Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Cost Cutting, really grinding my gears.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 01:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Going the opposite way for just a second. On my 4Runner, it the weather is very, very cold, like at -25c like it was last week, the hood struts had a hard time keeping up the hood. And when there is a lot of frozen ice on the hood, it wants to lower itself. Still held up, but it wanted to drop slowly.
How old are your gas struts? They do wear out over time.
Old 02-10-19, 01:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
How old are your gas struts? They do wear out over time.
15 years. I am not apposed to either or. Of course, gas struts excude quality. Maybe not longetivity. There is never an issue with our hood struts when the weather is not as cold.
Old 02-10-19, 02:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

15 years. I am not apposed to either or. Of course, gas struts excude quality. Maybe not longetivity. There is never an issue with our hood struts when the weather is not as cold.
If you replaced them you wouldn't have that problem in cold temps.
Old 02-10-19, 02:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

If you replaced them you wouldn't have that problem in cold temps.
And if I had a prop to begin with, I would never have to replace them.
Old 02-10-19, 02:30 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
One thing I would like that will never happen, is to put true dual exhausts on the cars, and then with the increased exahaust flow, let off the aggressive mapping of the ECU or DME. Make the power and torque by the hardware, not the software. Since most car are turbo'd nowadays be it 4, 6, or 8 cyl, make sure they are twin, have two manifolds, and smaller turbochargers, with engineering looking to lower the boost and still achieve the HP/TQ numbers.
as much of a terrible low quality product as the crown vic is, from underneath at least on mine you could easily be fooled into thinking it was a somewhat serious performance machine from its actual legit dual exhaust going the entire length of the car... even on the LS 400 the exhaust briefly joins right after the cats but is then completely dual from behind the front of the b pillar

as far as i could tell though there was no purpose to it since the crown vic is remarkably sluggish and makes barely any power or torque lol, but it made quite a bit of noise so you still had fun
Old 02-10-19, 02:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And if I had a prop to begin with, I would never have to replace them.
But you'd have to deal with an annoying and less safe prop rod every time you open the hood.

Again, something you don't care about so its not cost cutting. No surprise.
Old 02-10-19, 02:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But you'd have to deal with an annoying and less safe prop rod every time you open the hood.

Again, something you don't care about so its not cost cutting. No surprise.
I do care about it. I have both set ups. One is cheaper than the other, of course its cost cutting. No sure how its less safe to have a prop. It just sucks that the struts on my 4Runner fail in cold weather.
Old 02-10-19, 03:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I do care about it. I have both set ups. One is cheaper than the other, of course its cost cutting. No sure how its less safe to have a prop. It just sucks that the struts on my 4Runner fail in cold weather.
The hood is less damped, the weight of the hood is less controlled, you’re more likely to close it on or hand or have it fall on you while you’re under the hood.

Nothing lasts forever, your 4Runner is old. Just buy a new set of struts.
Old 02-10-19, 04:17 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Extreme cold will bring out the weakest point on a vehicle, especially an older vehicle. Your struts were already worn but still held up in more moderate temps. The minus temps your area is experiencing shows you that they need to be changed. This is an easy fix for a DIYer, about 20 minute job with new struts. I'm surprised they've held up this long but it is a Toyota so that shows their parts supplier met a standard.

A hood prop rod is a cost cutting measure certainly. But for shorter people, or someone who doesn't have enough upper body strength to hold a hood open with one hand while reaching for that prop rod, it's a problem.
Old 02-10-19, 06:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG

A hood prop rod is a cost cutting measure certainly. But for shorter people, or someone who doesn't have enough upper body strength to hold a hood open with one hand while reaching for that prop rod, it's a problem.
For sure cost cutting, but I guess it would never fail. I can't reach the top of my hood in the 4Runner anyways, so prop or hood strut, really makes no difference to me, I would likely have a problem holding the hood and using the a prop. They only start to slip down when the weather is very, very cold.
Old 02-10-19, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I can't reach the top of my hood in the 4Runner anyways, so prop or hood strut, really makes no difference to me, I would likely have a problem holding the hood and using the a prop.
At 6' 2", I don't have that problem, but try one of these:

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-10-19 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 06:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
At 6' 2", I don't have that problem, but try one of these:

Thanks....LOL
Old 02-10-19, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks....LOL
I probably could have rephrased that.....I didn't mean to make it sound like a snide comment. There have been some jobs (like replacing burned-out light bulbs in the ceiling) where I needed a small step-raise myself.
Old 02-10-19, 07:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I probably could have rephrased that.....I didn't mean to make it sound like a snide comment. There have been some jobs where I needed a small step-raise myself.
Nah, I did not think it was a snide comment at all.

Here is something I do not like in modern cars vs older. Both of our SUVs have fixed overhead grab handles, made of rubber, they feel very solid.. Our two cars have plastic pivot handles. I think all Toyota/Lexus model now uses this method. I would say this is a form of cost cutting I do not like.
Old 02-10-19, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here is something I do not like in modern cars vs older. Both of our SUVs have fixed overhead grab handles, made of rubber, they feel very solid.. Our two cars have plastic pivot handles. I think all Toyota/Lexus model now uses this method. I would say this is a form of cost cutting I do not like.
Are you referring to these? These are what used to be referred to as "Oh, S*** bars". Passengers would grab them when an overly-aggressive driver would scare them or if they pulled a significant G-load going around a sharp corner.

Quick Reply: Toyota Cost Cutting, really grinding my gears.