Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus: Still a luxury brand...or has it become a premium brand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 08:22 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No question Lexus is still legitimately a luxury brand. More now than ever before.

A "luxury" brand is a fluid label and depends who you ask. There's also the tier 1, tier 2, tier 3 argument.

MB, BMW, Audi, and Lexus are tier 1.

Acura, Infiniti, Cadillac, Lincoln, Volvo, Genesis, Jaguar, and others are tier 2 or 3 but are still luxury brands.

"Premium" usually refers to a brand such as Buick or I would say higher end models from the mainstream brands. They are certainly premium. Avalon, Cadenza, etc. are examples of premium models. Any top trim 3-row crossover is premium ($45-$55K from mainstream brands).
Old 03-06-19, 08:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
No question Lexus is still legitimately a luxury brand. More now than ever before.

A "luxury" brand is a fluid label and depends who you ask. There's also the tier 1, tier 2, tier 3 argument.

Acura, Infiniti, Cadillac, Lincoln, Volvo, Genesis, Jaguar, and others are tier 2 or 3 but are still luxury brands.

"Premium" usually refers to a brand such as Buick or I would say higher end models from the mainstream brands. They are certainly premium. Avalon, Cadenza, etc. are examples of premium models. Any top trim 3-row crossover is premium ($45-$55K from mainstream brands).
I do not agree that their are tiers. Anyways, what determines if a brand is tier 1 or tier 2? I would be interested to hear.
Old 03-06-19, 08:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-

Hilarious, Lexus is nowhere near tier 1. If anything, Lexus became a hopeless brand.
Old 03-06-19, 08:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Just because a brand has some models that can be cross shopped well doesn't mean the brand is on equal footing, I don't see an argument that Lincoln is on the same level as Lexus...and certainly not Mercedes. Lincoln doesn't even have a dealership network, they are all sold out of Ford dealers, service linked with Ford, etc.

The Navigator is an excellent product, but its the only excellent product Lincoln sells currently.
I guess everyone has their own opinions, that's fine if you don't believe. Lincoln now offers pick up and return for service and will give you a loaner. That screams luxury IMO.
Old 03-06-19, 08:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 228 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I guess everyone has their own opinions, that's fine if you don't believe. Lincoln now offers pick up and return for service and will give you a loaner. That screams luxury IMO.
That's probably because there aren't Lincoln dealers anymore, which I wasn't aware of. Valet pickup for service is nice, though.

However it would be weird to see Lexus go into Toyota dealerships. Big time.
Old 03-06-19, 08:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
That's probably because there aren't Lincoln dealers anymore, which I wasn't aware of. Valet pickup for service is nice, though.

I think the idea their are no dealers is wrong.

https://driving.ca/lincoln/auto-news...rate-from-ford
Old 03-06-19, 08:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I believe there are a few locations in NA that have Lexus and Toyota sort of linked. Not exactly in the same show room, but same building or attached in same complex.
Old 03-06-19, 08:58 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I think the idea their are no dealers is wrong.

https://driving.ca/lincoln/auto-news...rate-from-ford
Oh, good for them then. 30 dealers isn't a lot though for the country.

Per a previous post of yours on this thread I strongly disagree with your opinion that Lincoln is in the same class of luxury car as a Mercedes, btw. Lincoln is a joke, to me at least. The Navi is impressive but it still doesn't have the status/bling/cachet the Escalade does, even though it's almost brand new versus the old Escalade. For every Navigator I see, I see about 30 Escalades, no exaggeration. This city is huge with the expensive BOF SUVs, it is very obvious what the wealthy are spending their money on, are the 80-100k trucks.

I can't even name one Lincoln model other than the Conti and Navi. I've seen a few Contis around here, they do look sharp at least.
Old 03-06-19, 09:08 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I think all this is a bit like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Yeah, I think Lexus builds excellent cars with lovely interiors and legendary reliability. And they are expensive.

The fact that the rugged reliability foundation comes from the world-class Toyota engineers is a plus, not a minus. Would you rather have a lovely car that has lots of quirks? I'm sure we can think of cars in that category. Does quirkiness equate luxury? Certainly not in my view.

I can guarantee you that when I drive through the parking lot of the private golf course here in upscale Lake Oswego you see a lot of Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus. A LOT of Lexus.
Old 03-06-19, 09:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, good for them then. 30 dealers isn't a lot though for the country.

Per a previous post of yours on this thread I strongly disagree with your opinion that Lincoln is in the same class of luxury car as a Mercedes, btw. Lincoln is a joke, to me at least. The Navi is impressive but it still doesn't have the status/bling/cachet the Escalade does, even though it's almost brand new versus the old Escalade. For every Navigator I see, I see about 30 Escalades, no exaggeration. This city is huge with the expensive BOF SUVs, it is very obvious what the wealthy are spending their money on, are the 80-100k trucks.

I can't even name one Lincoln model other than the Conti and Navi. I've seen a few Contis around here, they do look sharp at least.
IMO. I think Lincoln has finally figured out their brand. They are doing this quiet luxury theme. They have finally figured out their front end style. Their most current marketing is pretty good IMO or at least I am attracted to it. So, everyone is different I guess. I for sure think the current Lincoln offerings from the brand is definitely luxury. I think the Continental is by far the best looking large sedan on the market right now. I also think the idea of reserve, or black label, bridge if weir, the chalet or yacht themes are quite appealing and very refreshing. The Continental has a choice of three different engines, what does an ES or GS offer?

I just looked up the new Nautalus, I was surprised to discover their are two different I4 or V6 options, both are turbo charged, their are 11 different color choices, 5 different interior color choices, and 5 different wheel choices ranging from 18" to 21". To me, that is pretty appealing.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-06-19 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 09:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

IMO. I think Lincoln has finally figured out their brand. They are doing this quiet luxury theme. They have finally figured out their front end style. Their most current marketing is pretty good IMO or at least I am attracted to it. So, everyone is different I guess. I for sure think the current Lincoln offerings from the brand is definitely luxury. I think the Continental is by far the best looking large sedan on the market right now. I also think the idea of reserve, or black label, bridge if weir, the chalet or yacht themes are quite appealing and very refreshing.

I just looked up the new Nautalus, I was surprised to discover their are two different I4 or V6 options, both are turbo charged, their are 11 different color choices, 5 different interior color choices, and 5 different wheel choices ranging from 18" to 21". To me, that is pretty appealing.

Ah, I also forgot about the new Aviator. I admit that looks impressive. I'm just not a Ford guy, though. I'll never forget having to screw the door attacher thingys in manually in my '93 SHO (first car) as I was driving so the doors wouldn't open and I fall out.
Old 03-06-19, 09:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Ah, I also forgot about the new Aviator. I admit that looks impressive. I'm just not a Ford guy, though. I'll never forget having to screw the door attacher thingys in manually in my '93 SHO (first car) as I was driving so the doors wouldn't open and I fall out.
We are not the biggest Ford fans. But we can definitely find things appealing with Lincoln.
Old 03-06-19, 11:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I meant to add this earlier--Lexus service is phenomenal. I took our 350 in for a recall and they returned it with the tank full--that's the epitome of good customer service.

I know about the brake light recall recall with the early LS400s where they did that, filled the tanks, but figured that was just for then.

I never go to Lexus anymore bc my cars are old and dealer is a huge ripoff, but yes the service is out of this world.

That goes a long way in establishing Lexus as a tier 1 brand.
Old 03-07-19, 03:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
LS460 and the LS460L, that was no longer the case. Even with the all new LS500, IMHO that car just doesn't present as a peer to what is offered as the S Class, 7 Series and A8.

So while the experience of a Lexus dealer and service has IMPROVED since 1998, the dealers are much grander for instance...the product has notably fallen behind those "luxury" brands.

In order to get back into that realm I think they need to really start addressing that upper end of their lineup. $100,000 is the new $80,000. Lexus does not play in that over $100,000 segment at all.
it seems you dont like new LS500 and hence you believe Lexus is not luxury brand anymore.

Reality is that LS500 and LS500h sell at considerably higher prices than old LS, they look unique, luxurious and special. Overall Lexus average prices are going north every year, while their competition is going south.

Personally, new LS is finally a real luxury flagship. 2007 model was certainly premium, but that is about it... it was affordable premium barge. 2019 LS is unique, interesting car with some exquisite details found only in luxury brands.

In any case, LS and LC are pretty unique in the segment and Audi or BMW do not have anything like it.
Old 03-07-19, 06:43 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it seems you dont like new LS500 and hence you believe Lexus is not luxury brand anymore.

Reality is that LS500 and LS500h sell at considerably higher prices than old LS, they look unique, luxurious and special. Overall Lexus average prices are going north every year, while their competition is going south.

Personally, new LS is finally a real luxury flagship. 2007 model was certainly premium, but that is about it... it was affordable premium barge. 2019 LS is unique, interesting car with some exquisite details found only in luxury brands.

In any case, LS and LC are pretty unique in the segment and Audi or BMW do not have anything like it.
Thats comical. If anything, Lexus took a step back with the current LS. IMO, it is less refined and certainly doesn’t scream luxury. Sporty yes, luxurious, not so much.

Its all about sales. If the new version attract more customers to the LS line then that’s a win. If they alienate old school LS owners and don’t pick up enough new customers to the LS line, then not so good.

Quick Reply: Lexus: Still a luxury brand...or has it become a premium brand?