Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 03:33 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!

Out here in California there seems to be a growing class of extremely slow drivers.

I am not talking the normal slow-mo who putts along at the speed limit. Although this is in itself an annoying class of drivers, when on the freeway and everyone is doing 75 and they are maxing out at a solid 54. On a side note, I am all about driving slow and safe in neighborhoods or city streets. I am not advocating reckless driving here.

What I am talking about is people who seem to be going 15 to 20 miles an hour below the speed limit. Seems like more and more of these people on the road. Today it was an epidemic. It is just like everyone is barely moving. Backing up traffic. They never pull over. People are going insane behind them and then making dangerous passes. Get behind one of these people when getting on the freeway and it feels like certain death, trying to merge into the pace of traffic at 30 mph....

Is it legal weed? Is it texting? Drunks? Is it just plain rudeness, like," I am going to set the pace?"

I personally think a lot of these people are unlicensed and incompetent.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 05-02-19, 04:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I wouldn't worry. These people eventually get weeded out through extreme road rage sooner or later
Old 05-02-19, 04:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I wouldn't worry. These people eventually get weeded out through extreme road rage sooner or later
Haha. That is funny
Old 05-02-19, 04:55 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

It’s the weed baby!
and Prius Drivers!
Old 05-02-19, 05:05 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Here in Florida, this sign means, drive 72mph in the left lane and park it! ;-)
Old 05-02-19, 05:19 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

It might just be Q-tips!
Old 05-02-19, 05:35 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

it's the $4+ per gal. premium gas prices + overworked & tired commuters.. annoying af
Old 05-02-19, 05:38 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome to South Florida, I thought I was the only one that had this observation. They deliberately create their own traffic jams. They clog up the left lane, pacing tractor trailers and or following tractor trailers in their blind spots. Needless to say, for my safety I have to drive faster than I would normally; just so I am not close when the imminent collision happens.

There's also the other annoying subset who will drive for miles clogging up traffic and as soon as you signal to move to pass them they sped up. It's gotten so bad here, I no longer go for fun drives on the weekend just to avoid these encounters. Driving use to be fun until these degenerates took over the highways. You can tell how i feel about these types, it's a daily saga commuting to Miami for work.

PS. The Toyota drivers are the worst it seems, scamry, corolla etc. l also notice that many Lexus drivers on a whole are just slow.
Old 05-02-19, 06:09 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

honestly, Its the baby boomers. They're getting old AF and can't drive (Sorry, not sorry ). **** drives me bananas too, because if you try to enter a freeway from an on-ramp anywhere in DFW at any speed less than the speed limit, you are suicidal and you're going to kill everyone stuck behind you, which makes you homocidal too.

oh and uhh,

In b4 MMarshall, SW17LS and LexusCTJill.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 05-03-19 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-02-19, 06:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
oh and uhh,

lol. That was funny.
Old 05-02-19, 06:54 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Never fails for me too. I always somehow magically get stuck behind the *beep* who wants to go slow. One even waved his hands at me literally after 4-5 people passed him (he was going slow in the left lane and they were passing on the right). On a road where everyone goes 55 (speed limit 45) and he was going like 35-40.
Old 05-02-19, 07:27 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i know he had to go, as did his 2nd and 3rd accounts, but i really wish that bright young man theory816 who brought innovation to everything he did wasn't banned... no forum should be without a good troll haha
Old 05-03-19, 12:50 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

There is absolutely no question, this is due to cell phone usage. I've already done the study and it's plain to see. Every single person I've passed, who is holding up traffic, was looking down at something. Total selfishness and disrespect. This newer problem will only get worse, as laws and penalties are way too soft. There is also a major lack of police and highway patrol presence for the amount of drivers out there.

Now, on the other hand, I have seen an even larger increase in speeders and reckless driving on the freeway. Every single day on my commute, someone is going 90-100 and/or passing others in the slow lanes. Again, complete selfishness and disrespect for everyone else. The speeders are the ones who are causing these horrible accidents we read about on our local Facebook community pages and see on the evening news. Again, laws are too soft and there is no longer CHP presence.

I've done further studies on this and I've concluded a few things. As our (CA) population continues to grow and more people clog the freeways, there has not been an increase in law enforcement patrols. There has also been more homes and roads built, making it harder for the patrols to cover all areas. The ratio for patrol officers to the public has been widening. So it's the wild west out there, where people get complacent into thinking they can get away with speeding and phone use due to never seeing a highway patrol. And if one wants to break it down further, this is also due to the way CA votes. The last few governors and mayors could care less about laws, the police departments, and adding safety to our roadways. They are too busy being compassionate, kicking offenders out of jail, and saving the earth and the rest of the world. I'd love to see a local politician who focuses on our daily safety, make laws much stiffer, and keep DUI and reckless drivers in jail instead of early release.
Old 05-03-19, 05:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

honestly, Its the baby boomers.
‘Honestly’ that’s not ‘it’, certainly not by itself. As other have stated, it’s also phones, weed, people distracted generally, people trying to understand directions from their nav and people listening to talk radio that’s all geared to winding people up...

I’m in the retiree state (FL) and slow drivers certainly isn’t an issue here.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-03-19 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 05:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

LOL you know what happened to me last Friday. In looking through the responses, I would go with the distracted driving element. It's not the stereotypical older driver like it once was.

It's not just driving, it's entering the gym at 5 AM. There will be someone who has their head completely down, doing something on their phone, but if you try to pass they walk faster, it's uncanny (string barbed wire at your feet and will not let you pass).

I told my state trooper buddy what happened to me and he said you didn't get a ticket because you told them the other person accelerated, right? He said he was going to get a ticket in TX for speeding in a similar situation, but the TX troop did the courtesy thing. In NJ a fellow troop threw the book at him screaming lol but admitted he was having a bad day and backed off.

As soon as I set foot in work this AM? A colleague was saying wth everyone driving 15 mph under the limit....lol

Again, not the stereotypical older driver. How many people do you see driving with hands at 10 and 2? It's not all old drivers. This has been discouraged since 1992. Yet it's 2019.

Sounds cliché, but maybe everyone should be required to attend BMW driving school (the free one aka Ultimate Driving Experience) and sharpen up a little and go back to the basics. Go ahead and try sending emails while you drive there.

Quick Reply: Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!