Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does anyone know why Lexus only made 1 keyhole on its newer cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-19, 12:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Automakers have been deleting the passenger-side lock since the days that most cars started coming with a fob (even with a physical key). I'm pretty sure my 2000 Acura TL had no passenger side lock, and there was definitely no trunk lock.

I know my '07 IS had a trunk lock though. Can't remember passenger side (access to the physical keyhole was under a pop-off cover).

Lesson for all of us--test your physical key every once in a while.
Correct. I remember test driving a 2000 or 2001 Jetta and noting that it didn't have the keyhole on the passenger side. This definitely isn't new.
Old 04-22-19, 01:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 for an auto locksmith
Old 04-22-19, 06:58 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Are you the first owner? Maybe the key fob was not the original. So the key may not work.
I am the second owner. The door actuator was changed once by the original owner. Not sure what repair shop did he brought it to.

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
The simple answer is price and profit.
Yet they have automatic door open sensors on both sides of the door when you touch the door handle. Doesn't the sensor cost more than a key cylinder lock?

Originally Posted by geko29
Some cars have a keyhole underneath the trim on the passenger door handle--don't know if yours is among these. you just carefully pry it off and then use the key as normal.
I looked at the owner's manual, I don't think it has one.

Originally Posted by JDR76
My GS has one on the driver's door, and one on the trunk lid. I'd have to check my Highlander. I know there isn't one on the passenger door. Not sure about the rear hatch.
My first gen Lexus has one wide open, why can't my new Lexus have one? At least they could've hid the keyhole under the license plate lights for a cleaner look.

Originally Posted by bagwell
appears the OP's vehicle is a 3rd generation RX.
Nice guess.

To everyone who said to hire a locksmith, I was going to do that. All locksmiths I called quoted me for $95 up. Too expensive. I borrowed a DIY door opener kit and did it with a few friends. Finally unlocked the door, albeit the paint inside the door jamb was a bit scratched from the tool. Afterwards, we opened the hood and put in a brand new battery. I'm a happy camper now. Now I need to ask the first owner about where he got his door actuator repaired and chase after who did it and have them redo the job.

I'm still mad that Lexus entirely removed the keyhole for the passenger side and rear tailgate. For aesthetic purposes that is real stupid. If they were going for aesthetics then they should've hid the keyhole under the door handle and under the license plate lights. That way, not only it achieves the clean look, but the keyhole wouldn't easily be dirty and it deters car thefts (as it is harder to find keyholes). Next thing I think Lexus is also stupid for doing is their ugly grilles. This is the main reason why I bought a 3rd gen RX instead of 4th gen to avoid it in the first place.
Old 04-22-19, 07:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987

Yet they have automatic door open sensors on both sides of the door when you touch the door handle. Doesn't the sensor cost more than a key cylinder lock?
Yes--but virtually no one uses the passenger side key hole. People barely use the driver side key hole. Your very rare situation is looking for a redundancy of a redundancy.

Last edited by tex2670; 04-23-19 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-23-19, 03:48 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Yes--but visually no one uses the passenger side key hole. People barely use the driver side key hole. Your very rare situation is looking for a redundancy of a redundancy.
This. The only time I've used the driver's door keyhole in the past 20 years is to roll up the windows and close the sunroof without getting into the car. If the nannies would let me do it from the remote (they can be opened, but not closed with the remote), even that would be unnecessary.

Though obviously it does happen, the situations where the battery is dead, the car is locked and the key cylinder is broken are probably vanishingly rare.
Old 04-23-19, 05:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987
I am the second owner. The door actuator was changed once by the original owner. Not sure what repair shop did he brought it to.

I looked at the owner's manual, I don't think it has one.

My first gen Lexus has one wide open, why can't my new Lexus have one? At least they could've hid the keyhole under the license plate lights for a cleaner look.

Nice guess.

To everyone who said to hire a locksmith, I was going to do that. All locksmiths I called quoted me for $95 up. Too expensive. I borrowed a DIY door opener kit and did it with a few friends. Finally unlocked the door, albeit the paint inside the door jamb was a bit scratched from the tool. Afterwards, we opened the hood and put in a brand new battery. I'm a happy camper now. Now I need to ask the first owner about where he got his door actuator repaired and chase after who did it and have them redo the job.

I'm still mad that Lexus entirely removed the keyhole for the passenger side and rear tailgate. For aesthetic purposes that is real stupid. If they were going for aesthetics then they should've hid the keyhole under the door handle and under the license plate lights. That way, not only it achieves the clean look, but the keyhole wouldn't easily be dirty and it deters car thefts (as it is harder to find keyholes). Next thing I think Lexus is also stupid for doing is their ugly grilles. This is the main reason why I bought a 3rd gen RX instead of 4th gen to avoid it in the first place.
Glad you got it opened! I have wondered at times on my other car, what if the battery died and I can't get the trunk opened due to no power. In that case I suppose there is a keyhole on the driver door, and a keyhole on the trunk, so 2 ways, hood is cable operated, trunk electric, battery mounted in trunk.

Aren't you looking at the glass as half empty? I'd be happy to be back on the road after the issue you experienced...my .02
Old 04-23-19, 05:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i find it funny that it's lexus designers fault a door lock wasnt repaired properly. Yea your old lexus has 3 door locks...cuz its old before keyless entry was invented. To answer your question you dont need multiple keyholes when you have keyless entry. You complain now but imagine losing your key and having to pay labor and parts to rekey 3 door locks vs just the one that comes with keyless entry.

You could easily just take off the door panel to reattach the cable faster and less hassle than bothering the previous owner, hunting down the shop that did it, driving it there (if its even local), and probably having to leave the car for them to fix it. You bought a used car, obviously not checking the mechanical lock before purchase. This is what potentially comes with the territory when you buy a used car.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 04-23-19 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-23-19, 09:35 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 880 Likes on 663 Posts

The window and sunroof closing anti-jam feature works when you do Not hold the button after triggering it.
If you are defending against an intruder you should lift and Hold the button to force the window closed.

The remote window roll down works by holding the fob Unlock while they open fully or partially.
If the fob could close the windows by holding you might attempt it while not watching and close a window
on a child's hand...or head.
Old 04-23-19, 08:00 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes--but virtually no one uses the passenger side key hole. People barely use the driver side key hole. Your very rare situation is looking for a redundancy of a redundancy.
Well I do use the passenger side. In places where there's tight spaces and I enter/exit from the passenger side. And if someone loses their key fob they can use the valet key for emergencies or for temporary use until they can get a new key.

Originally Posted by geko29
Though obviously it does happen, the situations where the battery is dead, the car is locked and the key cylinder is broken are probably vanishingly rare.
Wow, I must be one of the rare ones. Better go buy a lottery ticket.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Glad you got it opened! I have wondered at times on my other car, what if the battery died and I can't get the trunk opened due to no power. In that case I suppose there is a keyhole on the driver door, and a keyhole on the trunk, so 2 ways, hood is cable operated, trunk electric, battery mounted in trunk.

Aren't you looking at the glass as half empty? I'd be happy to be back on the road after the issue you experienced...my .02
I was glad when it unlocked, very happy. However, it wasn't too urgent, I have my other Lexus to drive while I was waiting on my friends to let me use their DIY door opener kit.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i find it funny that it's lexus designers fault a door lock wasnt repaired properly. Yea your old lexus has 3 door locks...cuz its old before keyless entry was invented. To answer your question you dont need multiple keyholes when you have keyless entry. You complain now but imagine losing your key and having to pay labor and parts to rekey 3 door locks vs just the one that comes with keyless entry.

You could easily just take off the door panel to reattach the cable faster and less hassle than bothering the previous owner, hunting down the shop that did it, driving it there (if its even local), and probably having to leave the car for them to fix it. You bought a used car, obviously not checking the mechanical lock before purchase. This is what potentially comes with the territory when you buy a used car.
I have keyless entry on my old Lexus. You sometimes need keyless entry when either the car battery dies or if your remote key fob battery dies. Can never too careful to have two other failsafe places to open your car. And if I did lose my keys I wouldn't bother changing the cylinder key locks. The chances are too low for someone to find your exact car and steal it. Plus, the new key fob will erase the old key fob memory and it will get reprogrammed to the new one. So even if someone did find my car and get in, the alarm will blare. I wasn't aware there was a key lock issue, the car is new and only had 36,000 miles on it. Most people don't check every single issue on the car before buying a used car, they're mainly concerned about mechanical engine issues. The average buyer doesn't look for every single issue on the car. I did, except I didn't check the key lock cylinder since the original owner gave me two master keys, and an unfortunate timing of battery drain. I only owned the car for a month.
Old 04-24-19, 05:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

My brother when he got a used car once, contacted the previous owner, on facebook, looked him up and found out where he lives, was telling me where he works, emailed me pics of the guy's vacation in NH. I told him you're my brother, but wtf are you doing stalking the guy, he traded a car into a dealer, it's not like you're friends! lol
Old 04-24-19, 07:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

My brother when he got a used car once, contacted the previous owner, on facebook, looked him up and found out where he lives, was telling me where he works, emailed me pics of the guy's vacation in NH. I told him you're my brother, but wtf are you doing stalking the guy, he traded a car into a dealer, it's not like you're friends! lol
Sounds like the storyline from a creepy made for TV movie. Lol
Old 04-24-19, 08:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Sounds like the storyline from a creepy made for TV movie. Lol
Honestly I don't sell much. One time a guy at work showed me his BMW snows on factory rims. I said sweet, where'd you get them? Craigs list. I said nice. He threw in, "And I met the guy at Lowe's. I'm not having some psycho come to my house and kill my family."

I was like huh? He said yeah people have been killed using Craigs list. I actually had no idea, it's like how good is the deal if you never make it home? lol
Old 04-24-19, 08:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I blame the other guy. Either he doesn't know how to use privacy settings, and he needs to learn quick. Or he wants everyone to be able to see (I know both categories of those people on FB).