Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM Brands Have Cut Complimentary Maintenance from Three Years to One

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 08:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default GM Brands Have Cut Complimentary Maintenance from Three Years to One

General Motors has made changes to its brands' complimentary maintenance plans for 2019 model year vehicles. It now offers just one free service visit instead of the previous two or three visits (depending on brand). This sole free visit—which amounts to an oil change, a tire rotation, and a multipoint vehicle inspection—must be redeemed within the first year of ownership.

GMC and Chevrolet both offered two complimentary scheduled maintenance visits on last year's models; the GMC website now shows details about the new one-visit program starting with 2019 models. Chevrolet has not yet updated its consumer website with details about its 2019 models’ complimentary scheduled maintenance plan, but a company representative has confirmed the brand is dropping its two year maintenance program in favor of a one-visit plan.

A representative from Cadillac explained to us that the change aligns the company's offerings with those of many luxury rivals such as Audi, which offers exactly the same service. However, brands such as Jaguarand BMW continue their free-service programs, with Jaguar owners getting five years and BMW owners getting three years of complimentary maintenance.

Cadillac and Buick have made no other changes to their standard warranty offerings, which currently are above average for the auto industry with six-year or 70,000-mile powertrain coverage. GMC and Chevrolet have held steady on their warranties as well but aren't as generous as GM's premium brands.

For owners interested in prepaid maintenance plans, GM will continue to offer such products through franchised dealerships. The plans range widely in both cost and coverage—Buick, for example, offers plans as short as two years all the way up to 15 years—and can be made to cover basics such as oil changes or be far more inclusive by covering items such as spark plugs and air filters.

We're hoping to hear more from representatives from each of the GM brands about why the company is making these changes and will update this article with more information as it becomes available.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/am...nance-reduced/

Old 02-02-19, 11:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

One reason why they may be cutting back on free oil changes (and the article doesn't address this) is that most new GM vehicles now, even without a turbo, require synthetic oil. My 2012 Verano used a semi-synthetic (5W20), and my 2018 Lacrosse uses full-synthetic 5W-30 (I like the fact that it uses a heavier-viscosity grade, by today's standards, for hot-summer engine protection). Synthetic, of course, is obviously more expensive than the traditional petroleum/dino-oil, and costs the dealership (or the manufacturer) more for each free oil change. I've also noticed something else.....the oil-life monitor in the Lacrosse 3.6L, which is a DI (direct-injection) engine, is programmed to run down noticeably quicker than it did in the Verano's 2.4L, which was not DI. This happens even for the same type of driving, which makes me think it is possibly done for liability reasons.....the 2.4L was known for high oil consumption. DI engines are also sometimes harder on oil.

GM Brands Have Cut Complimentary Maintenance from Three Years to One
(BTW, Jill...I think you need to edit the thread-title. The issue is two or three service-visits, not years). After a while, the titles have to be edited by a moderator.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-02-19 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-02-19, 12:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

GM corporate is cutting the service visits to save costs. These free services are just built into the cost of the vehicles anyways.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-02-19 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 02:51 PM
FilthyRich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM sucks

Just another reason why it’s difficult to spend my hard earned money on ANY GM product! Reliability, resale, cost of ownership are nowhere near that of Lexus or Toyota. Let’s hope Lexus exterior designs stop trying to draw kid racers!