Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

drove the new 3 series

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-19, 10:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Well I went and test drove a new 2018 M3 competition package and the 340ix M-sport back to back and for daily driving duties I liked the 340 better. I was finally able to find a dealer willing to give a good discount to make the lease more in line with what I am looking to pay so I will be ordering a new 340 this weekend. The 340 I test drove this time had 19" wheels and it rode a little rougher than the 18" wheels I drove last time but not much more. I also paid attention to the road noise and exhaust noise and can say that the car was quieter than my IS350. I also noted that the exhaust we pretty quiet on the inside but when you put it in sport mode it was louder with pops on deceleration. A little cheesy but still sounded nice. I can't wait to turn in my IS350 and try out the BMW. I have had Lexus' for 15 years now and I'm just disappointed in their offerings so hopefully this will be a good change. I should've tried a Tesla Model 3 but oh well, maybe next time.
The brand which has the latest offering is usually liked the most, and it sounds like you fall into this grove. The new 3 is the freshest and hot product of today. When the next IS comes out, it will be the hot product.
This pattern has been going since the beginning of time and will continue.
Hopefully you enjoy the trade-offs. Poorer reliability for the German brand, but perhaps more flair and fun. Best of luck.
Old 05-15-19, 07:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Well I went and test drove a new 2018 M3 competition package and the 340ix M-sport back to back and for daily driving duties I liked the 340 better. I was finally able to find a dealer willing to give a good discount to make the lease more in line with what I am looking to pay so I will be ordering a new 340 this weekend. The 340 I test drove this time had 19" wheels and it rode a little rougher than the 18" wheels I drove last time but not much more. I also paid attention to the road noise and exhaust noise and can say that the car was quieter than my IS350. I also noted that the exhaust we pretty quiet on the inside but when you put it in sport mode it was louder with pops on deceleration. A little cheesy but still sounded nice. I can't wait to turn in my IS350 and try out the BMW. I have had Lexus' for 15 years now and I'm just disappointed in their offerings so hopefully this will be a good change. I should've tried a Tesla Model 3 but oh well, maybe next time.
Congrats! I hope you'll stick around here and keep us posted on your experience with the BMW. It should be a fun change up for you!
Old 05-15-19, 09:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Jealous.....hahahahaha dang that is sweet. Congrats!!

p.s. what rims on the M3 or does the comp only come with one type? I have always found the frozen ones to look pretty sick!
Old 05-15-19, 09:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Poorer reliability for the German brand, but perhaps more flair and fun.
Spoil sport! I wish this myth would one day be busted, but then again, that would likely change the demand and then we'd all have to pay even more! German cars don't always meet the marginal benefit > marginal cost test, but then again, neither does eating in a good restaurant, over a buffet.

(the G is a new car and already deemed to be less reliable, based on what)
Old 05-15-19, 09:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Huge congrats, look forward to seeing your impressions when you have it, and some pics!
Old 05-15-19, 10:01 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice! What dealer did you end up going with? We just got our X5 from Alexandria.
Old 05-15-19, 02:00 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The brand which has the latest offering is usually liked the most, and it sounds like you fall into this grove. The new 3 is the freshest and hot product of today. When the next IS comes out, it will be the hot product.
This pattern has been going since the beginning of time and will continue.
Hopefully you enjoy the trade-offs. Poorer reliability for the German brand, but perhaps more flair and fun. Best of luck.
I don't think it was the fact that it was the latest offering, I just think between my wife and I, we thought it was the best all around car for what we were looking for. BMW wasn't really on the radar for us as we were pretty much set on a C43 until we drove it. The S4 is one that I really liked but my wife hated for some reason that I will never really understand. All of the three cars had a small shortcoming here or there but the BMW is what we agreed was the best but unfortunately the lease deals were terrible and wasn't a consideration until I found the right dealer willing to give more than 10% off before incentives. It is still a little more than what I could get the C43 for but for us it is a better fit.
Old 05-15-19, 02:03 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
Congrats! I hope you'll stick around here and keep us posted on your experience with the BMW. It should be a fun change up for you!
Of course I will, I think Car Chat is the best for an all around, almost unbiased, opinion of cars. This will be the first time in 15 years without a Lexus.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Jealous.....hahahahaha dang that is sweet. Congrats!!

p.s. what rims on the M3 or does the comp only come with one type? I have always found the frozen ones to look pretty sick!
The rims on the comp had the 20" mesh rims that all of them come with. It was a little rough and would have been tough to daily with RWD and summer tires with the change in seasons here even though it hasn't been too bad the last couple years.

Originally Posted by pbm317
Nice! What dealer did you end up going with? We just got our X5 from Alexandria.
I am ordering it from Passport BMW in Suitland, MD. Not the best area but the only ones around willing to provide a substantial discount.
Old 05-16-19, 06:08 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I am ordering it from Passport BMW in Suitland, MD. Not the best area but the only ones around willing to provide a substantial discount.
Nice! I liked the guys at Passport a lot, almost got our X5 through them but Alexandria had a unit equipped closer to our ideal spec and was able to essentially beat the Passport offer. Got through all the paperwork on the unit at Passport and then somehow they realized it was a custom ordered/sold vehicle. But nonetheless, other than that hiccup they were straightforward and good to deal with.
Old 05-16-19, 06:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Of course I will, I think Car Chat is the best for an all around, almost unbiased, opinion of cars. This will be the first time in 15 years without a Lexus.

The rims on the comp had the 20" mesh rims that all of them come with. It was a little rough and would have been tough to daily with RWD and summer tires with the change in seasons here even though it hasn't been too bad the last couple years.

Suitland sounds familiar. A long time ago I thought I would save the co. some money so instead of booking a $300 room in Arlington, I got a room at Days Inn there for under $80 (I was young and truly believed we should save co. money and spend as our own, my dad always taught me that). Big mistake. And isn't there some credit union, I thought someone told me I could join because they had excellent rates. Had a coworker who got out of the Army and she told me about it...Andrews FCU I think. Quite the hike to get to Arlington for training--that's where I would see all the MB techs driving customer cars to get lunch.
Old 05-17-19, 11:38 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,904 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Nice! I liked the guys at Passport a lot, almost got our X5 through them but Alexandria had a unit equipped closer to our ideal spec and was able to essentially beat the Passport offer. Got through all the paperwork on the unit at Passport and then somehow they realized it was a custom ordered/sold vehicle. But nonetheless, other than that hiccup they were straightforward and good to deal with.
A friend of mine flew out to MD to visit Passport and buy a car (incidentally, a 2014 335i - hell of a car ) from them. He said it was the nicest dealership experience he's had, ever. Apparently it's one of the top-reviewed BMW dealers in the US.
Old 05-17-19, 07:37 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I was on a test drive I didn’t get a chance to take it on any backroads, mainly some highway runs and a couple exit turns. That said I feel like the car felt a little bigger and heavier than my IS. It also had 18” rims with somewhat large profile tires which I’m sure contributed to the smoothness of it so I don’t think it felt as good as my IS in the handling department but to be honest I didn’t get to push it too much so not really a fair comparison. Since I put on new continental tires on my IS I feel really comfortable with it and it handles great tossing it around on backroads.
Thanks for the info and congrats on the new ride.
Old 05-18-19, 03:20 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arentz07
A friend of mine flew out to MD to visit Passport and buy a car (incidentally, a 2014 335i - hell of a car ) from them. He said it was the nicest dealership experience he's had, ever. Apparently it's one of the top-reviewed BMW dealers in the US.
Strange that this dealership is in such a crappy area. Anyway, it was a really good experience, discussed the price of the car over the phone, went in and ordered it today although it still took 2 hours to put the order in the system, look at some options and colors just to be sure. Amazing that a car at this price doesn’t have power tilt/telescoping steering. Plus all of the interior trim options were pretty bad, 2 matte wood options, one gloss wood option and 2 pretty bad aluminum looking options. They should have had a carbon fiber option like MB and Audi.