Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury car percentages

Old 05-15-19, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I know that mmarshall (and others) like to tout how GM and other American car companies have better quality products than they used to. But BFD--so does everyone.
It's not that I think that GM products are necessarily that great in reliability (a number are not), though the smaller, Opel-based Buicks have had a generally good reputation for staying out of the shop. Most sources admit that, in the American market, Lexus is probably at the top of the list for general reliability. But there are a number of things about the (newer) Lexus products that I do not like, especially compared to earlier ones. And as for many GM products, I do like the fit/finish, interiors, low noise levels, and driving-refinement. Buick also gives you a standard Lexus-length warranty (6/70, 4/50) at generally lower cost.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-19 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 04:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't think GM will ever gain market share.
'ever' is a long time.

It is admirable that you have changed brands all the time. BUT you don't keep them long enough and the fact that your Jeep was so lovable is irrelevant as you did not buy another one.
'long enough' in your opinion. and just because i didn't buy ANOTHER jeep does not make my ownership experience 'irrelevant'. we can just agree to disagree.

Now contrast that to my family, my father hated his Lexus and knew it was not right for him, so he went with an Avalon realizing it was the correct vehicle. Or any case, my mother knew her past 4Runner was not to be given away, so we kept it and she got another one. (we know, you don't like the new 4Runner) If you buy another Genesis, than that is very telling.
i'm NOT a 'brand' person. i buy what i like. i find that every brand makes vehicles that vary from appealing to vomit-inducing.
Old 05-15-19, 04:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

'long enough' in your opinion. and just because i didn't buy ANOTHER jeep does not make my ownership experience 'irrelevant'.
Jeep did not gain market share after you left for Genesis. What you do next after your G90 will be very telling.
Old 05-15-19, 04:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Jeep did not gain market share after you left for Genesis. What you do next after your G90 will be very telling.
And, don't forget...by the time bit is ready for his next vehicle, the Genesis GV SUV will probably be on the market.
Old 05-15-19, 04:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Genesis GV SUV will probably be on the market.
Hyundai could also cancel the brand too. But yes, an SUV should be ready by then.
Old 05-15-19, 05:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

very telling of what, i'm not sure. i guess to you if i don't get another genesis i'm not brand loyal or perhaps you conclude i was disappointed in my genesis experience (not at all) but i've never been brand loyal so the only 'telling' thing is that i'm not brand loyal.

and like most consumers, i don't claim in any way to be consistent. i had 2 suvs but for the hell of it decided to go back to a sedan. my next vehicle could well be electric and so if genesis doesn't have one that might be the end of my genesis adventure until perhaps after the next vehicle.
Old 05-15-19, 05:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
very telling of what, i'm not sure. i guess to you if i don't get another genesis i'm not brand loyal or perhaps you conclude i was disappointed in my genesis experience (not at all) but i've never been brand loyal so the only 'telling' thing is that i'm not brand loyal.

and like most consumers, i don't claim in any way to be consistent. i had 2 suvs but for the hell of it decided to go back to a sedan. my next vehicle could well be electric and so if genesis doesn't have one that might be the end of my genesis adventure until perhaps after the next vehicle.
It would be very telling how strong the appeal of Genesis is to keep you in the brand (and not leave) when your current experience ends. I already expect Genesis to have a better retention rate that Chrysler (your Jeep brand). Toyota has the highest retention rate.

^^^ all extremely important in gaining market share.
Old 05-15-19, 06:13 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
"......NOT better than each car's competitors......"

Ah, as an XT4 owner that used to have a Lexus NX the interior is as good or better to me and the infotainment system on the Caddy is far superior. The Entune system is crap and needs a total revision along with eliminating the awful touchpad. But it's hard to get over the bias in this group which keeps spewing out nonsense.
Better than one peer is not best/class leading/etc. BFD--show me anywhere it is written where the NX is class leading. European competitors are what the XT4 needs to top in this class.
Old 05-15-19, 09:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

It would be very telling how strong the appeal of Genesis is to keep you in the brand (and not leave) when your current experience ends.
maybe for some, but not me as i truly don't care about branding. and nothing stays the same. cars, trends, my tastes, your tastes, ... we often think they don't change, but they do.

I already expect Genesis to have a better retention rate that Chrysler (your Jeep brand).
genesis vs chrysler, specifically jeep, i don't know how you could say that... genesis being brand new, and a brand like jeep having some 80+ years of heritage and many DIE HARD fans who have one after another after another.

Toyota has the highest retention rate.
not sure where you get that data from but i don't doubt it. toyota's well earned reputation for reliability, pleasant, reasonably priced appliance like vehicles, and so many buyers wouldn't consider owning anything else. while it's great for toyota, i consider that kind of customer very narrow-minded for not even considering anything else, but as they say, for them, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. but as has been pointed out, gm still has the biggest share of the u.s. car market, DESPITE decades of problems... some people are very loyal and will only go from brand to brand within gm. crazy.

one of my neighbors ONLY buys mercedes. he's had a dozen of them probably. all the talk on here of problems and he's kept some of his for decades... he has a trusted independent mechanic, and owning several cars, he's never without one to drive anyway.

but i've known VERY few people who stick with one brand exclusively. some are just stubborn. or fear change despite not even liking what they drive.

^^^ all extremely important in gaining market share.
not necessarily, high retention rate may box you in to a limited appeal sub-market size.

cars aren't like carbonated drinks, i believe the car market is more fragmented than ever, with lower and lower retention rates. old buyers may have stuck and continue to stick with specific brands, but i think younger buyers are much more adventurous, a great thing.