Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Cost Cutting, really grinding my gears.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-19, 06:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,767 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What doesn't make sense? Have you ever seen how plastic stalks can break? I have. Doesn't happen that often, but certainly not rare.
The concept that heavy metal stalks would be safer than plastic stalks in an accident with high g forces is nonsensical.
Old 02-09-19, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
the concept that heavy metal stalks would be safer than plastic stalks in an accident with high g forces is nonsensical.
Metal doesn't have to be very heavy. And the safety level in a crash would depend on a number of factors. Calling something nonsense does not necessarily make it so.

Old 02-09-19, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
An utterly dumb and usesless feature on my 4Runner is the soft touch rear close. Glad they removed it.

Are you referring to the hatch-lid in the rear...where you just lower it to a couple of inches of the latch and it automatically latches itself? I agree that is not needed for most people, but get some arthritis (or injury) to the shoulder / arm / hand, and it can be quite useful.
Old 02-09-19, 07:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Are you referring to the hatch-lid in the rear...where you just lower it to a couple of inches of the latch and it automatically latches itself? I agree that is not needed for most people, but get some arthritis (or injury) to the shoulder / arm / hand, and it can be quite useful.
Yes. That is what I am talking about.
Old 02-09-19, 07:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That power soft close is an example of cost cutting for sure. Totally don't understand why that doesn't bother you...
Old 02-09-19, 07:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That power soft close is an example of cost cutting for sure. Totally don't understand why that doesn't bother you...
I dunno, because everyone is different. It is a useless feature to me. Plus I like to keep my vehicles for a long time, don't need it breaking. A locking gas door which was deleted from my parents 4Runner, but present on mine is something worth keeping.
Old 02-09-19, 07:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I dunno, because everyone is different. It is a useless feature to me. Plus I like to keep my vehicles for a long time, don't need it breaking. A locking gas door which was deleted from my parents 4Runner, but present on mine is something worth keeping.
You're making my point for me. You consider something cost cutting when its removed or changed and you don't like the change. When you do like the change or don't care about the change, all of a sudden its not cost cutting and it isn't a big deal. Every feature is something worth keeping, removing the locking gas door is absolutely cost cutting but so is removing the soft close hatch. If you really care about cost cutting, that should make you mad too.
Old 02-09-19, 08:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You're making my point for me. You consider something cost cutting when its removed or changed and you don't like the change. When you do like the change or don't care about the change, all of a sudden its not cost cutting and it isn't a big deal. Every feature is something worth keeping, removing the locking gas door is absolutely cost cutting but so is removing the soft close hatch. If you really care about cost cutting, that should make you mad too.
No. somethings can be cost cut for a good reason. Like I said, having the air cab filter in my 4Runner needing tools is just dumb. There is no benefit to it. There is no benefit to the slow touch rear hatch. A locking gas cap has a benefit to it. I thought we are all just giving an opinion? No reclining antenna in my 4Runner makes sense compared to the reclining antenna in our LX

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-09-19 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-09-19, 08:06 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Somebody doesn't know that every vehicle ever made since 2010 has an anti-siphon device in the filler neck, totally negating the need for locking gas caps/filler doors...unless you have someone pissed off enough to pour sugar in your gas tank.
Old 02-09-19, 08:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Somebody doesn't know that every vehicle ever made since 2010 has an anti-siphon device in the filler neck, totally negating the need for locking gas caps/filler doors...unless you have someone pissed off enough to pour sugar in your gas tank.
Or glue. Or taking your gas cap. Or maybe just breaking off the door completely. I know someone who had sugar poured in their tank back in 1993, the manager of a movie theatre my husband used to service.
Old 02-09-19, 08:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No. somethings can be cost cut for a good reason. Like I said, having the air cab filter in my 4Runner needing tools is just dumb. There is no benefit to it. There is no benefit to the slow touch rear hatch. A locking gas cap has a benefit to it. I thought we are all just giving an opinion? No reclining antenna in my 4Runner makes sense compared to the reclining antenna in our LX
Issue is you aren't presenting this as an opinion, you're making a declarative statement that "this IS cost cutting and its unacceptable", and you don't give any leeway to others that say they don't care about those items (hence out lenghly arguments over manual A/C controls in which you respond to my statement with "its just cost cutting"), yet you ask for that leeway when its something you don't care about.

If they remove a feature from a vehicle, that IS cost cutting, whether you appreciated the feature or not. What you can't say so clearly is that design choices are cost cutting (such as a window switch design with no divider, or a power peg indicating a locked or unlocked door vs a power switch that rotates in or out, or buttons for cruise control vs a stalk). Now if they removed the cruise control...that would be cost cutting, whether its controlled via a stalk or buttons is just a design choice.
Old 02-09-19, 08:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Issue is you aren't presenting this as an opinion, you're making a declarative statement that "this IS cost cutting and its unacceptable", and you don't give any leeway to others that say they don't care about those items (hence out lenghly arguments over manual A/C controls in which you respond to my statement with "its just cost cutting"), yet you ask for that leeway when its something you don't care about.

If they remove a feature from a vehicle, that IS cost cutting, whether you appreciated the feature or not. What you can't say so clearly is that design choices are cost cutting (such as a window switch design with no divider, or a power peg indicating a locked or unlocked door vs a power switch that rotates in or out, or buttons for cruise control vs a stalk). Now if they removed the cruise control...that would be cost cutting, whether its controlled via a stalk or buttons is just a design choice.
I have alway thought what I have said comes across as "my opinion". unless I am saying the Tundra makes 381hp. If you think I am coming off as making a fact, then you are reading into what I say to much. You may certainly feel that removing the spacers in the power window switch are design elelments, but I do not agree with that. Same with the removal of the AC button. However, the pegs on the LS certainly could be a design element, but the LC has the led lights which leads me to believe the pegs are there on the LS because it is an established model whereas the leds on the LC are there to provide new Lexus buyers with something a little better. Volkswagen Jetta uses the leds, but they move them closer to the mirrors than the end of the door, and they are only available on the top spec model.

It is possible to also hide cost cutting under the pretense of design.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-09-19 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 08:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My vote would be for metal. In a crash, Plastic stalks can break and have jagged edges, although a properly-functioning airbag and shoulder-belt might help prevent impact. Metal stalks usually don't break.
I bet you cannot find concrete evidence of this ever happening.
Old 02-10-19, 08:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry, more useless than an ultra thin piece of plastic between power window buttons.

I'm all for being against cost-cutting. But you are making this into "Toyota eliminates features that I like, and it bothers me."
Old 02-10-19, 08:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm sorry, more useless than an ultra thin piece of plastic between power window buttons.

I'm all for being against cost-cutting. But you are making this into "Toyota eliminates features that I like, and it bothers me."
Thanks for your opinion.

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm all for being against cost-cutting. ."
Can you give me an example of something you find that is cost-cutting? I want to see if I would agree.

Quick Reply: Toyota Cost Cutting, really grinding my gears.