Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru welding fail means..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 03:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Subaru welding fail means..

Thousands of new cars are headed to the scrap heap

Subaru has discovered a defect so severe that it is planning to scrap, rather than repair, more than 2,100 new Legacy sedans and Outback SUVs.

Faulty welds not only could lead to an accident, according to the automaker, but increase the risk of injuries to vehicle occupants if one occurs.

The announcement is rare, but not unique, at a time when automotive recalls have been running at or near record levels. Subaru itself staged a similar move a year ago involving a small number of then-new Ascent SUVs.

According to the Japanese automaker, a supplier failed to properly clean part of its machinery, “reducing the effectiveness of (a) welder” that put together sheet metal components used in the cowl, which separates the engine from the passenger compartment, in the Legacy and Outback models. The welds could fail over time.

The problem was discovered within a week, limiting the extent of the problem, nonetheless, the automaker plans to recall 142 of the Legacy sedans and 1,965 of the Outback SUVs. According to Subaru, the majority of those models had yet to be delivered, but at least 20 are currently in the hands of U.S. buyers.

Those who have recently purchased one of those two products can check to see if their vehicles are affected by going to either the Subaru or National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website or call the automaker at 844-373-6614. Subaru also plans to send out alerts to impacted buyers in the coming weeks.

Those who have one of the vehicles covered by the recall will be given the option of having it repurchased by Subaru or replaced. All the vehicles will be scrapped, a costly process considering a Legacy starts at around $22,000, the Outback around $26,000 — with both models pushing up towards $40,000 when fully loaded.

Buybacks are rare but not unique in the auto industry. Volkswagen, for one, offered to repurchase thousands of vehicles equipped with illegally rigged diesel engines, though some were also repaired.

A year ago, Subaru had to make a similar move when it discovered welding defects on 243 of the then-new Ascent SUV. As with the latest recall, the vast majority of the affected vehicles had not yet been delivered to customers.
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...scrap-n1030316
Old 07-16-19, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Why scrap them? Seems unnecessary, to me, over a couple of welds. Disassemble the vehicles and use them for spare parts. Technically, they are still brand-new parts if the vehicle has never been sold.

And I was just getting ready to test-drive a new Outback.....I wanted to see how much they have changed from my old 2006.
Old 07-16-19, 04:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why scrap them? Seems unnecessary, to me, over a couple of welds. Disassemble the vehicles and use them for spare parts. Technically, they are still brand-new parts if the vehicle has never been sold.

And I was just getting ready to test-drive a new Outback.....I wanted to see how much they have changed from my old 2006.
That's what I thought, there are some parts that could be disassembled
Old 07-16-19, 04:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It is probably too disruptive for a factory to disassemble these vehicles - they will lose more conveyor time than its worth. They do not want to sell these cars to a smaller entity for repair, because if the repairs are not done properly, Subaru is still on the hook.
Old 07-16-19, 05:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,740 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Subaru can't sell them off for parts since they can't control what happens, which means some would most certainly be put back on the road. Props to them for doing the right thing.
Old 07-16-19, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Subaru can't sell them off for parts since they can't control what happens, which means some would most certainly be put back on the road. Props to them for doing the right thing.
Disagree. Until those vehicles are sold, they are legally the property of the manufacturer or dealership. They can control what happens.
Old 07-16-19, 05:53 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,740 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Disagree. Until those vehicles are sold, they are legally the property of the manufacturer or dealership. They can control what happens.
Can't control what happens after they are sold which is why I said Subaru selling the cars for parts is not an option.
Old 07-16-19, 06:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This is a good move by Subaru. I applaud them for the buyback or replacement for customers who have them already.

they are legally the property of the manufacturer or dealership..
The manufacturer is separate from the dealer.

Technically, they are still brand-new parts if the vehicle has never been sold.
I don't think you are correct.
Old 07-16-19, 06:19 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Good on them, they can sell it a third world country for cheap if they were unethical enough. I know some companies do this cough cough *toyota* cough cough. I'm starting to think these corporations are too greedy for anyone else's good.
Old 07-16-19, 07:38 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118
Good on them, they can sell it a third world country for cheap if they were unethical enough. I know some companies do this cough cough *toyota* cough cough. I'm starting to think these corporations are too greedy for anyone else's good.
What's sad is that these defective units are still safer than many of the new cars sold in 3rd world countries. They are also much safer than millions of older cars on American roads. This doesn't mean they should be fixed and sold somehow but just making that point.

It will indeed be a shame if Subaru literally just crushes the cars whole without parting some things out. When accidents create the need for parts, they'll have to produce the same exact new parts being scrapped. So wasteful. What about things like the alloy wheels? So stupid to crush them.

Meh, it's only $60,000,000.00.
Old 07-16-19, 07:53 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Thousands of new cars are headed to the scrap heap

Subaru has discovered a defect so severe that it is planning to scrap, rather than repair, more than 2,100 new Legacy sedans and Outback SUVs.

Faulty welds not only could lead to an accident, according to the automaker, but increase the risk of injuries to vehicle occupants if one occurs.

The announcement is rare, but not unique, at a time when automotive recalls have been running at or near record levels. Subaru itself staged a similar move a year ago involving a small number of then-new Ascent SUVs.
Buybacks are rare but not unique in the auto industry. Volkswagen, for one, offered to repurchase thousands of vehicles equipped with illegally rigged diesel engines, though some were also repaired.

A year ago, Subaru had to make a similar move when it discovered welding defects on 243 of the then-new Ascent SUV. As with the latest recall, the vast majority of the affected vehicles had not yet been delivered to customers.
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...scrap-n1030316
Wow, second time in a year that Subaru has had to recall vehicles due to poor welds. A year ago, it was brand-new Ascent models that were missing spot welds on the B-pillar due to poorly-programmed robots. Now it is the fault of a supplier. Both times, the vehicles affected had to be scrapped -- poor or missing welds in the structure is a safety hazard.

Although the problems seem similar, it seems that it is only coincidence that both problems are related to welds. Luckily few (if any) customers will be affected by the recall and buyback.

It would cost so much to disassemble the affected vehicles -- put them on an assembly line and run it in reverse, and hope that the parts and components you pull out can be re-used (not damaged, not scratched, dented or dinged during the removal) -- that it would not be worth it. And, as others have said, you cannot re-use any damaged or incorrectly-assembled structural part.
Old 07-17-19, 06:01 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

It's probably for liability more than anything else. I mean they probably could have subcontracted a some small outfit to disassemble the vehicle, remove salvage and catalog the parts used and scrap the frame but that would probably be expensive as well. that would have been the least wasteful way in my opinion
Old 07-17-19, 06:11 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

As has been pointed out; the cheapest and safest option for Subaru is that these cars are completely crushed and never get on the open market. The potential liability and damage to reputation dwarfs these costs.
Old 07-17-19, 06:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
damage to reputation dwarfs these costs.
This is the biggest issue...if they don't fix it.

Great post