Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2020 Buick LaCrosse we won't get

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 03:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

10 years ago you could get an E550 with a honkin 382HP NA V8.where have the good old days gone? (Rhetorical)
Good old days in the US are gone. Prices have gone up quite a bit in the USA vs the rest of the world.
Old 03-16-19, 03:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Good old days in the US are gone. Prices have gone up quite a bit in the USA vs the rest of the world.

No, it's legislation and government crap, fuel economy standards. We would still have cars like that if it were all more relaxed.

Funny that the new Silverado with the new 4cyl gets notably WORSE gas mileage than the trusty old 5.3 V8.

https://jalopnik.com/the-four-cylind...-th-1831955316
Old 03-16-19, 03:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No, it's legislation and government crap, fuel economy standards. We would still have cars like that if it were all more relaxed.

Funny that the new Silverado with the new 4cyl gets notably WORSE gas mileage than the trusty old 5.3 V8.

https://jalopnik.com/the-four-cylind...-th-1831955316
Yes it is. But US prices have increased significantly. They have become more in line with countries outside the US. Prices have not gone up as much in some other countries.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-16-19 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-18-19, 11:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

If you look at car prices in the US adjusted for inflation, they actually haven't gone up really at all...
Old 03-18-19, 12:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

I need to amend my statement there, this new 4 cylinder in said Silverado TIES the 6.2 on the highway for MPG. All this R&D for a buzzy 4 banger when the Corvette engine with 110 more hp (that turns that truck into a hot rod) gets the same mpg at 75MPH.

This is all crap, in 30 years we will all be whirring around in Jetson cars, just not flying.

Get the car you want now and hold onto it.
Old 03-22-19, 01:15 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, and that's the most disgusting example which is funny that you brought it up.

You're probably right, though. We aren't even getting this car.

And yes, $80k gets you a 4 cylinder E-Class in 2019. That I'm not okay with and never will be.

10 years ago you could get an E550 with a honkin 382HP NA V8...where have the good old days gone? (Rhetorical)
I agree 100%. A 4 cylinder, turbo or no,t is a huge mistake on a 60k+ German luxury car. If i'm going to spend that kind of money on a European luxury car, it'd better have a V8, or at a bare minimum, a TT6.
Old 06-15-19, 03:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Looking over at GM Authority. Bastards a GM updated the seats and interior as well as added a pano-roof. I cannot link the pics, but those are some nice seat designs, patterns and they went four-way headrests.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-dropped-in-us
Old 06-15-19, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Looking over at GM Authority. Bastards a GM updated the seats and interior as well as added a pano-roof. I cannot link the pics, but those are some nice seat designs, patterns and they went four-way headrests.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-dropped-in-us

Not sure about the Chinese version, but the U.S.-spec Avenir came with 19-inch wheels. I probably wouldn't want them...they just add bump to the ride. (I've got the standard 18s)

The purplish paint job is nice, though, and, though we don't see it in the image, they (probably) put the tri-colored Buick shield on the steering wheel.....which IMO they should have done on the American version, but didn't.
Old 06-15-19, 04:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not sure about the Chinese version, but the U.S.-spec Avenir came with 19-inch wheels. I probably wouldn't want them...they just add bump to the ride. (I've got the standard 18s)

The purplish paint job is nice, though, and, though we don't see it in the image, they (probably) put the tri-colored Buick shield on the steering wheel.....which IMO they should have done on the American version, but didn't.
Do you know if the pano roof is available on the Us models ?
Old 06-15-19, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Do you know if the pano roof is available on the U.S. models ?
Redundant. The U.S. version is currently out of production...and the Impala will be by the end of the year. I may be wrong, but I don't remember it being on the 2017-2018 American-spec version, even as an option, although conventional power-sunroofs were, of course, available.
Old 06-15-19, 08:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Looking over at GM Authority. Bastards a GM updated the seats and interior as well as added a pano-roof.
they’re bastards because they updated the product for a market where it does well and dropped it in a market where it does very poorly? not following what they’re doing wrong. it’s a business.
Old 06-15-19, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not following what they’re doing wrong. it’s a business.
It's more than a business. It's extortion. GM and Ford are trying to force people out of sedans into SUVs, where there is more profit per unit. In fact, Sulu has just posted a Car Chat thread which (correctly) predicts a big backfire coming from the current proliferation of SUVs.

Don't get me wrong. I was a big supporter of GM getting the bailout money, and still believe, today, that it was the correct national decision for us, at the time. That was the GM of 10 years ago, essentially trying to run an honest business, slimming down, and reorganizing into four divisions instead of eight. Then, Marry Barra came along, and, for several years, ran the company brilliantly. But that is not the GM of today. Things changed in the last couple of years (particularly last year), when management forgot who they were, what they were running, what their long-term missions/goals were, and decided to go all-out for short-term profits by trying to force sedan-buyers into SUVs, not realizing that, in the long term, they will alienate a lot of people and lose sales down the road. It's a shame that money (and, particularly, questionable or unethical ways of trying to make it) has such a hold over so many people.....simply sad.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-19 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 08:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they’re bastards because they updated the product for a market where it does well and dropped it in a market where it does very poorly? not following what they’re doing wrong. it’s a business.
Just sad that they really made some nice updates to this car. But now gone from the US market. Not arguing that there is a market for this car in the US at this point.
Old 06-16-19, 09:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's more than a business. It's extortion. GM and Ford are trying to force people out of sedans into SUVs, where there is more profit per unit. In fact, Sulu has just posted a Car Chat thread which (correctly) predicts a big backfire coming from the current proliferation of SUVs.

Don't get me wrong. I was a big supporter of GM getting the bailout money, and still believe, today, that it was the correct national decision for us, at the time. That was the GM of 10 years ago, essentially trying to run an honest business, slimming down, and reorganizing into four divisions instead of eight. Then, Marry Barra came along, and, for several years, ran the company brilliantly. But that is not the GM of today. Things changed in the last couple of years (particularly last year), when management forgot who they were, what they were running, what their long-term missions/goals were, and decided to go all-out for short-term profits by trying to force sedan-buyers into SUVs, not realizing that, in the long term, they will alienate a lot of people and lose sales down the road. It's a shame that money (and, particularly, questionable or unethical ways of trying to make it) has such a hold over so many people.....simply sad.

I don't think so , Mike.
More and more people are buying SUV/CUV over sedans except for Camry, Accord and Altima. US badges are dying with their sedans and will shift to what people want and make more profit.
Old 06-16-19, 10:01 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice looking sedan, of the past. The 4 cyl is a joke. I don't know how GM can force anyone buy a SUV. The majority of buyers are voting with their dollars and want a SUV now. Mike you are in the minority and name calling will not change GM's business model. Please move on and keep us up to date on your next top 3 choices of a Lacrosse replacement instead of all the negativity.

Quick Reply: The 2020 Buick LaCrosse we won't get