Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Lexus IS Might get a BMW 3.0-Liter Straight-Six

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i agree, toyota should make me the new chairman
Most of us here on Car Chat couldn't run an auto company. We're too honest.
Old 04-16-19, 04:30 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
This angers me.
Yeah, it's bad enough that Toyota farmed out development of the Supra to BMW... But letting BMW under the hood at Lexus is a terrible idea. A huge part of the reason people buy a Lexus is the reliability factor, and I don't trust BMW engines to go the distance. It could really hurt their reputation if Lexus stop being high mileage vehicles.
Old 04-16-19, 06:45 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
or bring back the 2jz
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
definitely not going to happen (emissions, efficiency, slow by today's standards)
Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to agree with pman6. We know the 2jz is an excellent block, and can run 200K or more miles without problems. The fuel-consumption and emission problems can probably be addressed by fitting a more advanced direct-injection system than it had before. That may also address the 0-60 problem, though, IMO, too much emphasis is put on speed today, even wth sports cars.
The 2JZ engine is not coming back. It is a truly ancient engine.

Funny how so many members want to get rid of the 2GR, claiming that it is old (the design of the engine block is about 15 years old), yet want to bring back the truly ancient, 30 year old 2JZ.
Old 04-16-19, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
The 2JZ engine is not coming back. It is a truly ancient engine.

Funny how so many members want to get rid of the 2GR, claiming that it is old (the design of the engine block is about 15 years old), yet want to bring back the truly ancient, 30 year old 2JZ.
Oldies are sometimes goodies. The 2JZ was tough as nails. Look, of example, how long 5.7Ls were (successfully) used in Corvettes. And, besides, with modern DI, in a number of ways, the 2JZ wouldn't even be the same engine.
Old 04-16-19, 07:53 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 417 Likes on 343 Posts

I heard a similar rumor from one of our techs at my dealership. He said he heard that one of the new Lexus’ was going to use a BMW engine but that was all he knew.
Old 04-16-19, 09:03 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Oldies are sometimes goodies. The 2JZ was tough as nails. Look, of example, how long 5.7Ls were (successfully) used in Corvettes. And, besides, with modern DI, in a number of ways, the 2JZ wouldn't even be the same engine.
I had a 2JZ SC300 and it was tough as nails...but I was getting 17 mpg at best lol. Didn't both me at the time but these days just doesn't fly. Maybe with the modern DI it'd make the difference. I always pictures the new Supra coming back with the 2JZ, a dreamer I suppose
Maybe a 3JZ like mentioned before with some modern touches.
Old 04-16-19, 09:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i agree, toyota should make me the new chairman

i'd cut profits from 20 to maybe $12 billion (i'd obviously take a pay cut from what my predecessor was making), pull a stalin with the zupra, reintroduce the supra as the gtr competitor it once was, bring back the mr2 with at most a 2 star safety rating since who wants a safe mr2, give the 4runner a V8 and manual options again, the rav4 a V6 option again, make the avalon back to being a wallowey boat, get the f sportness out of most lexus models, find whoever first devised the spindle grille and make sure they as well as anyone containing their genetics are sent into space far far away from here, give the corolla and camry a manual option for all trim levels and engines, make another corolla xrs with another 8000+ rpm screamer of an engine, and possibly most important of all... get that pathetic sounding disgraceful dishonorable 6 cylinder out of the LS 500 and give it an all new 5 liter V8 like it deserves, as well as thick cushy tires and thick cushy seats
it’s easy to live in the past...
Old 04-16-19, 09:23 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it’s easy to live in the past...
apart from the executives who probably wont be making as much money under my regime, who would be unhappy if all those things happened?
Old 04-16-19, 09:47 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,559 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Not going to lie, it's a nice engine. I drove a 335i that my coworker recently purchased, and the engine was one of the highlights. Really smooth power delivery, good throttle response, unnoticeable turbo lag, and an appealing, if not characterful, sound. I'd miss the intake-sound-generator noises of the current ISs with the 3.5-liter engine, but I wouldn't be terribly upset to have that engine instead. That said, I do like the idea of Lexus having their uniquely tuned/designed engines for their sedans and coupes like they do now.
Old 04-17-19, 03:44 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Little question to the group. Wasn't Toyota deeply involved in the built of the B58 engine ? I think I remember to have read that the B58 was corrected several times by Toyota engineers and that he was intenisvely analysed and reliability tested in the Toyota centers in Japan.

But I understand the "don't disolve the image of your brand things" and so on. The public would not understand the presence of a BMW block into a Lexus. Lots of those where already unhappy german car customers before and specifically got to Lexus for not having this cr_p anymore. Also, even if the engine was a joint project between Toyota and BMW, normal peoples that aren't car guys, would only understand that "there is a BMW engine inside of that", and would run away.

And yes, I'm also sharing the opinion that Toyota could need a "brought up to date" I6 engine. I had a thread on this forum about a french guy, that suggested that launches the production of a new 2JZ version (let's call it 2GG4JZ -> Word play with Japanese "too old for a JZ"). In the actual day, this engine could/should have :
- 2.7L displacement, for a more compact size, less weight and less emssions without beeing undersized
- Atkinson cycle capacity
- port and direct injection
- Toyota's new dynamic force engine concept included

All those thing could give a pretty impressive little engine. Probably capable of 240 Horsepower to the crank with a very good torque characteristics (NA specs), and realistic 30-35 mpg highway. Even better mileages could be achieved in combined with the Toyota Hybrid technology. And a little 320 HP crank when boosted with a twinscroll turbo. Maybe more, but I wouldn't expect that (because Toyota would make sure that those engines will not come in the way of their biggest sport engine).

But would Toyota even do that ? I mean, we have already discussed the incoming of EV on this forum. Would it make any sense to develope another explosion engine in this context ?

(For my part, I also had this wild dream, that a Toyota Hybrid system could be paired with a Turbo engine, but would require some tweaks of the Turbo, for making sure he doesn't start spooling when the Atkinson cycle is engaged)
Old 04-17-19, 05:32 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,559 Likes on 1,826 Posts

I think you're spot on, @Benoit. The "New 2JZ" idea actually could have made sense, as it would have dropped into Lexus's fleet quite nicely, at least, in longitudinally-mounted applications. With that displacement and power output, it would have been a perfect fit for entry-level or mid-level options like a theoretical GS or IS. That said, they don't have any options outside of those sedans and coupes that could use this engine, realistically (I think SUVs, perhaps, with the turbo version of said engine). Most of Lexus's other vehicles, particularly volume sellers, have transversely-mounted engines, which don't want to be inline-six engines for obvious reasons (leading to development of engines like the 2GR, which is shared across both types of platforms). BMW doesn't have this problem, as their entire portfolio outside of entry-level models is compatible with their inline six.
Old 04-17-19, 05:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I had a 2JZ SC300 and it was tough as nails...but I was getting 17 mpg at best lol. Didn't both me at the time but these days just doesn't fly. Maybe with the modern DI it'd make the difference. I always pictures the new Supra coming back with the 2JZ, a dreamer I suppose
Yes, mine also had a hard time getting more then 17 MPG unless one was free of stop and go traffic. But, as mentioned before, that's where a modern DI system fitted to it would be beneficial...better power and MPG.
Old 04-17-19, 05:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
Little question to the group. Wasn't Toyota deeply involved in the built of the B58 engine ? I think I remember to have read that the B58 was corrected several times by Toyota engineers and that he was intenisvely analysed and reliability tested in the Toyota centers in Japan.

But I understand the "don't disolve the image of your brand things" and so on. The public would not understand the presence of a BMW block into a Lexus. Lots of those where already unhappy german car customers before and specifically got to Lexus for not having this cr_p anymore. Also, even if the engine was a joint project between Toyota and BMW, normal peoples that aren't car guys, would only understand that "there is a BMW engine inside of that", and would run away.

And yes, I'm also sharing the opinion that Toyota could need a "brought up to date" I6 engine. I had a thread on this forum about a french guy, that suggested that launches the production of a new 2JZ version (let's call it 2GG4JZ -> Word play with Japanese "too old for a JZ"). In the actual day, this engine could/should have :
- 2.7L displacement, for a more compact size, less weight and less emssions without beeing undersized
- Atkinson cycle capacity
- port and direct injection
- Toyota's new dynamic force engine concept included

All those thing could give a pretty impressive little engine. Probably capable of 240 Horsepower to the crank with a very good torque characteristics (NA specs), and realistic 30-35 mpg highway. Even better mileages could be achieved in combined with the Toyota Hybrid technology. And a little 320 HP crank when boosted with a twinscroll turbo. Maybe more, but I wouldn't expect that (because Toyota would make sure that those engines will not come in the way of their biggest sport engine).

But would Toyota even do that ? I mean, we have already discussed the incoming of EV on this forum. Would it make any sense to develope another explosion engine in this context ?

(For my part, I also had this wild dream, that a Toyota Hybrid system could be paired with a Turbo engine, but would require some tweaks of the Turbo, for making sure he doesn't start spooling when the Atkinson cycle is engaged)
I don't know all the ins/outs but I know the B58 was a 340i engine. It seems to me that mfgs work back to the answer, as we might have done when we were 18 and in chem or physics lab. And of course as full blown adults. I just remember knowing that the exhaust on a B58 was totally fake, like a pontiac G6, a muffler turned sideways with two outlets, yet the numbers it put out were even better than the N54 and N55. I priced it out and the N54 exhaust was north of $6k, the N55 < 50%, and the B58 25%. Simplistically I said that the B58 does things by software, not hardware. And we shade trees use our imagination and wonder, what happens 5 or 10 or 15 years later? So if Toyota relies on a B58, it wouldn't be what I consider ideal. I would rather have Toyota design their own inline 6, and use engineering with conservative software, to achieve results and reliability. My .02. I thought the B58 was designed with modularity in mind, i.e. they could derive a 3 cyl. 4 cyl, etc. out of its design, and that is not true with the N54.
Old 04-17-19, 10:05 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 229 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
. I thought the B58 was designed with modularity in mind, i.e. they could derive a 3 cyl. 4 cyl, etc. out of its design, and that is not true with the N54.
The N20 2.0L I-4 introduced in 2011 was an N55 with two cylinders chopped off. The N55, in turn, was basically an N54 with a single twin-scroll turbo instead of two separate turbos. So I'm pretty sure modularity was in the cards all along.
Old 04-17-19, 12:50 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Since you are such an expert on the 2JZ engine, you should get Chairman Stroock to hire you as the Chief 2JZ Engineer, and your chief responsibility will be to resurrect the 2JZ engine.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus IS Might get a BMW 3.0-Liter Straight-Six