Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Buick Encore GX

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 11:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2020 Buick Encore GX

The crossover craze has taken root throughout the car industry, but especially at Buick. The company says that 90% of its sales are of the upright utilities. So it's no surprise the brand is adding yet another model to the line-up, the 2020 Buick Encore GX.

Despite the name, the Encore GX doesn't appear to share anything with the current Encore, as GM says it uses a new platform. It's also larger than the regular Encore, though it's also smaller than the midsize Envision. One area in which its slightly bigger size benefits the GX is that it has nearly five more cubic feet of cargo space than the current Encore.

Other details about the crossover are scant. Buick hasn't even said what engine or transmission will be used. Buick did say the Encore GX will feature automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection and lane-keep assist as standard features, with the rear-camera mirror as an option. The current Encore will continue to be sold alongside the Encore GX, and it won't be replaced with the version shown at the Shanghai Auto Show. Pricing and availability will be announced later, along with other vehicle details.
Source
Old 05-30-19, 12:58 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Still suffering from Disney-car syndrome. Tiny wheels, too small wheel-wells, and too tall overall. Pleasant dash design, however.
Old 05-30-19, 01:32 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

That actually looks really good. If I lived a in a 'lil ciity I would buy it.
Old 05-30-19, 06:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Still suffering from Disney-car syndrome. Tiny wheels, too small wheel-wells, and too tall overall. Pleasant dash design, however.
I think the side profile looks great. At least it doesn’t have the ever popular black plastic around the wheels, and the taller sidewalls will make for a more comfortable ride.
Old 05-30-19, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think the side profile looks great. At least it doesn’t have the ever popular black plastic around the wheels, and the taller sidewalls will make for a more comfortable ride.

Most Encore customers probably won't put up with a stiff ride. You're buying something with a Buick shield on the hood.

With Opel now gone from the list of GM subsidiaries, I'm not surprised that the Encore GX is coming from a different platform. I'm concerned, though, that it might not have the Encore's generally good reliability.

Buick hasn't even said what engine or transmission will be used.

Other sources list 1.0L and 1.3L gas turbo-threes, but we'll see what the American market gets. Ford uses a 1.0L turbo three on the Ecosport, so it's not surprising if GM follows suit.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-31-19 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-30-19, 11:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The red accents in the grill look neat
Old 06-01-19, 02:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Not a bad SUV. Better looking inside and out than the Lexus NX or RAV4.
Old 06-01-19, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Notice something, Jill? They finally put the Buick tri-color shield in the middle of the steering wheel, instead of that cheap-looking chrome-outline. You and I both mentioned that lack a couple of years ago, when the color tri-shelds first came back to the grilles and trunk-lids.
Old 06-01-19, 03:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Notice something, Jill? They finally put the Buick tri-color shield in the middle of the steering wheel, instead of that cheap-looking chrome-outline. .
I do now....
Old 06-01-19, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I do now....

Might seem trivial to some people, but IMO it adds a nice touch. I've been suggesting it to the Buick reps at the auto shows for the last several years.
Old 10-05-20, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's John Davis's take on the GX. I've always liked John (I've met him and talked with him several times). Wonderful guy to talk to.....totally different from many of the self-centered attitudes of a number of others in the auto press. He's not quite as sharp or as thorough a reviewer as Alex Dykes, but part of that is that the Motorweek show's producers just won't give him enough time in the videos.....he has to condense everything into about 5 minutes. Alex, on the other hand, typically gets 25-30 minutes.

Old 10-10-20, 05:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Truly astonishing that a 3 cylinder is deemed acceptable...155HP...where a RAV4 is 204hp from an I4 with better fuel economy as well

Good review nonetheless by the Motorweek

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-10-20 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-10-20, 07:45 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Are you trying to sell us or yourself? Nice small CUV. Too bad Buick can't build in the USA. I just find it ironic your buying a CUV after listening to your incessant whining on the loss of sedans. I get it though, so need to reply with a 2 page retort.
Old 10-10-20, 08:04 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here's John Davis's take on the GX. I've always liked John (I've met him and talked with him several times). Wonderful guy to talk to.....totally different from many of the self-centered attitudes of a number of others in the auto press. He's not quite as sharp or as thorough a reviewer as Alex Dykes, but part of that is that the Motorweek show's producers just won't give him enough time in the videos.....he has to condense everything into about 5 minutes. Alex, on the other hand, typically gets 25-30 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=435ZObjp32U
And here is Motorweek starring John Davis 42 years ago:
Old 10-10-20, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Truly astonishing that a 3 cylinder is deemed acceptable...155HP..
Whether we deem them "acceptable" or not is of little consequence at this point. Get used to it. Smaller ICEs are coming, whether we want them or not....unless you go wth a full-electric or hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle. I grew up in an age of large-displacement engines, and learned to drive on a 3.7L straight-six.....which was considered modest back then, but, today, is larger than probably the vast majority of powerplants in today's vehicles, unless they are heavy-duty trucks/SUVs or exotic performance-cars.

You also have to consider that even loaded, AWD Encore GX's are only a little over 3000 lbs., so the engine doesn't have a lot of weight to lug around or for the brakes to stop.

where a RAV4 is 204hp from an I4 with better fuel economy as well
I looked at new RAV-4s.....and even did a full-review on them. Yes, good powertrains...but, although it looks much better than the previous-generation RAV-4, I found the rest of the vehicle to be somewhat cheap in design and materials, and definitely not as pleasant inside as the two-tone Encore GX interior. The Encore GX was also the perfect exterior size for what my daily driving and parking needs are becoming today...not as tiny or Mickey-Mouse-like as the regular Encore/Trax (B-class crossovers), but not as bulky as the RAV-4 or other C-class crossovers.

Good review nonetheless by the Motorweek
John could easily do even better if Motorweek's producers would give him more time. They squeeze his videos in with those of Pat Goss (the Motorweek Technician) and industry-news announcers on the TV show. But he probably would not be quite as detailed as, say, Alex Dykes, though...that's just not is style. Alex describes everything on the vehicle down to a gnat's a**.

What I like about John, though, is that he is a down-to-earth guy, and does not act or talk like a lot of other car-people in that business.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-10-20 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 2020 Buick Encore GX