Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Cost Cutting, really grinding my gears.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 09:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

How come, btw, do police officers (seen it on YouTube) ask people, "Can you roll down your window a little more?" If you said, "No, I cannot," that's actually accurate as there's nothing to roll, that I know of...
Old 02-08-19, 11:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
My new Ram has a braille-type raised dot on the drivers side window switch...
yeah it's for blind drivers. i keed, i keed...

Old 02-08-19, 12:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yeah, I think most do have this. If you look at bit's G90 picture, you can see a raised dot. My GS and Highlander have depressions on the driver's window switch to help, though I think it's a bit unnecessary. Just use the switch on the left...
Forgot it being overkill for a moment. Why wouldn’t you want something like this? It’s small details that make things better. The point of it is to be able to easily feel which window is which window switch, not everyone drives there car every day or perhaps they drive different car one day but a different car the next.
Old 02-08-19, 12:07 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Woo hoo! On my '16 NX, lexus didn't skimp on the window switches-they gave us the spacers.

However, lexus USA gave us the 2 middle fingers for no power folding rear view mirrors and ML stereo

(excuse the dirty pictures)

Even my 2011 sienna se has it.
Old 02-08-19, 12:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Forgot it being overkill for a moment. Why wouldn’t you want something like this? It’s small details that make things better. The point of it is to be able to easily feel which window is which window switch, not everyone drives there car every day or perhaps they drive different car one day but a different car the next.
No reason. I just don't think it adds value. If you can't feel which switch is on the left, then you probably won't recognize the indent or raised area. I would harbor a guess that Toyota would save more money by getting rid of that (eliminates a part number) than taking the separator tab out of the plastic mold.
Old 02-08-19, 12:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Woo hoo! On my '16 NX, lexus didn't skimp on the window switches-they gave us the spacers.

However, lexus USA gave us the 2 middle fingers for no power folding rear view mirrors and ML stereo

(excuse the dirty pictures)

Even my 2011 sienna se has it.
Thanks for posting . Looks proper with the spacers.
Old 02-08-19, 12:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No reason. I just don't think it adds value. If you can't feel which switch is on the left, then you probably won't recognize the indent or raised area. I would harbor a guess that Toyota would save more money by getting rid of that (eliminates a part number) than taking the separator tab out of the plastic mold.
If no reason? Then why would you say it adds no value. Why not take out the lights as well for the switch? Yes, it would save them money.
Old 02-08-19, 12:19 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

If no reason? Then why would you say it adds no value. Why not take out the lights as well for the switch? Yes, it would save them money.
You asked me if I thought there was a reason it should not be there. I do not think it reduces functionality (nor aids in it), so no, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't or can't be there. But at the same time, I see no reason to include it. Personally I think it's a waste.

In terms of lights, I would vote to leave them in. I am a big advocate of lighted controls.
Old 02-08-19, 12:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

In terms of lights, I would vote to leave them in. I am a big advocate of lighted controls.
For what reason?
Old 02-08-19, 12:27 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

For what reason?
Having the lights helps you locate the window switch panel. Knowledge and muscle memory will quickly lead you there in your own car, but as you pointed out, sometimes people drive cars that they are not familiar with. Window switch panel locations vary greatly between cars and manufacturers. I've seen them high up on the door sill (4Runner, for example), I've seen them on the arm wrest (Highlander), I've seen them down lower on the door (previous gen 4Runner like you have), and of course we've seen them down in the center console.

The indent on a driver's side switch doesn't really help. You've already located the panel by that point, and you can feel which switch is on the left.
Old 02-08-19, 12:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Having the lights helps you locate the window switch panel. Knowledge and muscle memory will quickly lead you there in your own car, but as you pointed out, sometimes people drive cars that they are not familiar with.

The indent on a driver's side switch doesn't really help. You've already located the panel by that point, and you can feel which switch is on the left.
The lights or intent provide the same thing, I see no reason not to have either. If someone knows the indent is there, they can easily not take their eyes off the road, if you were driving at night with fog, or heaving rain or snow, I doubt anyone would want to take their eyes off the road. The spacer prevents opening both windows and making mistake of hitting both buttons. I see the point of having all three. I have braille type indicators on my 4Runner to help me know where what is what, can’t remember on my other cars. There should be spacers on your steering wheel buttons. There is a reason why they are there, it was never there for cosmetic reasons.
Old 02-08-19, 12:56 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I guess its time to boycott Toyota over their lack of window dividers. I think it possibly is to differentiate their outgoing switches that are probably almost 2 decades old with their new lineup of switches. The whole TGNA thing is a ground up effort, starting with those dividers
Old 02-08-19, 01:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I guess its time to boycott Toyota over their lack of window dividers. I think it possibly is to differentiate their outgoing switches that are probably almost 2 decades old with their new lineup of switches. The whole TGNA thing is a ground up effort, starting with those dividers
Its not about boycotting. It's about differentiating whether it's cost cutting vs not needed. Toyota could go from hero to zero in no time, they could cost cut other stuff. My parents should not be complaining about their window switches opening both by accident. The space prevents this.
Old 02-08-19, 01:09 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Its not about boycotting. It's about differentiating whether it's cost cutting vs not needed. Toyota could go from hero to zero in no time, they could cost cut other stuff. My parents should not be complaining about their window switches opening both by accident. The space prevents this.
How would you tell the difference? It could have lowered costs by 1 cent, but those internal costs are not disclosed. It could have been a design theme, following the trends of other mfgs. If Toyota is going down the way of say GM/FCA (Flamesuit on), nothing much one can do, besides waiting.
Old 02-08-19, 01:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
How would you tell the difference? It could have lowered costs by 1 cent, but those internal costs are not disclosed. It could have been a design theme, following the trends of other mfgs. If Toyota is going down the way of say GM/FCA (Flamesuit on), nothing much one can do, besides waiting.
Give me a break design theme. They have spacers for the lock and unlock. As well as the steering wheel. No spaces on the hvac. So it's an incoherent design them then.

Quick Reply: Toyota Cost Cutting, really grinding my gears.