Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis taking over the superbowl in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-19, 04:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lexus reliability for the major components, a very low defect rate from the factory, the typical Toyota/Lexus mirror-shine paint job, and the fact that it has something the original IS should have had and did not (AWD).
Awesome. Thank you.
Old 02-01-19, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The G70's win came against an Insight and S60. I should hope it wins out.

The G70 is aimed straight at the stalwart 3-Series. And thus far it's proved to be a real drivers car in the same vein as the 3-Series.
You may have already mentioned it, but if so, I don't remember. Have you had a chance to rest-drive a G70 yet?

It rides a little stiff for my tastes (most sports sedans do)...but, otherwise, is a darned good product.
Old 02-01-19, 04:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

It rides a little stiff for my tastes (most sports sedans do)...but, otherwise, is a darned good product.
So out of interest, Consumer Reports rates the Audi A4 an overall score of 80, BMW 3 series an overall score of 75, and the Genesis G70 an overall score of 73. Road tests were 88, 86, and 74. Thoughts?
Old 02-01-19, 04:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

So out of interest, Consumer Reports rates the Audi A4 an overall score of 80, BMW 3 series an overall score of 75, and the Genesis G70 an overall score of 73. Road tests were 88, 86, and 74. Thoughts?

Part of my high opinion of the G70 is its overall build quality, which, IMO, was as good or better than the competition. The car feels like it is carved out of a block granite. That's not something that always shows up in road tests, though frame-rigidity does help with ride/handling and suspension efficiency.

Go try one out yourself. One can talk all day about a vehicle, but there is nothing like hands-on experience.
Old 02-01-19, 05:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The G70 is aimed straight at the stalwart 3-Series. And thus far it's proved to be a real drivers car in the same vein as the 3-Series. It's win against the F30 a few months ago while good, doesn't tell much though since the F30 is in it's last year. When BMW releases the G20 fully, then we'll see just how good the G70 really is. BMW development chief Klaus Frohlich has gone on the record to say he is fed up with critics, and wants the G20 to beat everything. The 330i has an updated 2.0T making 255hp and 295ft-lbs which is 7hp and 37ft-lbs more than the outgoing. The M340i 3.0 I6 makes 382hp and 369ft-lbs and estimated 4.2 sec 0-60. The xDrive system can divert 100% of the torque to the rear when all-wheel drive is not needed. It's lighter than the outgoing one by as much as 121 pounds. Has a drag coefficient of 0.26. Body rigidity is up 25 percent. And finally the G20 maintains a 50:50 weight distribution. G70 2.0T vs 330i and G70 3.3T vs M340i is the battle (test) I want to see.
Winning at performance numbers is not enough. You need to better in design, technology, and projected status. I look at it in the way where would consumers pay the same amount for a G70 as they would a new 3 series. 95% of current segment buyers will be naturally attracted to BMW, MB or Audi, they are already paying more for those brands. Kudos to the car of the year awards for Genesis G70

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-01-19 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 06:00 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Winning at performance numbers is not enough. You need to better in design, technology, and projected status. I look at it in the way where would consumers pay the same amount for a G70 as they would a new 3 series. 95% of current segment buyers will be naturally attracted to BMW, MB or Audi, they are already paying more for those brands. Kudos to the car of the year awards for Genesis G70
You don't think if the G70 beats the 3-Series, or the 3-Series beats the G70 in a shootout that someone isn't going to gloat? We've discussed this before, inherently European cars, specifically German, already have a leg up and a head start. The badge plays a huge role in someones decision to buy a vehicle. When talking about compact/small luxury sport class, the 3-Series and C-Class are the perennial kings. Everyone will take their shot, do it well, and get their time in the limelight. The G/Q50, XE, Giulia, 3IS, A4, ATS and now the G70 have had or are having their moment. It's hard to be on top.
Old 02-01-19, 06:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You don't think if the G70 beats the 3-Series, or the 3-Series beats the G70 in a shootout that someone isn't going to gloat? We've discussed this before, inherently European cars, specifically German, already have a leg up and a head start. The badge plays a huge role in someones decision to buy a vehicle. When talking about compact/small luxury sport class, the 3-Series and C-Class are the perennial kings. Everyone will take their shot, do it well, and get their time in the limelight. The G/Q50, XE, Giulia, 3IS, A4, ATS and now the G70 have had or are having their moment. It's hard to be on top.
Interesting way you look at it, seems like you view what is on top of a segment at any particular moment, that's good. I judge the success in the sense, can a brand significantly increase their market share while at the same time, can the brand charge more or the same for their product compared to the established players. Genesis in Ontario will not discount, they want full pricing for their G70. They have also made it clear that the G70 is targeted at the BMW brand.
Old 02-01-19, 06:58 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems like every single thread there needs to be a mention about Genesis or the G70, there are too many needless threads about the Genesis brand or most specific thenG70 Yes it is impressive, however any of the A4, 3 series. IS or C class can do just as good a job if not better. They are all good.
Lol. That's because Bitkahuna is trying to get under your skin, since he's a G90 convert. You don't favor Genesis/Hyundai/Kia. He does.
Old 02-01-19, 07:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Lol. That's because Bitkahuna is trying to get under your skin, since he's a G90 convert. You don't favor Genesis/Hyundai/Kia. He does.
I am actually interested in a deeper and more balanced discussion about the Genesis brand, truthfully I would rather hear about what someone does not like about the brand vs what they do as it is the same thing over and over again. I am wondering where the information is on NFL.com as there is nothing about this partnership at the official site for NFL, however it then turns into a one side thing about the brand, and my comments have nothing to do with Bit. I don’t mind Hyundai or Kia or Genesis, I earlier said that I would never buy a Hyundai. My brother has two Hyundai’s and as I said to Bit, I am willing to look at Hyundai in a better light and with a more open mind, perhaps I might consider one some day as Toyota seems to be reluctant to offer more value as of late If Bit is posting just to get under my skin, then that is just silly.

Ps, someone at Genesis Canada paid for my auto show ticket last year, they invited me to the show on behalf of Genesis, they also gave a me unique Genesis G90 dicast model, my husband has it in his office, we don’t have any use for it. Maybe Bit can message me, and I can ship it to him as a gift.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-01-19 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 08:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I am actually interested in a deeper and more balanced discussion about the Genesis brand, truthfully I would rather hear about what someone does not like about the brand vs what they do as it is the same thing over and over again.
OK, then, There is one thing I'll fill you in on. There isn't much I actually dislike about the brand....except for one thing. Hyundai, Kia, and Genesis, all three (perhaps because of the common corporate management of all three divisions), have a policy of installing firmer suspensions on their American-spec vehicles than they do on their more cushy-riding Asian-market counterparts. Apparently, they have been influenced by much of what the American auto press writes in the never-ending quest for sharper-handling vehicles, without a whole lot of concern for ride comfort. While many of the buyers themselves in the American market actually do not think that way, the auto press has an enormous amount of influence over how vehicles are designed....almost as much, in some ways, as the government itself. In China and Korea, far removed from the American press and its influence, Kia/Hyundai/Genesis vehicles are produced with softer, Cush-Tush suspensions that ride MM style.

Ps, someone at Genesis Canada paid for my auto show ticket last year, they invited me to the show on behalf of Genesis, they also gave a me unique Genesis G90 dicast model, my husband has it in his office, we don’t have any use for it. Maybe Bit can message me, and I can ship it to him as a gift.
Saturn used to do that as one of their well-publicized customer-perks. When I owned my SL2, they would send me two free tickets to the D.C. show in the mail each year...even though it was redundant and you could get the tickets at any local new-car dealer just for the asking, including Saturn dealers. Getting a nice model like you did from Genesis is unusual, though.......that's the first time I've heard of that.

Ford and Lincoln also spend a lot of money at the D.C. show giving out pre-paid Mastercards (or charity-contributions) for dealer (and sometimes show-circuit) test-drives. I've already explained that in detail in other threads.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-01-19 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 07:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
That's because Bitkahuna is trying to get under your skin, since he's a G90 convert. You don't favor Genesis/Hyundai/Kia. He does.
Not true i’m trying to get under anyone’s skin. I posted the thread because i thought it was cool that genesis is making a big splash at the superbowl.