Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California considers internal combustion engine ban (at a future unspecified date)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 09:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Anyway, all that pollution in China is because of all the goods Americans are buying.
right because china doesn't sell to anyone else.

Im don't really want to turn this into a global warming discussion, but its going to leak out a bit from me.
ok let's just stop right here.

We probably have the cleanest energy generation in the country.
hard to say, but overall air pollution is mid pack which is probably impressive per capita.

http://scorecard.goodguide.com/ranki...e=Air+releases
Old 05-20-19, 09:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

sorry folks, posts about weather patterns deleted... that's off-topic and will only become heated.
Old 05-20-19, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Anyway, all that pollution in China is because of all the goods Americans are buying.
??????

......And never mind the fact that they themselves have a population four times that of the U.S., which, even with wages low by American standards, still generates a huge amount of demand within China itself. And this, in a country with little or no environmental regulations.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-20-19 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-20-19, 11:56 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Aside all the issues with electric cars such as range, long charging times, battery life, severely reduced range in cold climates, environmental impact from lithium mining, lack of charging infrastructure, and so on, I am surprised nobody really notices the elephant in the room - most of electricity is still produced by burning fossil fuels. This alone defeats any environmental benefits of the electric cars, they are basically like vegans that secretly eat meat.

That being said, while I don't give two flying rats about the environmental nonsense, I have nothing against electric vehicles, I love the instant torque and stealth, and the fact that electric engines are simple and don't require all the maintenance of an ICE. In fact, I once had a deposit on a Nissan Leaf, but they couldn't get me one for about three months, so they returned my deposit and I went with something else. In the future if at some point recharging an electric cars becomes as quick and convenient as fueling up a conventional vehicles, I'll happily make the switch.
Old 05-20-19, 12:05 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't care what California does. Unless it conflicts with Federal law or violates the Constitution, they can do whatever the hell they want. I don't live there and it's really none of my business. That's what the founding father intended.

Just don't try to push that to the Federal level. Not the job of the Federal government.
Old 05-20-19, 12:06 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

If Cali wants to ban all IC cars and buy everyone Teslas, I'm fine with it. As long as it's their state taxpayers paying for it.
Old 05-20-19, 12:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Another big issue with electric cars, and this is really manufacturers shooting themselves in the foot, is the fact that there is no single standard for chargers, and so you can't charge a Nissan Leaf at a Tesla charging station, and vice versa. Charging stations for electric cars are already scarce, with many of them poorly maintained with broken plugs, blocked access, queue of other cars waiting to charge, etc. There are charging stations that have multiple plugs to fit different vehicles, but its going to be pretty ridiculous with growing fleet of electric cars and all the different chargers. Imagine if we had different gas stations for different car makes? Unless one of the manufacturers acts quickly to invest into charging infrastructure for its own cars, and monopolizes the market.
Old 05-20-19, 07:37 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
??????

......And never mind the fact that they themselves have a population four times that of the U.S., which, even with wages low by American standards, still generates a huge amount of demand within China itself. And this, in a country with little or no environmental regulations.
Yes, the government has had a history of little to no regulations on emissions. But you’re discounting the fact that most of the population in China had until recently been very remote and very rural. We are talking about farming communities. All the factories that are there were built to satisfy Westerners long list of consumer products, not China’s. Cheap labor and low regulations made it the perfect area for that type of growth. Just because the pollution isn’t in our backyard doesn’t mean we are not the cause of it.

Last edited by RXSF; 05-20-19 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the government has had a history of little to no regulations on emissions. But you’re discounting the fact that most of the population in China had until recently been very remote and very rural. We are talking about farming communities. All the factories that are there were built to satisfy Westerners long list of consumer products, not China’s. Cheap labor and low regulations made it the perfect area for that type of growth. Just because the pollution isn’t in our backyard doesn’t mean we are not the cause of it.

China itself, though, is the world's fastest-growing auto market. 80% of all Buicks are sold there, and the number of several other brands is skyrocketing as well. But since the thread-topic is electric and/or other alternate-fuel vehicles, it's doubtful that they will be popular in China anytime soon, as the environmental regs (or lack of) just don't favor them. In fact, even tree-loving California is going to have trouble enforcing their rule...as much of this thread has illustrated.
Old 05-20-19, 08:13 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

elon musk bribing politicians?

I'm ok with a 25 year phase out plan.
Old 05-20-19, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
elon musk bribing politicians?
His recent past shows that he just might be dumb enough to try it.
Old 05-20-19, 09:05 PM
RXSF

China itself, though, is the world's fastest-growing auto market. 80% of all Buicks are sold there, and the number of several other brands is skyrocketing as well. But since the thread-topic is electric and/or other alternate-fuel vehicles, it's doubtful that they will be popular in China anytime soon, as the environmental regs (or lack of) just don't favor them. In fact, even tree-loving California is going to have trouble enforcing their rule...as much of this thread has illustrated.
I have to look into it some more but I thought China has incentives for electric car purchases. That’s why Tesla is building their factory in shanghai. Cities like Beijing already have those days where you can’t drive depending on license plate odd/even number because if smog, so owning an electric car would mean you can drive it every day
Old 05-20-19, 09:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have to look into it some more but I thought China has incentives for electric car purchases.
OK...if so, I'll stand corrected. I haven't heard of any, though.
Old 05-20-19, 09:43 PM
RXSF

OK...if so, I'll stand corrected. I haven't heard of any, though.
This article is from March of this year, talking about how the electric car subsidies are slowly being phased out, meaning that they have had subsidies for a few years now.

China’s Ministry of Finance announced the changes in a statement on its website, with Bloomberg noting “the subsidy for pure battery electric cars with a driving range of 400 kilometers (250 miles) and above will be cut by half, to 25,000 yuan ($3,700) per vehicle from 50,000 yuan.” Electric cars must now have a range of at least 250 miles to qualify for any subsidy.
https://electrek.co/2019/03/26/china...car-subsidies/
Old 05-21-19, 08:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

on the charging side i think there will eventually be standards to manage that, but a tesla plug is a bit like an apple lightning connector, they like it to be unique and locked in... in the case of shared charging though, if non-tesla cars could use the tesla chargers, i think tesla owners would be upset if they pull up and find all the spots are filled with jaguars, audis, hyundais, etc. i did just see on a video though that at least the app is smart enough to show how many free spots are available at any supercharging center.

about california, someone's got to lead, and eventually, yes, electric cars will make more sense (more reliable, lower TCO) for the majority of people than fossil fuel cars.

Quick Reply: California considers internal combustion engine ban (at a future unspecified date)