Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alex on Autos going out of business?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-19, 08:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So my Spidey-senses are telling me, Alex on Autos is on its last leg. On my Apple TV today, he has put out a pledge and is now offering subscriptions from You Tube.

Thoughts?
If you watch enough YouTube content you'll see that most YouTubers do these things as well, I wouldn't read anything into it. He's clearly a very trim operation too without much overhead.

For the Model 3, when you always have a press car, why do you need an expensive personal car? You drive the press cars everywhere.
Old 06-02-19, 11:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So my Spidey-senses are telling me, Alex on Autos is on its last leg. On my Apple TV today, he has put out a pledge and is now offering subscriptions from You Tube.

Thoughts?
I don't understand how he gets enough ad money to make a living off that, so it makes sense to me.
Old 06-02-19, 11:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I would be surprised if he had the budget to “buy” those vehicles. Maybe lease them for the short term. mmmm. Sounds like his subscriptions would be just paying for this daily drivers.
Of course he doesn't buy the cars he reviews. Not even auto magazines [note--I don't consider CR to be an "Auto" mag] buy their road test cars (other than long term vehicles)
Old 06-02-19, 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
For the Model 3, when you always have a press car, why do you need an expensive personal car? You drive the press cars everywhere.
I believe tesla didn’t offer any ‘press’ cars which is why Alex bought one and is now selling it.
Old 06-02-19, 01:15 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

A lot of car reviewers on youtube (and any youtube channel for that matter) has some kind of way to donate money or buy special access to content in order to give them more money to provide even better content.
Old 06-02-19, 05:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't understand how he gets enough ad money to make a living off that, so it makes sense to me.
I believe he also works a regular job.

You'd be surprised how much some of these YouTubers make though.
Old 06-02-19, 07:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

So, Alex leased a new Hyundai. Turned in his KIA. Got rid of the model 3 (didn’t know he had one). So he essentially just leased a new daily driver. Glad he leased a hydrogen vehicle, it should be interesting.
Old 06-03-19, 04:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I am -- but the ones with millions of followers doing stuff that is not geared toward me, which I totally don't get. AoA is NOT one of those YouTubers....
Old 06-03-19, 05:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
AoA is NOT one of those YouTubers....
AoA is at 275K subscribers. Doug Demuro is at 2.8 million. People need to watch ads on their channels to make money, at least half the ad must be watched or all of it I think. I believe it is $18 per 1000 ad views.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-03-19 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-03-19, 09:37 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I believe he also works a regular job.

Especially in the toy opening, try on clothing, and playing games categories.

I ask my son why he is always watching some idiots play the games he likes instead of playing it himself.
Old 06-03-19, 09:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

"unboxing" videos have to be some of the most boring on youtube, but somehow very popular.
Old 06-03-19, 09:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

So, Alex leased a new Hyundai. Turned in his KIA. Got rid of the model 3 (didn’t know he had one). So he essentially just leased a new daily driver. Glad he leased a hydrogen vehicle, it should be interesting.
since the hyundai is a hydrogen vehicle, it can probably only be leased, like the mirai. he only got the 3 for in depth reviewing of what it would be like to live with one, and in particular the cheapest one you could get. it was very informative.

as for the hyrogen car, it's not interesting to most as it's not even available outside california.

AoA is at 275K subscribers. Doug Demuro is at 2.8 million.
wow, that's a massive difference. but it shows doug's doing something right, and i believe what he's doing is showing some personality and entertainment. mmarshall may like alex's "just the facts" type of reviews, but many just think they're too long and too boring.
Old 06-03-19, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
since the hyundai is a hydrogen vehicle, it can probably only be leased, like the mirai. he only got the 3 for in depth reviewing of what it would be like to live with one, and in particular the cheapest one you could get. it was very informative.

as for the hyrogen car, it's not interesting to most as it's not even available outside california.
Like it or not, in most places outside of California, there currently just isn't enough of an infrastructure in the U.S. for hydrogen/fuel-cell-powered vehicles. That, of course could (?) change with time, but, let's face it, in most places, one cannot simply pull into a gas station and expect be able to fill up with compressed hydrogen at 50,000 PSI.

mmarshall may like alex's "just the facts" type of reviews, but many just think they're too long and too boring.
Well, for that matter, some people think my reviews are too long and boring LOL.

Actually, I had not even heard of Alex until my brother sent me a sample-video of one of the Alex on Autos reviews....he told me he thought Alex was the best reviewer he had ever seen. The first time I watched it (I sat through the whole half-hour of it), I was also convinced that this guy knows his stuff.
Old 06-03-19, 10:39 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I noticed in the announcement of the new Hyundai, Alex calls it a "long term test" vehicle. My guess is that he writes off the costs as a business expense against his income for the reviews.

Alex can certainly be a bit dry in his reviews, but I really can't deal with Doug's clowning around or his stupid "Doug Score".
Old 06-03-19, 01:53 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its expensive to create content like this

Quick Reply: Alex on Autos going out of business?