ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   2020 Subaru Legacy (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/911057-2020-subaru-legacy.html)

Hoovey689 02-07-19 10:06 AM

2020 Subaru Legacy

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...b618c2b9f9.png
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...1c98387f28.png
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...8f00b47aa0.png
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...926c286493.png
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...0818216df3.png
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...ab66d6d4bd.png
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...c8ddcdfdda.png
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...70745abe01.png

The midsize sedan hops onto the Subaru Global Platform introduced a couple years ago with the Impreza. This structure is much more rigid than the 2019 model year car's platform, and also increases the use of ultra-high-tensile steel and structural adhesives. All this basically means that the new Legacy is stiffer, lighter and safer than the outgoing model — all good qualities to inherit.

Both engine options are reasonably attractive for 2020. Subaru is ditching the 3.6-liter flat-six as the premium option and moving to its new 2.4-liter turbocharged boxer-four introduced in the Ascent SUV. It makes the same 260 horsepower and 277 pound-feet of torque here, good for 0-60 mph times of 6.1 seconds. Most buyers will end up with the standard 2.5-liter four-cylinder boxer, outputting 182 horsepower and 176 pound-feet of torque (0-60 mph in 8.4 seconds). This engine is also relatively new, as we got our first shot at it behind the wheel of the 2019 Forester. Both engines are predictably paired with Subaru's CVT. Your best fuel economy is achieved with the naturally aspirated four, rated at 27/35 mpg city/highway. You'll take a small hit with the turbo at 24/32 mpg city/highway. As the Legacy is still a Subaru, every version is equipped with all-wheel drive.

A revised suspension design features a MacPherson strut setup in front and double-wishbone layout in rear. Subaru claims much higher dynamic performance and ride comfort with this suspension in combination with the new structure.

The 11.6-inch vertical touchscreen sitting front and center, Subaru says it can be split in half to display two types of information at once, like audio on top and navigation on the bottom. The screen will be standard on every level but the base Legacy, but navigation will be optional on all but the top-trim Touring. There are still a couple physical knobs, one for volume and one for tuning the radio. Nearly everything else is controllable through the massive infotainment screen. If it wasn't already assumed, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality comes standard.

Subaru says the Legacy is the first with true Nappa leather covering the seats. Adding to the luxury car experience is a claimed three-decibel noise reduction at highway speeds. Subaru EyeSight technology is standard on all trim levels of the Legacy. This means even the cheapest one will have adaptive cruise control and lane-centering. You'll need to pony up to the Limited or XT trims to gain access to Subaru's driver-monitoring system. That gadget detects driver fatigue or distraction, then actively counters with an alert. Subaru also expects the 2020 Legacy to achieve a Top Safety Pick+ rating from the IIHS.

There's a lot of great stuff here, but Subaru took the extreme conservative route on exterior styling. With other Japanese midsizers like the Accord, Camry and Altima still looking fresh and striking from their overhauls, the Legacy finds itself looking rather generic. All-wheel drive has always been the separator, and it still is the difference in this segment. However, Nissan is now selling an all-wheel-drive Altima, so the sale just got that much tougher for Subaru. Pricing will be available closer to the Legacy's on-sale date — Subaru says to expect it at dealerships this fall.
Source

coolsaber 02-07-19 10:20 AM

Its the one to beat interior wise. Exterior wise, subaru is a yawnfest. The altima kind of looks like the this, and considering its the only one with AWD probably the only competitor to it. The only issue is Nissan has a questionable track record when it comes its to long term reliability, Subaru kind of the same (but the strong following of the subaru will work in its favor).

The headunit is interesting, initially I thought it was the same supplier as the Volvo, now maybe the RAM (could be the same supplier).

LOWFAST 02-07-19 10:43 AM

Add back the hood scoop and give me the 6 speed and brembos from the WXR STI and I am in. We had a 2006 Spec B with mods, I loved that car, even the so called "boring" looks. I just can't do the CVT transmission.

kos 02-07-19 10:53 AM

I'm excited the 3.6R is now gone. This is an "LGT" essentially in the XT trim.

I don't think we'll ever see a Spec B variant ever again :( Was still happy to see the S209 finally come stateside though.

SLegacy99 02-07-19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by LOWFAST (Post 10433037)
Add back the hood scoop and give me the 6 speed and brembos from the WXR STI and I am in. We had a 2006 Spec B with mods, I loved that car, even the so called "boring" looks. I just can't do the CVT transmission.

Yes, I had an '05 GT Limited, with all of the SPT options, that was wonderfully quick and fun to drive. A true sleeper. Sadly this is not that car....

I'll keep holding my breath for the return of the 6 speed manual LGT while I attempt to cram car seats into the WRX.

Originally Posted by kos (Post 10433053)
I'm excited the 3.6R is now gone.

Recall that the 3.6L is the 3.0L that they did some odd mods to get it where it's at today....it was underpowered and less efficient than the smaller offerings from other automakers when it debuted. Good riddens.

Toys4RJill 02-07-19 03:17 PM

Looks pretty nice. Not sure I love the portrait orientation of the screen. But I am sure one could get used to it like other things.

RNM GS3 02-07-19 10:43 PM

Hoping they will have a STi version or tS like they do in Japan.

The CVT is absolute crap - why can’t they use 8speed auto?

Fizzboy7 02-08-19 01:34 AM

Subaru gets an "A+" for consistently designing cars that look two generations behind. There is no improvement here whatsoever. All angles, lines, and panels are dated. While the interior takes a daring step, the dash comes across as truckish and homely. Disappointing.

SLegacy99 02-08-19 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by RNM GS3 (Post 10433779)
The CVT is absolute crap - why can’t they use 8speed auto?

Because they don't have an 8 speed auto. I find that the CVT offered by Subaru is far superior to others that I have driven. Some complain about the simulated gear shifts, but IMO it's like drive a vehicle with a conventional transmission and thus avoids the drone of other CVTs.

Johnhav430 02-08-19 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7 (Post 10433812)
Subaru gets an "A+" for consistently designing cars that look two generations behind. There is no improvement here whatsoever. All angles, lines, and panels are dated. While the interior takes a daring step, the dash comes across as truckish and homely. Disappointing.

LOL it's another car I said I want to own but probably never will. I think the interior looks excellent, but I have to agree with the exterior. Then again, most exteriors are nothing great. Think about where we are in 2019. A SQ5 has exhaust tips that are pieces of plastic with no opening, i.e. they aren't actually exhaust. Remember how most thought it was stupid 10 yrs. ago to have fake vents on the front fenders, tacky? I do think this Subaru looks better than the current Accord. I had fully expected to Subaru to keep the stick, but not even BMW did that...who the heck knows we have that you pay what we pay with Subaru, maybe I would get one someday. But look in my co. parking lot, you don't see many so people don't buy Subarus on price. I think part of it is the perception of AWD, and the other is it's the Volvo of the 1980's mentality...

edit: I'm sure most will say this is nit-picking. I simply cannot stand exposed wires of any sort to rearview mirrors. Even the 2006 LS430 has an exposed wire. But this is 2019, Subaru couldn't have hidden it in a clamshell? And the trunk could benefit from struts unless it has a power pull down. It looks like my 1998 Maxima with the zip tied cable running on the arm. dang!

bagwell 02-08-19 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10433397)
Looks pretty nice. Not sure I love the portrait orientation of the screen. But I am sure one could get used to it like other things.

do you navigate with your phone horizontally or vertically? 😉

mmarshall 02-08-19 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7 (Post 10433812)
Subaru gets an "A+" for consistently designing cars that look two generations behind.

They also get an A+ for designing vehicles that consistently sell. :p;)

RNM GS3 02-08-19 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by SLegacy99 (Post 10433843)
Because they don't have an 8 speed auto. I find that the CVT offered by Subaru is far superior to others that I have driven. Some complain about the simulated gear shifts, but IMO it's like drive a vehicle with a conventional transmission and thus avoids the drone of other CVTs.

I disagree- the CVT in my Legacy is crap.
Besides the fake gear changes - I even have the paddles on steering wheel to change “gears”.
The drone sound is what kills it for me. Ruins the driving experience and embarrassing to have someone in the car with you. Sounds like the car is dying!

I’m aware they don’t have an 8speed.
They can easily go to a supplier and get one or a 10speed. Call their friends at Toypta.
I been driving a rental 2018 Camry on a trip and transmission is great with no drone, rest of the car including engine is much worse than my Legacy.

mmarshall 02-08-19 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by RNM GS3 (Post 10433976)

I disagree- the CVT in my Legacy is crap.
Besides the fake gear changes - I even have the paddles on steering wheel to change “gears”.

You're probably already aware of this, but what the paddles do is simply shift the position of the drive-belt, on the cone-pulleys, to simulate gears. That way, if you want more power for climbing hills, quick passing, or engine-braking when descending steep hills, just flick the paddles where you want them. Otherwise, the belt runs in CVT-automatic mode, up and down, with a continually-variable ratio.

The drone sound is what kills it for me. Ruins the driving experience and embarrassing to have someone in the car with you. Sounds like the car is dying!
Agreed to some extent, but what irks me the most about some CVTs is the motorboat-effect when accelerating at low speeds. It can be like a boat with an outboard motor, where, when you give it throttle, the propeller spins up for a few seconds and then the boat itself responds.

Johnhav430 02-08-19 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by mmarshall (Post 10433933)
They also get an A+ for designing vehicles that consistently sell. :p;)

But net net profits are down over 30%. Sears is also selling. They have an offer of $100 off a purchase of $100. $30 off $30, looks good for revenue sake.