Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Courtesy on the Road...what WE, as Drivers, can do.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-19, 09:39 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Vegas drivers are straight homicidal/suicidal these days. I'll be in the right most lane on the freeway, preparing to exit and some jackwagon will pass me ON THE SHOULDER just so they can beat me to the exit. And i'm usually doing 5+ over the limit unless traffic prevents it.

Towing a trailer on the interstate in the city is an adventure in and of itself. People cutting you off like you can stop on a dime. Speeding up to stop you from changing lanes. Sometimes I wonder if I drove into the sequel for Mad Max Fury Road
Old 02-01-19, 10:28 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
....even at the cost of damaging your own vehicle in the process?
its a joke... but when I had my crown vic I'd have considered doing it lol
Old 02-01-19, 10:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolchuck
Shoot, I've even noticed people driving/passing in the Emergency lane now during back ups on 495, MD side. So many times now when I drive I say to myself, " look at this idiot".
I remember growing up, in MASS., that was called "guttersniping," and summonses were issued for it. But that's so innocent compared what I've seen in Phila. How about exiting an expressway, and reentering, bypassing a long line of stopped traffic? Where oh where one might ask, how could that be that doesn't sound possible. How about the Schuyulkill westbound at University? Or on MacDade Blvd. people exit 476N and reenter. Police even setup a plastic barrier which people run over.

The one I never thought of, was chasing the ambulance. If it goes by on the left, and you are able to make that lane change? You could potentially save 15-30 min depending on where you're commuting to...

edit Again I say, spend a week in Cincy, or Louisville, what is their secret??!

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-01-19 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-01-19, 11:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639

its a joke... but when I had my crown vic I'd have considered doing it lol
I can't stand cop impersonation. I saw a Crown Vic with dark windows and LEDs coming up with the push bar on 295N in NJ. I let it pass and it's some guy with delaware tags and the car is actually all ratty and not a cop. The leds should be forbidden.
Old 02-01-19, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
That's my biggest pet peeve in the DC area the left lane parkers seem to be happening more often especially on 495 and when I do pass on right they look at me like I'm crazy. I saw one person in left lane on 495 in VA swerving while going slow recently it was early evening figured they were drinking when I passed on right they had phone on steering wheel looking at video or texting
Oh yeah, its bad. Its not just here either, I've noticed on highway trips people just refuse to give up the left lane, and often the right lane becomes the passing lane.

Oh and the texting, don't even get me started on that!

Many drivers, though, who do that (blow by people on the right whenever they can) often end up saving little, if any time......here's where patience comes into play. I can't count how many times I've seen impatient people do that, and then just have to brake and come to a stop at the next traffic light or stop sign. So, where has their impatience gotten them?.......they are right next to the very same car again, at the stop light, that they just HAD to pass a minute ago.
No traffic lights or stop signs on the highway. Thats not the point, its a courtesy issue. If you aren't passing other cars, you should not be in the left lane. And when someone comes up behind you, you need to move over.

People just have this entitlement about them on the roads today
Old 02-01-19, 11:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Oh yeah, its bad. Its not just here either, I've noticed on highway trips people just refuse to give up the left lane, and often the right lane becomes the passing lane.

Oh and the texting, don't even get me started on that!

No traffic lights or stop signs on the highway. Thats not the point, its a courtesy issue. If you aren't passing other cars, you should not be in the left lane. And when someone comes up behind you, you need to move over.

People just have this entitlement about them on the roads today
Hey btw we were in Rockville last weekend--the Lexus dealer is in serious need of a power wash, as is the Volvo dealer! lol

When I'm in MD, I am doing the speed limit whenever I am in a photo enforced speed cam zone. I find that locals pass me and are annoyed even if I'm in the right. I think that's because they know exactly where the physical camera is on the block, and I don't.
Old 02-01-19, 11:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Hey btw we were in Rockville last weekend--the Lexus dealer is in serious need of a power wash, as is the Volvo dealer! lol
Its been nasty dirty here lol. Next time you're in the area let me know we'll grab lunch or something!

When I'm in MD, I am doing the speed limit whenever I am in a photo enforced speed cam zone. I find that locals pass me and are annoyed even if I'm in the right. I think that's because they know exactly where the physical camera is on the block, and I don't.
You can go 12 MPH over and not get a ticket just FYI.
Old 02-01-19, 11:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't know about the whole state, but in Montgomery County near D.C., the enforced-areas are usually marked with a sign.

Old 02-01-19, 11:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its been nasty dirty here lol. Next time you're in the area let me know we'll grab lunch or something!

You can go 12 MPH over and not get a ticket just FYI.
I know but for whatever reason if I know it's a zone, I like to remain at the limit, and stay in the right lane. I figure that 12 mph will come in handy when I am not aware....thanks for the offer of lunch! Like I've said, I really like the Rockville area, it is quite nice...
Old 02-01-19, 11:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Don't know about the whole state, but in Montgomery County near D.C., the enforced-areas are usually marked with a sign.

If the fine is still $40, that is totally reasonable. I don't know what it is in Montréal and am pretty sure I am fine, but I have read $500? And there would be a sign with an icon of a camera, and vitesse. I was rusty and did not remember vitesse was speed lol Seriously I thought all signs had to have two languages, and there was only French.
Old 02-01-19, 11:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I read what you wrote. I've never seen lanes of traffic efficiently merge into the Hudson River tunnels so as not to create a bottleneck. But I'm not generally there during rush hour, so I guess seasoned B&T commuters know the drill.
It's not that the traffic is not backed up and bumper to bumper, what I mean is the traffic merges smoothly. There is no question of who is next, it's always an alternate. It rarely is in Phila. It's how is the most aggressive. Again, I have a dash cam now to back it up. At a 4-way stop in Phila., it often is the most aggressive and most lacking reggie and insurance, who goes first....
Old 02-01-19, 12:08 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

I can't stand cop impersonation. I saw a Crown Vic with dark windows and LEDs coming up with the push bar on 295N in NJ. I let it pass and it's some guy with delaware tags and the car is actually all ratty and not a cop. The leds should be forbidden.
it pisses me off too lol... that's why mine had very un-tinted windows, a few comedic bumper stickers, and a custom license plate

i wanted other drivers to know hey... i'm still on your side, i just bought this crown vic because it's a cheap pile of crap that does donuts well and allows me to preserve my other good cars and not use them when the roads are all salty
Old 02-02-19, 07:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
it pisses me off too lol... that's why mine had very un-tinted windows, a few comedic bumper stickers, and a custom license plate

i wanted other drivers to know hey... i'm still on your side, i just bought this crown vic because it's a cheap pile of crap that does donuts well and allows me to preserve my other good cars and not use them when the roads are all salty
pretty sure NYS was way ahead of the curve in banning unmarked vehicles because too many women were getting assaulted. I totally get that there is a such thing as undercover work, but pulling people over for traffic stops is not really undercover and vehicles should be marked.

At the same time I heard that Crown Vics last forever, so nothing wrong with people buying them used (or new if they really want to), just that some of the cop hardware should be removed......give me a break with all the pucks on the rear deck--you can buy fake ones, with what purpose other than to impersonate!
Old 02-03-19, 02:00 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Relevant video about the jackwagons who buy used cop cars so they can project an aura of authority

I personally wouldn't be caught dead driving a former cop car because I don't want people slowing down in front of me.
Old 02-03-19, 03:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Relevant video about the jackwagons who buy used cop cars so they can project an aura of authority

I personally wouldn't be caught dead driving a former cop car because I don't want people slowing down in front of me.
IMO, people should be following traffic laws WITHOUT the presence of either fake OR real cop cars. That's part of what's wrong on the roads....too many scofflaws who think laws don't apply to them.

Quick Reply: Courtesy on the Road...what WE, as Drivers, can do.