Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does anyone know why Lexus only made 1 keyhole on its newer cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 09:08 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does anyone know why Lexus only made 1 keyhole on its newer cars?

Why did Lexus only made one keyhole for its new cars? My old Lexus has THREE keyholes, one on the driver's door, one on the passenger door, and one on the rear tailgate. What if the car battery is dead and the keyhole to open the car manually doesn't work? What happens if the key cylinder or the door actuator broke? How else can you get in?

Because that's what happened to me right now. My car battery is dead and the only keyhole to open the car door doesn't work. How else can I get into the car without breaking the glass? Another reason why I hate things going electronic. Electronic shifter like on the Land Rover/Jaguar cars? Electronic ebrakes like on Mercedes and even on cars like the Camaro? Ugh.

Does anyone know how I can get in my car to open the hood to change the dead battery? I am frustrated...
Old 04-21-19, 10:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,686 Likes on 2,274 Posts

What's wrong with the lock? Maybe give it a spray of penetrating oil?
Old 04-21-19, 11:10 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
What's wrong with the lock? Maybe give it a spray of penetrating oil?
The physical key doesn't open the car door, even if I turn it left or right. I'm the second owner of the car. I think the car door actuator has been changed by the first owner, and the tech probably forgot to link the lock back to the cylinder. Inserting the key into the keyhole feels smooth and buttery, I don't think a spray of penetrating oil will work. I don't feel any resistance when twisting the key left or right.
Old 04-22-19, 02:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Are you the first owner? Maybe the key fob was not the original. So the key may not work.
Old 04-22-19, 04:43 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

The simple answer is price and profit.
Old 04-22-19, 05:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The reality, imho, is a physical key is used less often than a spare tire, which is also gone in many vehicles. So I could see mfgs leaving them off.

In the last 21 years, I've used a key once on a door. On the LS430 when the coin cell in the fob died. It actually was not cool, because the fob was broken where the key would not stay extended, and it was pouring rain, leaving a hockey game. But I lived lol It wasn't the fob not working, but the fact that I couldn't keep the key extended to turn the lock. Luckily another fan had a paper clip that I could use (I subsequently bought someone's never used LS430 valet fob on eBay for $14, took the end door off of it, and put it on mine) The next time this happens the key can stay extended.
Old 04-22-19, 05:41 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

Some cars have a keyhole underneath the trim on the passenger door handle--don't know if yours is among these. you just carefully pry it off and then use the key as normal.
Old 04-22-19, 07:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I read a report several years back, when the manufacturers started deleting the passenger side keyhole, that most auto break-ins occur on the passenger side, so it was an attempt to make that harder. There may be some truth to that, I suppose, but overall I think it was just deemed unnecessary and and easy thing to delete and save some money on an item that most won't care about.

My GS has one on the driver's door, and one on the trunk lid. I'd have to check my Highlander. I know there isn't one on the passenger door. Not sure about the rear hatch.
Old 04-22-19, 09:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I once asked some state troopers at work because I know they worked grand theft, "Any truth to the VINs being hidden in places on vehicles, where only LE knows?" They all burst out laughing and asked me what episode of Law and Order did I see that on. I thought **** Wolf was the real deal?
Old 04-22-19, 10:10 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I think you'll have to break into the car. To avoid breaking the glass, I'd try contacting a locksmith to see if they have the means to get into the vehicle with minimal damage.
Old 04-22-19, 10:19 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

An auto locksmith can get into your car with no damage or glass breakage.
Old 04-22-19, 10:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I think you'll have to break into the car. To avoid breaking the glass, I'd try contacting a locksmith to see if they have the means to get into the vehicle with minimal damage.
I think or rather I know they are not the same. The key/keyhole and linkage are one thing. Adding power locks i.e., actuator, is a second thing. I purchased my LS430 with a broken door actuator (didn't know until I drove off). I used the key until 2 wks later when the selling dealership repaired it. They gave me two fobs, both of which had working keys. I broke the key door myself replacing the battery, because who has time to read the manual on how to get the door off properly?

edit: If this is a 4 door vehicle, there are 3 other doors that can be opened, regardless of keyhole or not, by a locksmith who can access the mechanisms, since all 4 doors can be locked or unlocked (if a coupe then there is one other door).

As you say, when in doubt call someone who will not break the mechanism. If there were a regular **** like on GM cars then AAA could open it in < 5 sec. They have a tool that has a noose that can grab the ****, and they have wedges that can create a gap small enough to lower the noose. But my Lexus and BMW do not have ***** that can be grabbed in that fashion, so I assume all Lexus do not.

So this jogged my memory, there was a 2nd time (or period) where I did use the key on a car, over the last 21 years.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 04-22-19 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-22-19, 10:26 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987
The physical key doesn't open the car door, even if I turn it left or right. I'm the second owner of the car. I think the car door actuator has been changed by the first owner, and the tech probably forgot to link the lock back to the cylinder. Inserting the key into the keyhole feels smooth and buttery, I don't think a spray of penetrating oil will work. I don't feel any resistance when twisting the key left or right.
What year/model Lexus do you have? Maybe the lock mechanism is broken, the lock was somehow disassociated with your existing key or it just seized from lack of use. Locksmith is your best best at this point.

I also wonder if Lexus dealers have some kind of "Master" key that can open the car somehow...
Old 04-22-19, 12:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I read a report several years back, when the manufacturers started deleting the passenger side keyhole, that most auto break-ins occur on the passenger side, so it was an attempt to make that harder. There may be some truth to that, I suppose, but overall I think it was just deemed unnecessary and and easy thing to delete and save some money on an item that most won't care about.

My GS has one on the driver's door, and one on the trunk lid. I'd have to check my Highlander. I know there isn't one on the passenger door. Not sure about the rear hatch.
Automakers have been deleting the passenger-side lock since the days that most cars started coming with a fob (even with a physical key). I'm pretty sure my 2000 Acura TL had no passenger side lock, and there was definitely no trunk lock.

I know my '07 IS had a trunk lock though. Can't remember passenger side (access to the physical keyhole was under a pop-off cover).

Lesson for all of us--test your physical key every once in a while.

Last edited by tex2670; 04-22-19 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-22-19, 12:53 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

appears the OP's vehicle is a 3rd generation RX.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know why Lexus only made 1 keyhole on its newer cars?