Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Courtesy on the Road...what WE, as Drivers, can do.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 09:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Courtesy on the Road...what WE, as Drivers, can do.

We spend a lot of time in Car Chat, and, to a lesser extent, in the Clubhouse forums, griping and complaining about what other drivers do on the road, how self-centered, inattentive, rude, inept, careless, etc....they are. And, of course, some of that complaining is justified....there are a lot of morons on the road, particularly late on Friday and Saturday nights, when many people are either drunk or stoned after too much partying.

But.....how often do we stop and think about what WE, as drivers who share the road with these people, can do, on our own, or what is in our power, to help make the roads a little better (or at least a little nicer) place? Many have heard of the Golden Rule ("Do unto others as you would want them to do for you"), yet, often, few actually practice it, especially when they are in a hurry or only thinking of themselves...as shown by the number of road-rage incidents in the news. I myself, no matter how much in a hurry I am (even though I'm retired and don't have to endure daily commuting-hassles any more, sometimes there are some places I want to get to ASAP), still try and never forget that the world doesn't revolve around me (or my car). So, if nothing else, on the road, that means using some simple common courtesy. That was something that the Boy Scouts used to teach when I was a member...Do a Good Turn Every Day.

And, IMO, on the road, one can start with these five examples....examples that I myself follow.

1. One-Eyed Vehicles.

I see a number of one-eyed cars every day with a headlight or DRL (Daytime Running Light) out.. That, of course, could be from any number of problems, from a burned-out bulb to a short in the wiring to a water-damaged socket or assembly. Sometimes the taillight will be out with it, sometimes not. If possible, given traffic-conditions, the next stop light, alignment of our two vehicles, etc...., if possible, when stopped at the light, I will try and get that driver's attention (even if they are talking on a cell-phone LOL), roll the window down, and kindly and courteously let the driver (or right front passenger) know that the light is out. In many years of doing this, I have never had anyone give me a dirty look or a rude comment. Most people are not aware of the light-failure, and are glad to know it (it may help keep them from getting stopped by a cop)....or, in some cases, they may actually be on the way to a shop get it repaired.

2. Low Tires.

In the old days, with tall-profile bias-ply tires, it was usually pretty easy to tell with a tire was low, or using air. But, with the advent of radial tires in the 1970s, with their naturally-bulging lower-sidewalls, and, even more so, the low-profile radials being used today, it is not always easy to tell, from a simple glance, if a tire is substantially below its recommended PSI or not. If it gets low enough, of course, even with a low-profile sidewall, it will start showing, but that point is usually much lower than in the old days. Newer cars, of course, have built-in PSI-monitors, but they aren't always very accurate, drivers don't always have them displayed in the dash (which is usually in the Driver-Information-Screen between the speedometer and tachometer), and they may or may not have a separate emergency-warning light or indicator when one or more tires are dangerously low. Driving on an overly-low tire, of course, can sometimes cause damage to the tire or wheel itself. So, if it is apparent to me that one of more tires on a vehicle are too low, and the driver may not have noticed it (or be noticing it), I'll do the same thing at the next stop light as I would do for a failed headlight or taillight...politely inform the driver or passenger which tire looks low. Again, I have never had anyone give me a dirty look or tell me to mind my own business...most people are appreciative and say thank-you. A few have even asked me, right there at the stoplight, where the nearest tire shop is, and, of course if I know, I'll tell them.

3. Animals on the Road.

As we, the human species, have expanded our habitat (and road construction) deeper and deeper into what has formerly been the realm of nature, we have displaced many of the creatures that used to live there in isolation, out of sight and out of mind. I'm not saying that we should not have economic progress, nor could one consider me, politically, an extreme Animal-Rights person (I do eat poultry and seafood, and own some leather goods). But its clear that, with development, the poor wildlife has clearly been among the victims. The number of dead birds, chipmunks, squirrels, armadillos, foxes, raccoons, dogs, cats, and even deer and elk on the roads proves that. Not only is this a significant loss (or injury) of animal life, but, of course, impact with a larger animal, like a deer, can do serious damage to both a vehicle and its occupants. In general, I like the bumper sticker that says "Warning....I Brake for Animals"....because, whenever possible, I DO brake for animals.The poor things are often just trying to find food for themselves or their young, and, on the road, find themselves in an environment that they just don't know how to deal with, that nature has never equipped them for. Of course, sometimes, an impact is unavoidable...I've hit a squirrel once or twice, and a couple of birds, because no matter what I did with my brake or steering wheel, the creature reacted the opposite, or darted back and forth in several directions at once (squirrels are notorious for that). It, of course, made me feel bad.....but under the circumstances, there's not much I could have done about it, either....just one of those things that happened.

4. Someone looking for an Address.

if a driver in front of you seems to be going a lot slower than the speed limit, especially with brake-lights going on and off regularly and/or on a side-street, it's a good bet that he or she is looking for an address, especially if the vehicle has an out-of-state license plate or there indications (like a dealer-identification) that the vehicle is from elsewhere in the state, and/or is simply not familiar with the street or neighborhood. Before you get angry, honk the horn, yell something, flip a Bronx Salute (middle finger) or do any one of a number of other things that rude and inconsiderate drivers sometimes do, just stop and try to put yourself in that driver's place, in a new strange environment....or maybe as a first-time student driver. You might just learn a little patience, consideration, and tolerance for others.

5. Emergency Vehicles.

This one should perhaps go without saying, but there are (or seem to be) a surprising number of drivers that apparently don't know what a red, yellow, or blue-flashing light (or a siren) on a vehicle is for. If you see or hear a fire/rescue vehicle, police-vehicle, or public-service/utility vehicle, with flashing lights and/or siren on, if at all possible, slow down and/or move to the side at the first possible opportunity. Police will very rarely, if ever, ticket a driver for doing something like pulling into a DO NOT ENTER street or other area that would normally be off-limits if they are genuinely doing so to make way for an emergency vehicle....the law mandating making room for emergency vehicles supersedes other laws like that. Of course, bumper-to-bumper traffic, particularly in gridlock or traffic-jams, can make it extremely difficult for both emergency vehicles to get somewhere and for vehicles in the way to get out of the way. But, still, the more vehicles that CAN get out of the way, sooner, even in tough conditions like that, the better off it will be for those in whatever emergency situation is represented there.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-30-19 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-30-19, 06:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I follow the most important golden rule / courtesy in so-cal. If I see a car catching up to me in the left lane, I move over to the right. It doesn't matter if I am driving the limit or 20 over. I move over so they can pass and go along their merry way. Who I am to get in the way if they are in a hurry.
Old 01-30-19, 06:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Just an observation as I travel for work. I can spend a week in KY/Cincinnati, and will encounter ZERO incidents as far as aggressive driving goes. Same as Indy.

One cannot have the same expectation in Boston, DC/VA, which I find to be the most aggressive. Correct me if I'm wrong but VA supposedly has targeted enforcement.

NYC is an example of a well-oiled machine. Lincoln Tunnel 12 lanes into 3, Holland Tunnel 9 lanes into 2, and it does not stop nor is there a single case of a vehicle not alternate merging.

Seattle and Vancouver surprisingly aggressive. I could go on and on. So imho, one has to respond to the environment. On 676 and 76W in Phila yesterday I had a old guy in a new S550 tailgating me all the way on the Vine and Schuylkill all the way right to my exit (when I saw them his headlights looked really cheap--maybe the car now has nice headlamps optional?). He ran multiple stop lights as well to be able to do that. If I were 18 I may not have simply lived with it.

The burned out lamps, as a GM owner, it's not that simple, sockets and harnesses are often overheated, and it's a known issue from 1994 to 2012, by GM, so not sure how anyone can expect GM vehicles to have 2 DRLs at all time!

But we all get it, being nice to others is generally a good thing. Just do it and don't expect anything in return as your motivation.

p.s. it's very refreshing to drive in Indy or Cincinnati.
Old 01-30-19, 07:14 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I noticed a big change in driver behaviour when I moved from Winnipeg to Calgary. Calgary drivers are almost too easygoing, but they make great use of merge lanes and use them properly. Winnipeg drivers, on the other hand, are way too aggressive, and in most cases will ride the bumper of the car in front of them to prevent a merging car to get in front. Very passive aggressive and petty.

After living in Calgary for a few years my driving habits have "normalized" a bit. When I was younger and came across a car that brake-checked me, I'd be much more inclined to react in a similar, childish manner. Now its like water off a duck's back. I think that's the best thing we can do as drivers when we encounter road rage. Just back off and ignore.

Along with MM's tips, I would add that small, friendly driver interactions help my commutes to and from work. Whenever someone actively lets me into their lane or lets me into traffic from a parking lot, I always give them a little wave or flash my hazard lights a couple of times to say thanks. A little courtesy goes a long way
Old 01-30-19, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
One cannot have the same expectation in Boston, DC/VA, which I find to be the most aggressive.
The biggest traffic problem in the D.C. area is just the sheer numbers of vehicles on the road...it is insane, along wth many NIMBY neighborhoods that (successfully) get restrictions or preventions to traffic in their neighborhoods, so much of the traffic is overly-concentrated on just a few main roads. It is not the most populated area in the country if you look at places like NYC or Los Angeles (though it is getting there)....but, partly because of the affluence, lack of widespread public-transit, and steady recession-resistant economy, millions of people in this area have, and depend on vehicles (often new ones). The traffic-gridlock here, in general, though it depends on what specific study you have, is probably second only to the Southern California area.

NYC is an example of a well-oiled machine. Lincoln Tunnel 12 lanes into 3, Holland Tunnel 9 lanes into 2, and it does not stop nor is there a single case of a vehicle not alternate merging.
Last time I was in Manhattan, the impression I got was that there really weren't that many private cars there....it was basically a sea of taxis, buses, and much of the jam-packed population (apparently) taking the subway to get around. Prices in Manhattan are insane...it probably just costs too much to try and drive or park there with those prices and real wth the traffic gridlock.

Seattle and Vancouver surprisingly aggressive. I could go on and on. So imho, one has to respond to the environment. On 676 and 76W in Phila yesterday I had a old guy in a new S550 tailgating me all the way on the Vine and Schuylkill all the way right to my exit (when I saw them his headlights looked really cheap--maybe the car now has nice headlamps optional?). He ran multiple stop lights as well to be able to do that. If I were 18 I may not have simply lived with it.
Yes.....I can't speak for everyone in Seattle, but, from what I've heard, it has an Always-in-a Rush lifestyle like here in the D.C. area, where many people and drivers have little patience.

Just for the record, though I have not been everywhere in the U.S., probably the most aggressive drivers (especially with the BMW 3-series) I personally have seen were actually not very far from where you live......on the NJ Turnpike.

The burned out lamps, as a GM owner, it's not that simple, sockets and harnesses are often overheated, and it's a known issue from 1994 to 2012, by GM, so not sure how anyone can expect GM vehicles to have 2 DRLs at all time!
I had a 2012 Buick Verano for five years, and never burnt out a bulb or socket. Of course, aside from the Ecotec drivetrain and Buick Quiet-Tuning sound insulation, that was not a true GM product, but a rebadged German Opel.

But we all get it, being nice to others is generally a good thing. Just do it and don't expect anything in return as your motivation
You'll get plenty in return....a sense of satisfaction in knowing you did the right thing, helping (maybe) to save someone's life by making it easier for emergency vehicles to get from them, by showing kindness to helpless animals that cannot thank you in return, by tolerating the faults of others, making it less-likely that you yourself will be the object of a road-rager, and, by whatever you want to call it (God, Karma, or return-luck), others with good intentions doing the same thing to you some day when you need it.

Just an observation as I travel for work. I can spend a week in KY/Cincinnati, and will encounter ZERO incidents as far as aggressive driving goes. Same as Indy.

p.s. it's very refreshing to drive in Indy or Cincinnati.
Yes, Cincinnati is a nice area. My late mother's side of the family is from Cincinnati, and my late father's not far from Indy...in southern Indiana.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-30-19 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-30-19, 07:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

haha on the thank you wave like I've mentioned on Yonge in Toronto. Last Feb. we allowed people to turn left across us when traffic was backed up. 100% rate at which the drivers waved.

Here in Phila. I would have to say it's odd. < 50% wave back, but some people oddly screech to a halt, to let others turn left across them. That's not proper imho it should happen where traffic would come to a normal stop. Also, so many people here will not take the left on red, which is annoying. I am not even a native and I've been doing it since I got here in 1999. I actually figured it out, I would be on a one way street, and then there is a no turn on red sign. Yet, the street that is intersecting is one way, and only goes from my right to my left. So I concluded, ok, so PA is like NYS, where you can do that, unless there is a sign. Be aware of your motor vehicle code would be another rule imho. You can't say well I learned to drive 20 years ago, I can't be expected to know the laws anymore lol
Old 01-30-19, 07:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

haha on the thank you wave like I've mentioned on Yonge in Toronto. Last Feb. we allowed people to turn left across us when traffic was backed up. 100% rate at which the drivers waved.

Here in Phila. I would have to say it's odd. < 50% wave back, but some people oddly screech to a halt, to let others turn left across them. That's not proper imho it should happen where traffic would come to a normal stop. Also, so many people here will not take the left on red, which is annoying. I am not even a native and I've been doing it since I got here in 1999. I actually figured it out, I would be on a one way street, and then there is a no turn on red sign. Yet, the street that is intersecting is one way, and only goes from my right to my left. So I concluded, ok, so PA is like NYS, where you can do that, unless there is a sign. Be aware of your motor vehicle code would be another rule imho. You can't say well I learned to drive 20 years ago, I can't be expected to know the laws anymore lol
You have a legal left-turn-on-red in Philly? I wasn't aware of that. That's outlawed in most of this area...although we do have right-on-red unless it is specifically banned by a sign. Few people, though, actually stop before turning, as the laws mandate.. Most simply slow down and proceed...some don't even do that (which can be risky). I usually either come to a complete stop, or, in some cases, admit that I'll cheat a little by just slowing to a few MPH and then turning.

I get angry when I see drivers just barrel through right-turn-on-red situations without even appreciably slowing down...but, in the spirit of the thread-topic, remember my own preaching, and just go on with my business.
Old 01-30-19, 08:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Believe it or not, I find that I let more go, now that I have a dash cam. The notion is that what someone else did or did not do has been permanently recorded (well until it gets rewritten), so it wasn't anonymous. It used to annoy me when I would see vehicles go over the double yellow and completely blow a red light camera intersection. I thought, it can't be that easy? There's a tendency for people to be in disbelief, so I'll dime out the location: Phila. 34th & Grays Ferry (traveling north on S 34th St, making a left onto Grays Ferry). Now I just say hey if there is ever an accident it's on my dash cam, which today is only 1080p. One day it will be 4K, and on and on. I don't have a rear setup but I have 2 NIB cams, just too lazy to setup. I would like to have that say for the S550 that tailed me yesterday, although it was raining. Not 100%, but imagine that in Cincinnati or Louisville the cam would capture almost nothing interesting!
Old 01-30-19, 10:07 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Believe it or not, I find that I let more go, now that I have a dash cam. The notion is that what someone else did or did not do has been permanently recorded (well until it gets rewritten), so it wasn't anonymous. It used to annoy me when I would see vehicles go over the double yellow and completely blow a red light camera intersection. I thought, it can't be that easy? There's a tendency for people to be in disbelief, so I'll dime out the location: Phila. 34th & Grays Ferry (traveling north on S 34th St, making a left onto Grays Ferry). Now I just say hey if there is ever an accident it's on my dash cam, which today is only 1080p. One day it will be 4K, and on and on. I don't have a rear setup but I have 2 NIB cams, just too lazy to setup. I would like to have that say for the S550 that tailed me yesterday, although it was raining. Not 100%, but imagine that in Cincinnati or Louisville the cam would capture almost nothing interesting!
I agree! I've had a front and rear cam installed and running for a while now and it is much easier to let things go when I know that they've been captured on camera.

Fun story, someone sideswiped me in traffic a few months ago and attempted to flee the scene, and in the heat of the moment I attempted to catch up to them to get them to stop. Almost immediately I realized that I had everything on dashcam, so once I read the license plate out loud I let it go and went to the police. It turned out that the vehicle was stolen, and if I didn't have the video footage I likely would have had to foot the bill for my deductible.
Old 01-30-19, 10:59 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

My big thing is if you see somebody trying to get into your lane, please let them.

And if somebody is coming up behind you and you're in the left lane, move to the right. I don't want to hear "But i'm going the speed limit and so can you". Get. over.

If I'm being tailgated, I will reach down to my trailer brake controller and hit the manual switch on it(unless I'm ACTUALLY pulling a trailer). It lights up my brake lights without actually having to slow down(and risk getting rear ended).
Old 01-30-19, 12:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When are you using these tunnels? I have NEVER seen this.

Old 01-30-19, 12:15 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You have a legal left-turn-on-red in Philly?
From a one-way street onto another one-way street, sure. Otherwise, of course not.
Old 01-30-19, 12:44 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I went out at lunch, and got cut off once, and was given a gesture the other. The cut off was a Chevy Silverado. The gesture was an elderly woman in an ES. The left arrow goes green, nothing. 5 sec later I tap my horn politely. Nothing. Another 10 sec., I tap it again, and she gives me a gesture, and pulls out hard. Honestly, for whatever reason, having a dash cam makes me not upset. If you said, I"ll bet you $1000 you're making it up. I could post it. I think it's more funny than maddening. Try it. Maybe someone else will find that having a cam helps to soothe things.
Old 01-30-19, 12:48 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
When are you using these tunnels? I have NEVER seen this.
You've never seen traffic flowing 12 into 3, or 9 into 2, without stopping? Or did you think I said Ben Franklin? That's where the car behind, is suddenly trying to merge in front. I will never understand that about Phila no matter how long I live here. But again, it's all on my cam so if anything happens no he said/she said...

edit: during rush hour. At other times I've actually experienced near bumper to bumper, but I'm talking about when it's packed. Nobody in NYC atttempts to not alternate merge simply because of the road design, and knowing that's what's gonna get everyone there the fastest. How about the Vine St to 76W, people routinely try to go first based on aggression, not position.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-30-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-30-19, 12:54 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
My big thing is if you see somebody trying to get into your lane, please let them.

And if somebody is coming up behind you and you're in the left lane, move to the right. I don't want to hear "But i'm going the speed limit and so can you". Get. over.

If I'm being tailgated, I will reach down to my trailer brake controller and hit the manual switch on it(unless I'm ACTUALLY pulling a trailer). It lights up my brake lights without actually having to slow down(and risk getting rear ended).
haha you made me think of an episode of "CHiPs" where this guy welded some plates to the bottom of his Impala coupe? He flips a switch and then the car lowers and the plate causes sparks to fly in the face of the driver who is tailgating, causing him to crash and flip over. Oh wait, that's not along the spirit of the golden rule...ooops!

Quick Reply: Courtesy on the Road...what WE, as Drivers, can do.