Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Road presence matters

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 02:03 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

anything with an L on it, gets noticed on the road, and is presumed to be expensive no matter what. here in Orlando i swear we have the worst drivers in the country. btw road etiquette simply does not exist here.

i drive LS400s, old school and not as imposing as an LX570 or LS460L, but im a target! my cars are worthless and 20+ years old, but people are stupid and still think they are late model $70,000 luxury cars. people constantly cut me off and slam on their brakes! people brake check me CONSTANTLY hoping ill run into the back of them. had a situation a few weeks ago where a couple in an old ford Taurus went flying past me, swerved into my lane and stood on her brakes hard enough to make both of our tires squeal, looking for a payday! i get harassed and bothered by bums everywhere i go looking for handouts, and get bullied by other drivers constantly looking to try to sue me. oh and the race car thing.. im not sure why, but my LS400s seem to attract young guys driving clapped out BMW 745Lis like flies on ****! they try me constantly, but i always win. i get challenged constantly, but 8 times out of ten, its a beat up old 7 series. just odd. oh if i had a dollar for every long winded ****-rant ive gone on over facebook about bad drivers.....
Old 04-20-19, 07:10 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's face it, no one likes driving behind a "putt putt" car, no matter how fast it's going.
Old 04-21-19, 10:32 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
anything with an L on it, gets noticed on the road, and is presumed to be expensive no matter what. here in Orlando i swear we have the worst drivers in the country. btw road etiquette simply does not exist here.

had a situation a few weeks ago where a couple in an old ford Taurus went flying past me, swerved into my lane and stood on her brakes hard enough to make both of our tires squeal, looking for a payday!
holy crap! I hope you a good dash cam for these insurance fraudster!
Old 04-21-19, 10:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
So True!! let me add in some of my experiences ...

well to add; I used to drive a beat up maxima; that was a magnet for cops- I mean it was not bad just old but in every good shape. They would pull me over for weird things like making a left turn too quick from at the light.. etc Nothing stuck but now driving "luxury cars" I don't have that issue.

Few years back I had the green bug and I bought myself a Toyota Prius as a daily. I felt very unsafe in that car because everyone was riding my a####..some would pass me very aggressively even though I was probably going faster than anyone else.

I think Road presence plus a nicer car/suv would get you better treatment.
1998 would be an old Maxima, right? I still have mine, and in driving it for what 21 years, I got pulled over 2X. Once was I went over the double yellow to pass someone and got caught (it was in Darby PA so I guess I thought who cares lol, sorry if you live there), another was 52 in a 25 in my own neighborhood (my father in-law was in the car and we needed to get him to the airport as he was flying back to Toronto). In both cases I did what I was accused of. The cop was so nice that he said he couldn't just let me go for 52 in a 25, but do not plead guilty it would be 5 points. To make sure I went to court, "We'll be lenient." He said it 2X. Well, I got to court and they did 30 in a 25 with zero points, $114 fine. I checked my record 13 mos. later nothing was on it.

So that's unusual to me you were targeted in a Maxima. Mine even had 18x8's with 235/40's for much of its life from 2005 to 2016 (went back to 16's as my wife bent 3 sets of rims)