Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Model 3 demand Slowing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-19, 05:37 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I expect demand will be impacted somewhat by the reduction in the available tax credit from $7500 to $3750 effective January 1, 2019.

Agree. In Canada, this by far will be the biggest impact in the decline of Model 3 sales. Will wait for a few months of sales numbers to quantify this, but we lost a $14,000 credit late last year in Ontario which makes 40% of Canada's population.

I was toying with the idea of considering one but not with the missing $14K incentive as it gets way too pricey ($75-100K+ for a mid to top-range). Plus add in the increase costs of electricity at the Supercharger stations, it will be a tougher sell up here.
Old 02-01-19, 05:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I thought in the u.s. at least that tesla dropped the price half the size of the credit loss, so it’s not as bad, maybe about net 2k more?
Old 02-01-19, 06:14 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I thought in the u.s. at least that tesla dropped the price half the size of the credit loss, so it’s not as bad, maybe about net 2k more?
How dare you introduce facts into this thread? What will the anti-Tesla folks be able to say when they realize Tesla stepped up to make the final price remain within 4% (max) of what it was before?

FWIW, The net difference is a $1,750 increase compared to when the tax credits were at $7,500. On a $44k Model 3, that's a 4% difference.
Old 02-01-19, 07:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^

imo, a couple of the bigger problems about the model 3 going forward are 1) the interior, and 2) it's not an suv/cuv.

i'm no fan of the no driver gauges approach and i think a massive touch screen in the center stack for just about everything is the very definition of distracting.

about it not being an suv/cuv, i think tesla is launching a smaller ute than the x next, is that right? the 'y'?
Old 02-01-19, 07:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

but it could be crazier...

maker claims this will be out by end of this year.
https://www.gearbrain.com/byton-m-by...625300260.html

Old 02-01-19, 07:20 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Yikes. That's like having the Sunday paper in front of the driver. A lot of distraction to say the least.
Old 02-01-19, 08:02 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The auto/tech industry wants to turn automobiles into rolling billboards, advertising pods. Don't be surprised in the not too distant future you have to watch some stupid commercial on the big screen before you can put the car in drive everytime you start it up.
Old 02-01-19, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The auto/tech industry wants to turn automobiles into rolling billboards, advertising pods. Don't be surprised in the not too distant future you have to watch some stupid commercial on the big screen before you can put the car in drive everytime you start it up.
In my Lacrosse, unwanted disclaimers routinely pop up on the video-screen warning you not to take your eyes off the road (which you have to do to read the disclaimer to start with LOL), or telling you it may be cold enough for ice outside (DUH?), or that the Wi-Fi is connecting, even if you don't want it or need it while the car s moving. You often have to turn this stuff off manually, which means even more distractions.
Old 02-01-19, 09:46 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In my Lacrosse, unwanted disclaimers routinely pop up on the video-screen warning you not to take your eyes off the road (which you have to do to read the disclaimer to start with LOL), or telling you it may be cold enough for ice outside (DUH?), or that the Wi-Fi is connecting, even if you don't want it or need it while the car s moving. You often have to turn this stuff off manually, which means even more distractions.
They have to make these things for the lowest common denominator. Most people are too dumb to take ice into consideration or realize they need to watch the road.

As for the wi-fi thing, my best guess is they're assuming you might have passengers for whom the wifi would be useful. Maybe they could tap into the sensors that tell the car when the passenger seats are occupied to determine whether that message is needed.

Looking at that tesla interior above, I just think that's gaudy as hell. I prefer a normal looking dash. I need buttons and real gauges. It just looks too.....sterile and I hate hit. I am excited for the innovation that Tesla has spurred though. Making electric cars available for people who want them is a great idea. More gasoline for my truck.

Old 02-01-19, 10:46 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^

imo, a couple of the bigger problems about the model 3 going forward are 1) the interior, and 2) it's not an suv/cuv.

i'm no fan of the no driver gauges approach and i think a massive touch screen in the center stack for just about everything is the very definition of distracting.

about it not being an suv/cuv, i think tesla is launching a smaller ute than the x next, is that right? the 'y'?
Yes. So the models will be: S 3 X Y (intentional by Musk)...
Old 02-01-19, 11:00 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
How dare you introduce facts into this thread? What will the anti-Tesla folks be able to say when they realize Tesla stepped up to make the final price remain within 4% (max) of what it was before?

FWIW, The net difference is a $1,750 increase compared to when the tax credits were at $7,500. On a $44k Model 3, that's a 4% difference.
O.k. but how does that translate to real world demand? And those unsold LR vehicles on a vehicle whose primary claim to fame was affordable electric luxury sedan at 35K?
Old 02-01-19, 12:13 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
O.k. but how does that translate to real world demand? And those unsold LR vehicles on a vehicle whose primary claim to fame was affordable electric luxury sedan at 35K?
That in itself doesn't translate to real world demand in my eyes. However, someone commented here that the "lack of demand" was being driven by the $7,500 rebate being cut to $3,750. I'm saying it's a non-factor because Tesla modified the price to compensate for it. So if there is lack of demand, it isn't due to price.
Old 02-01-19, 12:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Yes. So the models will be: S 3 X Y (intentional by Musk)...
When one is a billionaire, they can be a troll lol
Old 02-01-19, 12:36 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Regarding the Model3 display, surely someone has done a study comparing such a mechanism versus conventional ***** and buttons when it comes to eyes leaving the road. If such a study hasn't been done, it would a terrific project for a young grad student.

And surely Lexus has done internal studies regarding touchscreens versus mice. I personally don't mind the mouse in my 2010RX. It may not be the ideal but I suspect it is "better" than having to touch a screen two feet in front of you while trying not to take eyes off the road. But the research would address this.
Old 02-01-19, 04:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale

And surely Lexus has done internal studies regarding touchscreens versus mice. I personally don't mind the mouse in my 2010RX. It may not be the ideal but I suspect it is "better" than having to touch a screen two feet in front of you while trying not to take eyes off the road. But the research would address this.
Touchscreen vs mouse, either or can be easy or difficult to use. All depends on the design. Land Cruiser vs LX, almost the same software, two different methods. The Tesla system is complicated for sure, can't imagine a mouse making it much easier to use.

Quick Reply: Model 3 demand Slowing?