no cost to you. You would be signing that prior owners name which is fraud.
Old 07-22-19, 05:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Not saying you should do what the dealer said as I agree it's fraud but I have a CPO LS and they have never once asked me for any registration nor any CPO card. They scan the VIN # it comes up as CPO and they do the work that is needed. I even have prepaid maintenance and they do not even verify that, it is all under my vin #. One other thing about the scenario that makes it more fraudulent is that you must sign off on anything they do when they write you up for service. This is typical procedure at any dealer I have been to when they write you up an estimate to take the car back even if it will be no cost to you. You would be signing that prior owners name which is fraud.
Do you take the car back to the dealer you bought it at? OP is going to need to set up a customer profile his first dealer visit. They don't just scan your VIN, and then charge the work to the Underhills.
Old 07-22-19, 06:26 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 883 Likes on 665 Posts

Not stated but I am guessing that the most recent selling dealer is Not a Lexus dealer.
A Lexus dealer would likely just re-certify the car to extend the legitimate benefits.
Old 07-22-19, 08:58 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

They can almost certainly determine the owner off the VIN number.

The original owner of my Fusion had purchased an extended warranty for it. I was unable to use it because when they ran my VIN, they discovered it had been sold and the warranty was non-transferable.
Old 07-22-19, 10:40 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I see private party sales of CPO Lexus' all the time where the owner is saying the warranty is transferable. I always like to email them and ask if they've verified if the warranty is transferable. Most the time I don't get a response, but here is one I got recently:

"My wife's Mercedes-Benz certified pre-owned warranty was not transferable from the previous owner. I just never told the service writer I was a different owner. That warranty really came in handy with a Mercedes. I have had zero problems though with my Lexus."

This person is wrong, as MB CPO is transferable, but beyond that I thought it was funny that he was basically telling me to lie to the Lexus dealer.
Old 07-22-19, 08:35 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Do you take the car back to the dealer you bought it at? OP is going to need to set up a customer profile his first dealer visit. They don't just scan your VIN, and then charge the work to the Underhills.
I split my time between 2 states. I take it to both dealers no profile. They scan and do the work. I never formally give my name other than setting up the appointment.