Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-19, 05:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

it’s a fact that the u.s. driving test is almost worthless.

it’s a fact that millions are driving without licenses and/or insurance.

it’s a fact that millions use their phones while driving despite laws in many states against it.

About then last one, i see the only solution as technological... the car and/or phone can ‘know’ if you’re driving and should simply stop the screen from working until you’re stopped.
Old 05-03-19, 05:54 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

I was driving home from Bay Area the other night in my Pick up that is lifted so you can see in every car. One car had an iPad size screen leaned up against the windshield and they were all watching a TV show. They were hauling azz though..lol.
Old 05-03-19, 06:05 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

its absolutely HORRIBLE here in Orlando. either 5 below or the exact speed limit. then you get two of them blocking both lanes in traffic driving everyone behind them crazy, and stomping on the brakes if you get too close to them. almost everyone on the road has their nose in their phone and have close calls to accidents constantly because of it and did get hit once by someone texting while driving. then you also have the people that flat out refuse to let you over going out of their way to race as fast as they can to close the gap so you can get over. wait, then theirs also the double drive thru mcdonalds where one guy butts in front of the other thinking they can get their food faster. all it does is disrupt the flow and everyone gets the wrong order.

there is no such thing as driving etiquette anymore, at all.

i lived in south Florida for a number of years. down there everyone drives like a maniac and it was a breat of fresh air to be able to go 80-90 routinely on highways without having to worry about getting pulled. everyone is fast down there even the cops. you gotta be doing something really stupid to get pulled over down there. then i moved back to Orlando and had forgot how slow people drive here.
Old 05-03-19, 06:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
I was driving home from Bay Area the other night in my Pick up that is lifted so you can see in every car. One car had an iPad size screen leaned up against the windshield and they were all watching a TV show. They were hauling azz though..lol.
I've seen business examples where a person has used 200 gb+ of 4G data on their $4k laptop and don't know why (less corps have MDM than one would imagine). I dunno what a gig goes for but the general rule was $15/per. Not joking, one case I heard of was a security guard routinely watched Sons of Anarchy.
Old 05-03-19, 06:33 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I dont mind slow drivers. I just go around them. I do mind is 2 or 3 people each on their own lanes "racing" to see who is the slowest of them all.
Old 05-03-19, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well, in the U.S. the tests van vary from state to state. Also, one thing is much different today from when I got my (Virginia) license a half-century ago. Back then, it was all or nothing. If you passed the driving test (which was given by an actual unformed cop, not a state-contractor) you got a full-license good for anywhere, 24/7, unless there were actual printed limitations on it like no driving at night. Today, you get a graduated license....limited driving priviledges for a certain length of time, then, if you keep your nose clean and no chargeable accidents, a less-restrictive license.....several stages, up to a full, unrestricted license.

it’s a fact that millions use their phones while driving despite laws in many states against it.
Yes, both of these statements are correct, but that's because of lax enforcement, and the fact that there are simply too many driving-scofflaws on the road, and not enough cops to police these huge numbers. Plus, some of the available cops either spend too much time at the donut shop, or sitting in a parking lot gabbing with each other when they should be on the road, writing tickets.

Also, another thing that would nab more of those driving without a valid license (or with a suspended/revoked license) would be occasional check-points set up to specifically check licenses, similar to the alcohol / DWI check-points set up on holidays to check for drunken drivers. The courts have already ruled on the constitutionality of DWI checkpoints.....I don't think there would be any problems with the cops checking for valid licenses.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-03-19 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 07:22 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
honestly, Its the baby boomers. if you try to enter a freeway from an on-ramp anywhere in DFW at any speed less than the speed limit, you are suicidal and you're going to kill everyone stuck behind you.
This is my only issue with “slow drivers.” When merging onto the freeway they endanger the lives of countless drivers by entering the highway at speeds 20-25mph slower than existing traffic. I don’t slow down to allow them to merge because they are placing me in danger. Many of these idiots are driving late model vehicles with the power and torque to properly merge onto a freeway so I don’t understand.
Old 05-03-19, 07:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

when youre stuck behind a slow car, its 90% of the time what I call the Five C's: Camry, Corolla, CRV, Civic, or Crown Vic
Old 05-03-19, 07:56 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
lol. That was funny.
Thanks, it was supposed to illicit a chuckle, no hard feelings intended.

‘Honestly’ that’s not ‘it’, certainly not by itself. As other have stated, it’s also phones, weed, people distracted generally, people trying to understand directions from their nav and people listening to talk radio that’s all geared to winding people up...

I’m in the retiree state (FL) and slow drivers certainly isn’t an issue here.

this kinda contradicts the point that people drive slow...
I meant to type "homicidal" instead of "suicidal" in the second iteration. Word choice aside, it is more dangerous to enter a freeway at too slow a speed (for ALL involved), than it is to enter the freeway at a higher speed than traffic. Numerous traffic studies show this. The only reason for it is either:

A) scared to merge (in which case stay off the highway).
B) car can't do it (in which case stay off the highway)
C) afraid to drive at all (why are you behind the wheel?)
D) You're distracted (Why are you behind the wheel?)

I don't care who you are, we all make mistakes, but I see the same people doing the same **** at the same times in my area ALL. THE. TIME.

I don't give a damn if you want to go slow, go slow. But speed up to the flow of traffic until after you have cleared the ramp, and THEN slow down. It's called being considerate. Also, stay in the right hand lane (or lanes) and leave the left one for those of us who aren't afraid to drive.

About then last one, i see the only solution as technological... the car and/or phone can ‘know’ if you’re driving and should simply stop the screen from working until you’re stopped.
I agree. When we get into a car, the car should take over the drivers phone, allowing bluetooth calls and voice activiation only. But until tech like Android Auto and Apple Carplay becomes standard and mandated across the board, that can't happen.

Originally Posted by Propulsion
This is my only issue with “slow drivers.” When merging onto the freeway they endanger the lives of countless drivers by entering the highway at speeds 20-25mph slower than existing traffic. I don’t slow down to allow them to merge because they are placing me in danger. Many of these idiots are driving late model vehicles with the power and torque to properly merge onto a freeway so I don’t understand.
I was behind a grandpa the other day, merging onto a 75mph (yes, that was the speed limit) freeway. We entered the freeway doing 35mph. Thirty-five. The Semi in the lane we merged into couldn't move over and had to lock up. I also locked up and flew around grandpa on the grass/shoulder and floored it to avoid certain death. I caught it all on dashcams. Freakin rediculous. If I had been in my ES I would have been killed. Because I was in a 500hp pickup I was able to react my way out of the situation and get the hell away as fast as possible.

****ty part? Grandpa probably thought I was a ***** for going around his *** on the shoulder. But what was I supposed to do? Die?

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 05-03-19 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 07:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
when youre stuck behind a slow car, its 90% of the time what I call the Five C's: Camry, Corolla, CRV, Civic, or Crown Vic
Good, so it's not just me and CR-Vs. But I wouldn't say Civic? I would add ES xxx to the list. Not really Corolla either from my observation, but for a car model, then I think it may be more stereotypical, and no longer the distracted driving thing...my .02
Old 05-03-19, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Maybe we need to change the forum’s name to Car Rant.
Old 05-03-19, 08:33 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

But have we considered that most people are just incompetent?
Old 05-03-19, 08:36 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
But have we considered that most people are just incompetent?
incompetent, but more so indifferent i'd say
Old 05-03-19, 09:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
incompetent, but more so indifferent i'd say
The other day this person outpaced me out of the gym, and got in a car in the closest space, handicapped. She was maybe 30 on a good day, could be younger. I saw a permit in the mirror. For her to do that, I would say indifferent, as are the folks who park in the "this space for parents with children" spaces lol

I told my buddy they can always say, "I have children, they are now in their 50's and live in Connecticut. So?"

Some people don't want to be perceived as not doing things right, and some are as you said indifferent...but again I agree slow driving is not an age thing it's a distraction thing from what I can tell

p.s. my mom got pulled over for speeding this week in her town. Was let go with a warning. For the most part I truly believe LE is very much on our side whenever they can be.
Old 05-03-19, 09:12 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The other day this person outpaced me out of the gym, and got in a car in the closest space, handicapped. She was maybe 30 on a good day, could be younger. I saw a permit in the mirror. For her to do that, I would say indifferent, as are the folks who park in the "this space for parents with children" spaces lol

I told my buddy they can always say, "I have children, they are now in their 50's and live in Connecticut. So?"

Some people don't want to be perceived as not doing things right, and some are as you said indifferent...but again I agree slow driving is not an age thing it's a distraction thing from what I can tell

p.s. my mom got pulled over for speeding this week in her town. Was let go with a warning. For the most part I truly believe LE is very much on our side whenever they can be.
i'd put distracted under the indifference category, people who actually care about what they're doing generally don't allow themselves to become distracted

i truthfully believe that the low speed limits on these highways contribute to the distractions, pretty much everyone has time and capacity to text at 55... but double that and i don't think so

Quick Reply: Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!