Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2019 Acura MDX A-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 08:39 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The MDX is a good vehicle, but its age in the category shows. That said the interior appointments have gotten much better in I believe Advanced spec with open pore wood. In regular specs its not that great. The 9 speed is the worst ZF transmission made, so long term nope. Engine is solid. The tech while satisfactory isnt refined, but I assume will be in the next gen. The volume dealership i went to was interesting, since their entire floorplan is just different variants of the MDX and RDX, and a single sedan. You have to go on a td for anything else. The TD vehicles I got back when I tested were interesting, and had trim missing in the vehicle, and surprisingly had a buzzing noise near the center console which the CA said was normal
Old 03-27-19, 11:31 AM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

My neighbor has an MDX with the 9 speed and doesn't like it. After hearing what he had to say about the transmission and reading through the RX forum about the RX 350 transmission, I recently decided on a RX 450hL Luxury model. I'm sure a CVT isn't for everyone, but it's really smooth and quiet to me. I also like the RX 450hL is made in Japan and comes with Michelin tires.
Old 03-28-19, 12:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
MM - there's a reason why almost all manufacturers are placing the displays higher.....and it's not because they're being cheap...the idea here is to place the display screen as close to the driver's line of sight as possible without blocking visibility....while placing the control interface as close to the driver's hand as possible. Doing this means swapping screen touch control for a pad on the center console because the screen is too high and far away for the driver to reach.
I don't totally agree with that line of reasoning, though. The screens can be placed high enough for the driver to have it reasonably well in his or her line of sight, while being nicely-integrated into the dash, and avoiding a dime-store, tacked-on look. My own car (the Buick Lacrosse) shows that.

the Buick Lacrosse) shows that.
Old 03-28-19, 01:05 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Good review, MM. I feel totally out of touch - had no idea this vehicle would sticker around $60k. That just seems crazy to me, but it's very possible my frame of reference is completely out-of-whack.
Old 03-28-19, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Good review, MM.
Thanks.

I feel totally out of touch - had no idea this vehicle would sticker around $60k. That just seems crazy to me, but it's very possible my frame of reference is completely out-of-whack.
A list of 50-60K is more or less par for the course, today, for upper-level-trim versions of mid-sized crossover SUVs with upscale nameplates. You will find similar pricing (or higher) on a number of the MDX's competitors from Lincoln, Cadillac, Lexus, Infiniti, and several other nameplates. You can save some money, of course, by looking at the base-level versions of the MDX, which start in the mid-upper-40s, and, in some cases, could run 50K or less....though they will probably be difficult to find in dealer-stock. In addition, these are comparatively large, well-equipped vehicles....and they are in what is basically a seller's market, today, with high demand for crossover SUVs, so there is not a lot of incentive for manufacturers to keep prices down. In addition, Hondas and Acuras have traditionally sold on the company's past reputation, without a lot of factory incentives, but, recently, that good reputation has been hit by some reliability concerns.
Old 03-28-19, 04:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My Highlander had a sticker of $52k so I think the MDX is actually a pretty strong value.
Old 03-28-19, 05:11 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My Highlander had a sticker of $52k so I think the MDX is actually a pretty strong value.
your highlander is a better built, more practical car with more standard equipment and just as much power as the mdx while getting better mpgs and not looking as ridiculous

the ONLY things i remember thinking the mdx has to offer that the highlander doesn't, were the shift paddles with actual 'manual' mode (you can floor it and the trans wont downshift) and the cruise control actually goes to a full stop in the mdx whereas the highlander cancels at 25

the mdx used to be a strong value with a lot of decently advanced tech for the time in the 1st and 2nd gens but the 3rd gen is a shell of its former self, know that you're better off with your highlander
Old 03-28-19, 05:57 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Old 03-29-19, 05:42 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Between my wife and I we have owned 12 Acura's and really enjoyed them. Thought I would stay with them forever. Moved to Lexus six years ago and no looking back. Something has happened to Acura/Honda regarding their reliability. The last two to three years we started having issues mechanically. Lexus is easy to track. Been #1 for eight years in a row in dependability by J D Power. We have not had one thing go wrong. Acura in 2014 was ranked 4th, 2016 8th, 2018 20th and 2019 26th. This is certainly an alarming trend. I like the look of the MDX and test drove the new RDX. The RDX was extremely nice but the gas mileage was terrible and of course the dependability. Bought our current 2017 RX450h and love it.
Old 03-29-19, 09:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
your highlander is a better built, more practical car with more standard equipment and just as much power as the mdx while getting better mpgs and not looking as ridiculous

the ONLY things i remember thinking the mdx has to offer that the highlander doesn't, were the shift paddles with actual 'manual' mode (you can floor it and the trans wont downshift) and the cruise control actually goes to a full stop in the mdx whereas the highlander cancels at 25

the mdx used to be a strong value with a lot of decently advanced tech for the time in the 1st and 2nd gens but the 3rd gen is a shell of its former self, know that you're better off with your highlander
I wouldn't say a Highlander is better built then a MDX, I never saw where a Lexus RX is better built then a MDX, I actually saw the opposite in most cases. I don't see where it is more practical either, MDX's get very good gas mileage for how big/heavy they are. For the size/power the MDX is actually pretty quick and they handle pretty well, SHawd is one of the most advanced AWD systems available. MDX does have features and performance you can't get in a Highlander though you have to pay for that, it has features a Lexus RX doesn't have.

I don't care for the interior design of the 3rd Gen but it is improved in most areas other then that over the previous MDX's and is a very good package especially for what you pay.
Old 03-29-19, 02:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
so an acura has .63 problems more per car than a toyota. Travesty.
Old 03-29-19, 02:34 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so an acura has .63 problems more per car than a toyota. Travesty.
108 problems per 100 vehicles vs. 171 problems per 100 vehicles. The difference is 63 problems per 100 vehicles. Which is 58% more than the Toyota score. So, yeah, it's like a virtual tie.
Old 03-29-19, 05:04 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Correct me if I'm looking at this incorrectly, but in the first 3 years:

12 Toyota owners: All will have 1 problem. 1 will have a second problem.
12 Acura owners: All will have 1 problem. 8 will have a second problem.

That's pretty significant, especially considering that Acura is supposed to be a premium brand.
Old 03-29-19, 05:22 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I wouldn't say a Highlander is better built then a MDX, I never saw where a Lexus RX is better built then a MDX, I actually saw the opposite in most cases. I don't see where it is more practical either, MDX's get very good gas mileage for how big/heavy they are. For the size/power the MDX is actually pretty quick and they handle pretty well, SHawd is one of the most advanced AWD systems available. MDX does have features and performance you can't get in a Highlander though you have to pay for that, it has features a Lexus RX doesn't have.

I don't care for the interior design of the 3rd Gen but it is improved in most areas other then that over the previous MDX's and is a very good package especially for what you pay.
yes, 5 years ago neither would i, but for the 3rd gen they switched manufacturing locations and whether or not that's the reason for the quality decline it still has overall

as for the practicality, the highlander has one more seat than the mdx, more overall space in the trunk, a much better user interface, and better ground clearance... i've sold dozens of 2016-2018 highlanders and driven thousands of miles in a 2014 and 2016 mdx, the highlander definitely has superior overall quality with less glitchy software and doesn't rattle quite as much

now yes once you actually start pushing each a bit, the mdx is definitely the better driving car and does feel more tight and rigid overall... but since most mdxs never get driven, i don't see much reason to get one anymore, and it's really no faster than the highlander... and if you do start pushing it the mpgs can literally (and have) go into single digits if you're just going around town

the mdx also got stuck in the snow and sand quite easily (its pathetic ground clearance i'm sure played into that), and the highlanders still get a button to manually lock the center differential whereas the mdx no longer has such a capability