Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alex on Autos going out of business?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-19, 01:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Alex on Autos going out of business?

So my Spidey-senses are telling me, Alex on Autos is on its last leg. On my Apple TV today, he has put out a pledge and is now offering subscriptions from You Tube.

Thoughts?
Old 06-01-19, 01:36 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 300 Posts

I don't think that's what's going on, Jill. I haven't seen the content you saw, but suggest another possible perspective which is having built up a sufficient follower base he may be in a position to trial bifurcated content and distinguish free to all vs paid premium. You may be right, but maybe he's just trying to take his business to the next level.

Edited to add I see it's a Patreon campaign. A lot of independent content creators do this, particularly in cases like this where a good foundation has been established and it's something people are willing to support.

Last edited by swajames; 06-01-19 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-01-19, 01:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Alex is arguably the best auto reviewer in the business. I hope his program stays free, but it would probably be worth a reasonable subscription-price, even if it doesn't.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-01-19 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-01-19, 02:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
having built up a sufficient follower base he may be in a position to trial bifurcated content and distinguish free to all vs paid premium.
I can't imagine there is a sizable demographic that watches these car reviews who would be willing to pay for these reviews. You might be right.
Old 06-01-19, 02:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I can't imagine there is a sizable demographic that watches these car reviews who would be willing to pay for these reviews. You might be right.
I wouldn't pay for the reviews. There are too many other choices out there. Personally don't watch AoA much anyway but I'm guessing that he might have a big enough audience that would.
Old 06-01-19, 03:06 PM
swajames
Pole Position

OK - it's exactly what I thought it was. In addition to the Patreon, there's a new premium sub option on youtube offering exclusive content and early access to certain other content. $4.99 per month.
Old 06-01-19, 03:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
OK - it's exactly what I thought it was. In addition to the Patreon, there's a new premium sub option on youtube offering exclusive content and early access to certain other content. $4.99 per month.
What is Patreon?
Old 06-01-19, 03:23 PM
swajames
Pole Position

What is Patreon?
It's a service where anyone including content creators can get ongoing subscription support. Interested parties can sign up and commit to a certain level of support per month for people or causes they want to support. It's usually just a few bucks. The goal is to get a larger group to commit so a few bucks per person adds up to a more worthwhile number over the entire contributor base.
Old 06-01-19, 03:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I wouldn't pay for the reviews.

I would, if it's reasonable....say, just a couple of dollars a month.
Old 06-01-19, 04:19 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I personally can’t stand his reviews- its like reading the brochure and they are way too long.
Old 06-01-19, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I personally can’t stand his reviews- its like reading the brochure and they are way too long.
That's just it. Though I agree his voice can get monotonous at times, unlike a lot of other "reviewers", he actually tells you something. When he gets done, you know the vehicle from stem to stern...and exactly what you are getting for your money.
Old 06-01-19, 04:54 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He mentioned that his team is going to buying more cars ala consumer reports to review so they need the cash to do so. They already bought a Tesla Model 3 and are bringing in a Hyundai Nexo as well. I don't think he's going out of business.
Old 06-01-19, 04:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom21
He mentioned that his team is going to buying more cars ala consumer reports to review so they need the cash to do so. They already bought a Tesla Model 3 and are bringing in a Hyundai Nexo as well. I don't think he's going out of business.
I would be surprised if he had the budget to “buy” those vehicles. Maybe lease them for the short term. mmmm. Sounds like his subscriptions would be just paying for this daily drivers.
Old 06-01-19, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

He did buy the tesla 3, and now he’s already selling it. I follow him on facebook and he gives some good posts and background on there.
Old 06-01-19, 08:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
He did buy the tesla 3, and now he’s already selling it. I follow him on facebook and he gives some good posts and background on there.
Thanks for the comment and info. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Alex on Autos going out of business?