Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Subaru Legacy

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 12:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They also get an A+ for designing vehicles that consistently sell.
The first Hyundai Excel also sold well. Sales do not always mean stellar product or a healthy company.
Old 02-08-19, 12:48 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The first Hyundai Excel also sold well. Sales do not always mean stellar product or a healthy company.
Look at Hyundai now, still around....
Old 02-08-19, 12:56 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Now that was a car. Even mentioned by Big E Smalls as he was called back then. But I hear you companies window-dress all the time. Subaru profits are down over 30%, there's no way in heck heads are not rolling in Camden, NJ. But my experience looking at their cars is dealerships are packed, no salespeople available, not many cars on the lot. Lexus was packed too and couldn't get a salesperson when I wanted to do that $75 gift card test drive...lot had tons and tons of cars especially the 350 suv...
Old 02-08-19, 01:27 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I think this is a prelude to an updated Outback with this type of styling. Who knows, it may spur some sales interest in the legacy first.
Old 02-08-19, 03:25 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
I think this is a prelude to an updated Outback with this type of styling. Who knows, it may spur some sales interest in the legacy first.
Yep, it's happening!

https://www.motor1.com/news/304603/s...-confirmation/
Old 02-09-19, 06:11 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The drone sound is what kills it for me. Ruins the driving experience and embarrassing to have someone in the car with you. Sounds like the car is dying!
May. Well maybe you will enjoy the drone of the 2.4L more. ...I can’t say I’ve driven The WRX with the CVT.
Old 02-09-19, 06:29 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

They also get an A+ for designing vehicles that consistently sell.
86 months of yearly, month-over-month sales increases definitely isn't hurting.

Old 02-09-19, 06:31 AM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Now that was a car. Even mentioned by Big E Smalls as he was called back then. But I hear you companies window-dress all the time. Subaru profits are down over 30%, there's no way in heck heads are not rolling in Camden, NJ. But my experience looking at their cars is dealerships are packed, no salespeople available, not many cars on the lot. Lexus was packed too and couldn't get a salesperson when I wanted to do that $75 gift card test drive...lot had tons and tons of cars especially the 350 suv...
Maybe it depends on your area? Out in AZ lots have plenty of inventory available, and plenty of sales people as well.
Old 02-09-19, 07:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kos
86 months of yearly, month-over-month sales increases definitely isn't hurting.
Again, revenue, and profit, are two different things. Ideally, both would increase. to contrast, a > 30% profit decrease does hurt. (this is why I get that many up until know believed that 2018 was the year of the tax decrease! That's what makes politics and sales go hand in hand lol)
Old 02-09-19, 07:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kos
Maybe it depends on your area? Out in AZ lots have plenty of inventory available, and plenty of sales people as well.
This wasn't recent, to clarify. When I went I was specifically interested in the WRX Limited, manual, not STi. The whole environment to me was a turn off. The salesperson said we don't do test drives unless a buyer is serious. To that I said get the keys for the black one (seriously I don't really put up with that). He tucked his tail and went to get a plate.
Old 02-10-19, 10:50 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This wasn't recent, to clarify. When I went I was specifically interested in the WRX Limited, manual, not STi. The whole environment to me was a turn off. The salesperson said we don't do test drives unless a buyer is serious. To that I said get the keys for the black one (seriously I don't really put up with that). He tucked his tail and went to get a plate.
Yeah, I've heard a few sales people complain about the number of people that come in to drive the WRX with no intention of buying one.
Old 02-10-19, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yeah, I've heard a few sales people complain about the number of people that come in to drive the WRX with no intention of buying one.

For the WRX, I used to call them the caps-on-backwards crowd.

Doing that is not always necessarily a waste of time, though, for the salespeople. At one local Subaru place, a number of years ago, me and my brother both went there for a couple of test-drives. Neither of us bought anything that day (or even that same week)...but we both came back some time later. He took home a new Impreza, me an Outback.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-10-19 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 08:37 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

pretty ho-hum to me, imo
Old 02-11-19, 05:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

For the WRX, I used to call them the caps-on-backwards crowd.

Doing that is not always necessarily a waste of time, though, for the salespeople. At one local Subaru place, a number of years ago, me and my brother both went there for a couple of test-drives. Neither of us bought anything that day (or even that same week)...but we both came back some time later. He took home a new Impreza, me an Outback.
LOL when my son was < 2, I got him a Flyers cap, and told my wife, don't peel off the sticker (this one was made by 47, personally I think the best are made by New Era). Her g/f (love her they're from MASS), goes why the **** does he still have his sticker on his hat (her son had the same one), and she rips it right off. I can't explain why I told my wife to leave it to be honest. It's like people love the "7 1/4" or "7 5/8" sticker to show they've got a big brain or something....

But I didn't buy the have to be serious to test drive deal, because again I only wanted the WRX limited manual, not the STi, totally diffrerent engines. And someone all of about 20 was test driving the STi. I remember the kid telling me, "What do I have to do to get you to buy a car today?" "I said if you told me Subaru will make all their cars in Indiana starting tomorrow, I'd probably buy one.
Can you believe the kid said well I think there won't be any more made in Japan next year? lol
Old 02-11-19, 07:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

But I didn't buy the have to be serious to test drive deal, because again I only wanted the WRX limited manual, not the STi, totally diffrerent engines.
Yes, definitely different powerplants. The STi, like the Mitsubishi Evo, is a classic boy-racer/rallying machine, where the WRX has less power and, while still quite lively on the street, is more practical as a daily-driver.

And someone all of about 20 was test driving the STi. I remember the kid telling me, "What do I have to do to get you to buy a car today?" "I said if you told me Subaru will make all their cars in Indiana starting tomorrow, I'd probably buy one.
You, of course, were the voice of prophecy. Subaru opened a big plant at Lafayette, IN. In 2006, I bought one of the Outbacks manufactured there. Best snow vehicle I ever owned...bar none. When Toyota bought out part of Subaru, they gained access to that plant....some Camrys are also built there, in addition to Subarus.

Quick Reply: 2020 Subaru Legacy