Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 VW Golf caught without camo

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-19, 01:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2020 VW Golf caught without camo

Source
Old 03-08-19, 01:17 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Eyebrow on the hood near the headlights looks weird.

Old 03-08-19, 02:16 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Is probably camo to make it look like the current Golf from a distance. The tail lights have similar stuff going on.
Old 03-08-19, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This proves something I've said for years.......that automakers don't have to keep those silly bras and body-tape on until the last minute. It just makes an (unneeded) game of cat-and-mouse with spy-photographers.

BTW, I basically like the Neon color, though there might be a little too much yellow in it.
Old 03-09-19, 11:58 AM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

lol I was thinking eye shadow... its the new since "headlight lashes" are dead
Old 03-09-19, 11:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Praying the headlight eyebrows don't make it, but I have a feeling they will. They are the single worst design element on the body. The bloated and curved hood is also overdone and not sporty. Another example of a maker going too far with the ped laws.

Regarding Marshall's comment about this proving manufacturers do not have to keep a car camo. Not the case at all. This was not something VW would prefer to be seen. But every once in a while a spy photographer or civilian is at the right place at the right time. Just because someone caught it on camera does not mean it was meant to be seen.
Old 03-10-19, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Regarding Marshall's comment about this proving manufacturers do not have to keep a car camo. Not the case at all. This was not something VW would prefer to be seen. But every once in a while a spy photographer or civilian is at the right place at the right time. Just because someone caught it on camera does not mean it was meant to be seen.
That part I have to disagree with. Why? Because the very existance of this proved what I said. VW will find out that, with this photo, it's no big deal...the world will not come to an end just because one of their future products was caught with its pants down. The world will go on, just the same as usual, without the bras and body-tape
Old 03-10-19, 03:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I've never had a problem with manufacturers doing this. It's their new model and their responsibility to do what they think is best for the launch to make it successful. If they think camo is the right way to go then that's fine. .
Old 03-10-19, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've never had a problem with manufacturers doing this. It's their new model and their responsibility to do what they think is best for the launch to make it successful. If they think camo is the right way to go then that's fine. .
Again, LexBob, that's exactly my point. It's cases like this that show that what companies may have previously thought is best may not, in fact, be true...and that the world is not going to stop turning just because one of their new vehicles is not disguised with tape. Sometimes it takes an event like this to show the obvious.
Old 03-10-19, 04:00 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VW needs to fire their design department. Not just based on this, but their whole lineup.
Old 03-10-19, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
VW needs to fire their design department.
Why? because of the painted eyebrows? I don't see that as a big deal. I could easily live with that.
Old 03-10-19, 08:49 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why? because of the painted eyebrows? I don't see that as a big deal. I could easily live with that.
The whole front end is all wrong. The nose is so low and weak looking. Already looks dated and it doesn't come out for a year. The Passat's front end is awful, the Atlas, etc. My opinion, but VW's are the most forgettable, un-inspired vehicles out there. When Audi's are so dynamic, it's disappointing that VW can't capture some of that.
Old 03-11-19, 05:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
The whole front end is all wrong. The nose is so low and weak looking. Already looks dated and it doesn't come out for a year. The Passat's front end is awful, the Atlas, etc. My opinion, but VW's are the most forgettable, un-inspired vehicles out there. When Audi's are so dynamic, it's disappointing that VW can't capture some of that.
I think that every VW that has debuted in recent years "tailored" to the US market has been hugely disappointing, from a design standpoint. The new Jetta is the latest. I think this Golf is better than all the rest of the VW lineup--but, the Golf is not tailored to the US market at all.

This Golf is kind of the opposite--only the die hards are going to be able to spot the new model.
Old 03-11-19, 06:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Hard to tell the differences with the current one. I had always thought 100% when in junior high that I would own a GTI. Amazing it will never happen. I followed one through the car wash last week and it had a Grateful Dead stained glass sticker along the top edge of the hatch. I was actually listening to a China/Rider on the XM and thought I bet if I started talking to that dude at the vacuums, we could have a 1 hr. conversation of days gone by....my last chance was in 2016 when I was considering a M2 or a Golf R and my wife said go for it.....that's when I would up with the LS430 used....if BMW can improve the new 3, I bet VW can improve the GTI. And the 2015 that I had for a week wasn't too shabby and fun to drive.
Old 03-11-19, 11:32 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Again, I highly doubt those are production. The shape of the light is almost identical to the Mk7 Golf if you include the painted-on portions above and below the light. It's a disguise.

If they actually do it, then

Quick Reply: 2020 VW Golf caught without camo