Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvo will limit top speed to 112 mph on all models

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 08:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why not.

I have never understood why there is no law that mandates speed limiters on cars for North America. Say 75MPH max.
i totally agree, although maybe 85.
Old 03-09-19, 08:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i totally agree, although maybe 85.
sure. Whatever the ceiling needs to be. I just picked arbitrarily picked 75. So 85, sure that works.

We have technology now that would allow a car via GPS to limit the speed were a car is driving or I sure that it could be implemented, as for example, all new Toyota’s will be online. I read that a Rolls Royce has a GPS in the transmission so it knows the terrain where the car is driving. So if a school zone, why not mandate that manufacturers lock out speeds above 30mph or so.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-09-19 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-09-19, 08:39 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

On one hand, I can't think of any practical need to go faster than 112. Those few times I was on the Autobahn I never saw anyone pass me doing more than perhaps that speed.

On the other hand, I cringe at the Big Brother aspect of this, the need to take care of all us little ones who obviously don't know any better.

And then to pull the "if it saves just one life, it's worth it" card. Tell you what, pal. Stop selling Volvos and you will save many, many thousands of lives. Or do what one of our crazed young American elected Representatives might suggest down the road and just ban all cars in addition to airplanes. Trains are the answer.
Old 03-09-19, 08:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale

On the other hand, I cringe at the Big Brother aspect of this, the need to take care of all us little ones who obviously don't know any better.
The big brother argument is not very strong. IMO that is.
Old 03-09-19, 09:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Curious on the background. How many people die each year while driving a Volvo over 112mph. Sounds more PR-ish to me.
Old 03-09-19, 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Curious on the background. How many people die each year while driving a Volvo over 112mph. Sounds more PR-ish to me.
no doubt about it.

look at me! Look at me!
Old 03-09-19, 10:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

sure. Whatever the ceiling needs to be. I just picked arbitrarily picked 75. So 85, sure that works.

We have technology now that would allow a car via GPS to limit the speed were a car is driving or I sure that it could be implemented, as for example, all new Toyota’s will be online. I read that a Rolls Royce has a GPS in the transmission so it knows the terrain where the car is driving. So if a school zone, why not mandate that manufacturers lock out speeds above 30mph or so.
Mercedes does this too i believe, adjusting engine, suspension, etc for curves and hills automatically.

but yes, a simple example would be within city limits don’t allow a car to go over say 50mph

Of course it’s never that simple as many cities have major highways going right through them
Old 03-09-19, 11:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I was thinking about this today at the gym. We had a fatality last year.

I was watching a YouTube where this guy was verbally assaulting a NYPD officer because he said she almost hit him. And from the comfort of my room, I was siding with the officer saying this guy is something.

Today, this a****** driving a RX350 with a Stevens Creek Lexus license plate frame accelerates while I am in the crosswalk (with the state law yield marker), forcing me back. Now, suddenly, I was angry like the guy above.

He basically got to a red light at the intersection, so not yielding to a ped is simply either habit, entitlement, being in a motor vehicle, whatever. The guy was over 60 years old and I suppose no other demographic really matters. In an ideal world, just as my car has a dashcam, I have a bodycam ($139.99 is too rich for my blood right now, but $30 and I'll be wearing one).

Think about our preschool situation--cars parked illegally, local residents complaining, school director reminding parents and saying will be towed, multiple hit/runs incl. my wife's SUV. Technology will solve none of the above.

I just think it's pathetic, that even after a fatality, in general, nobody changes. And Stevens Creek is NorCal, dunno wtf that a****** behaves like that, last I knew people yielded there.
Lol Stevens Creek. So weird that the service department is far away by the airport.
Old 03-09-19, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

but yes, a simple example would be within city limits don’t allow a car to go over say 50mph

Of course it’s never that simple as many cities have major highways going right through them

........major highways are one thing, but, even on a two-lane roads, a quick burst of speed is sometimes necessary for safe passing, especially if there is oncoming traffic in the left lane closing at a good clip. It could be very dangerous if someone is stuck in the opposing lane, needs that quick burst of speed for a safe tuck-in, and the car's computer says, "Well, have a nice day".

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-09-19 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 11:41 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know how 112 mph speed doesn't kill people.
Anyone can make his own choice not speeding, even he drive a Ferrari,
Volvo just make an excuse not be able to compete on high-end engines.
Old 03-09-19, 11:51 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lol Stevens Creek. So weird that the service department is far away by the airport.
I dislike the guy working in the parts department at Stevens Creek, every time I ask him for a Lexus part number, he always bothered about it. He doesn't seem to enjoy his job.

Going back on topic, I don't think Volvo could do anything to stop getting people killed in their cars, there's always going to be something (fire, heavy accidents, weather, etc.).
Old 03-09-19, 11:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It could all be done. I don’t pay as much attention to other brands but new Toyota’s and Lexus models can now display the speed limits in the dash navigation or heads up displays. They can even tell you based on radar if a car is coming to the front left or front right without your knowledge while you are at a stop sign . . In other words, the car knows what the speed limit is for a particular road.

i think I remember reading about the MB self adjusting suspension in that it knows the terrain ahead of tine.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-09-19 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 11:55 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Go 113mph on public roads much? Right.

Their new SUVs look amazing and much better looking than any Lexus offering IMO.
Sadly I would have to agree with you on this, all the Lexuses with the spindle grilles are ugly, even after all these years I still think they're ugly.
Old 03-10-19, 12:58 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

I have never understood why there is no law that mandates speed limiters on cars for North America. Say 75MPH max.
because that would effectively destroy the human spirit and remove the desire to innovate, since you'd apparently like to keep us in the year 1902

why not 15 mph then since that'll be even more safe
Old 03-10-19, 01:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

i guess there 4 cylinders will do better if the goal posts are set further apart.

design a car for 155 vs 112.

in all honesty though, if anyone knows safety, its Volvo. They design cars to be the standard rather then follow the standard, safety wise

Quick Reply: Volvo will limit top speed to 112 mph on all models