Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvo will limit top speed to 112 mph on all models

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
in all honesty though, if anyone knows safety, its Volvo.
........And that's why they know that excessive speed, all else equal, doesn't do the cause of safety much good.
Old 03-10-19, 04:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
because that would effectively destroy the human spirit and remove the desire to innovate, since you'd apparently like to keep us in the year 1902
exaggerate much? U.s. survived the horrid 55 speed limit with lots of innovation.

why not 15 mph then since that'll be even more safe
because there’s a trade-off of safety vs efficiency. You’d like no limits, safety extremists might want 55 max or something,
Old 03-10-19, 04:43 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

how did they come up with this magic number of 112 mph or 180kph? Hows a 112mph speed limit going to prevent deaths that occur at far lower speeds? More deaths happen on city streets vs the highway despite being a lower speed. If the objective is to reduce deaths then why impose arbitrary limits instead of automated driving.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-10-19 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-10-19, 05:25 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
exaggerate much? U.s. survived the horrid 55 speed limit with lots of innovation.

because there’s a trade-off of safety vs efficiency. You’d like no limits, safety extremists might want 55 max or something,
well first of all the average 1960s car had like 80 hp and is a total death trap compared to what's on sale today (in North America at least), and you're talking about just the posted limit which isn't the same as the car literally being electronically limited

i'm glad you brought up efficiency though since I think that's the strongest argument for having a top speed be limited, mpgs really start to take a downturn past 75 or so

and I don't want no limits lol... but if everyone could just follow 2-3 basic rules there's no reason why certain sections of highway in this country couldn't have derestricted zones

but to really answer the why aren't all cars limited to 75 question... because doing so would completely destroy speeding ticket revenues... I mean lets be honest everything always comes down to $$$
Old 03-10-19, 05:28 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
how did they come up with this magic number of 112 mph or 180kph? Hows a 112mph speed limit going to prevent deaths that occur at far lower speeds? More deaths happen on city streets vs the highway despite being a lower speed. If the objective is to reduce deaths then why impose arbitrary limits instead of automated driving.
I think someone here might've already said this, but that's the speed rating for an S rated tire, which no doubt allows Volvo to fit cheaper tires to the cars
Old 03-10-19, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think someone here might've already said this, but that's the speed rating for an S rated tire, which no doubt allows Volvo to fit cheaper tires to the cars

Yes, that's true that it is the limit for an S-rated tire, but I don't think Volvo did this just to penny-pinch on rubber. Volvo has always been safety-conscious, and often leads the industry on implementing safety-innovations.
Old 03-10-19, 07:36 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that's true that it is the limit for an S-rated tire, but I don't think Volvo did this just to penny-pinch on rubber. Volvo has always been safety-conscious, and often leads the industry on implementing safety-innovations.
yes i'm sure when volvo was still volvo this wouldn't have been as much of a factor, but now that volvo is part of the zhejiang geely holding group i'm sure little cost cutting measures are more of a thing
Old 03-10-19, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

yes i'm sure when volvo was still volvo this wouldn't have been as much of a factor, but now that volvo is part of the zhejiang geely holding group i'm sure little cost cutting measures are more of a thing

Well, an interesting thought. You may have a point.
Old 03-11-19, 05:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When the avg joe doesn't know what UTQG is, how it is self reported and fudged, nor what the speed ratings are, imho absolutely it has to do with the tires, as it did with the Japanese in the 90's. But no need to speculate, wait for this 112 mph limiter to take effect, then we can look at what tires come with the vehicles. There has been this push in the last 15 years or so, to stop leaving money on the table. Look at Michelin tires. Premiers went to 8.5/32, when tires traditionally are 11/32. That's not nothing. It looks semi worn brand new, and when it has 20k, tire shops and dealers start recommending replacement lol

And if they can wear out at 50-60k, which they are, people get a new set and to prorate $100 bucks that's good marketing. Don't take my word for it, go to that tire website and look those tires up for treads wearing out, and when. Gone are the days where a tire co warrants a tire to 60k and they go 85k. That's dumb, i.e. leaving money on the table for the mfg.

edit p.s. I saw a Lacrosse on fire on the way to work. When I get a chance I will pull the video from my dash cam, it was really on fire. Can't say I've ever seen it like that, especially before emergency vehicles. The woman whom I assume was the owner was video'ing it (of course that is everybody's primary concern today, will be a cool post on facebook!)

Last edited by Johnhav430; 03-11-19 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-11-19, 09:30 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly the 112mph limit makes me like Volvo even more....beautiful machines - I would own one if I could afford it.

Old 03-11-19, 10:02 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

I wonder if this 112 mph limit has to do with any of the on-board safety tech. Most systems (Forward Emergency Braking, Lane Keep Assist, etc.) regardless of manufacturer have a certain speed cap at which they stop functioning. For example, Infiniti Q50S forward sensing radar cannot see stopped objects when you travel faster than ~45 mph. Or in the new ES, Pre-Collision braking only functions below 110 mph. I wonder if Volvo's speed restriction on all new models allows them to ensure all of their safety tech will always function at all operable vehicle speeds.
Old 03-11-19, 10:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Honestly the 112mph limit makes me like Volvo even more....beautiful machines - I would own one if I could afford it.

That's about as odd looking as the brand new Subaru Forester I saw this AM. And hats off to you for admitting you can't afford something, today, most would not do that. I admit I cannot afford a new Lincoln Nav L black label, it's around $1,900/mo. and then that drops to mid 1k's with 20k down. I'd need to put down around 75k to get the payment into a reasonable monthly amount and I don't have that much discretionary income. I'd have to sell a stock to come up with it, and then what rhyme/reason would be used to justify, i.e. cannot afford.
Old 03-11-19, 10:52 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think with all the technology in cars these days, especially radar and sonar sensing equipment, these cars can "sense" traffic. It would be easy to program this technology to adjust "maximum speed". Too much traffic around the car? The computer adjusts so that top speed is limited to, say, 20% faster that the closest vehicle. Open road, no traffic? You get the idea. There are many ways this could be incorporated.
Old 03-11-19, 05:04 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone needs to go over 100 mph/160 km per hour on a US/Canada road or highway, they've got a problem with driving mindset. It's a move to lessen a high speed fatality and make a collision survivable. Sure you can have unrestricted zones on some stretches of highway, but how are you going to determine which vehicles and drivers are qualified to use those spaces?
Old 03-11-19, 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

What 55 MPH Limit? It was almost never truly enforced. A complete waste of signs and sign-painters.

Quick Reply: Volvo will limit top speed to 112 mph on all models