Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

korean and japanese cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 07:48 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 616 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Yegor12
I'm sorry but for some reason I feel that if the quality of Koreans improves, sales of the Japanese can be worse, because Koreans are of high quality and cheap
I believe that from the rise in the quality of Korean cars, Japanese quality will deteriorate and sales will also be less
^^This is why I'm confused with your whole thread.

On one hand, the improved quality of Kia/Hyundai may take away a few sales of Japanese vehicles, it will have no impact on the quality of vehicle they put out. It also may impact American brands more than Japanese. Then again, most people on this forum, will still not even consider a Kia/Hyundai due to past reputations.

How does this personally impact you either way?
Old 01-23-19, 07:50 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally do not like it does not affect but I am a strong fan of the Japanese car industry
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Well, even if Honda has a lot of competition with gearboxes, the same problems remain
Then it's up to them to fix the problems which I'm sure they are attempting to do. The rest of the market won't wait for them.
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Well, even if Honda has a lot of competition with gearboxes, the same problems remain
Actually Honda's transmission issues have improved.
Old 01-23-19, 07:55 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

Well, judging by the consumer reports acura rating and Honda also remain worse in reliability even than the BMW Toyota Audi Subaru
Honda takes 15 place Akura takes 13
Old 01-23-19, 01:26 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hello, Yegor. Welcome to CL, and Car Chat.

Yes, they have in some ways....but not in everything. In my humble opinion (and I look at a lot of new vehicles)...the Koreans have not only caught up to, but in many cases, surpassed the Japanese in things like the solidness of interior materials, body sheet metal, solid door/hood/trunk-closings, smoothness of paint-jobs, and the general sense in how well, and how tightly, the vehicle is bolted together at the factory. Kia has come fairly close to the top in general reliability a couple of times, and Genesis leads in some categories of Owner Satisfaction. But, in general, as they have for decades, Toyota and Lexus still seem to be the most reliable brands in the long run. Outside of long-term reliability, though, I am currently more impressed with the Koreans than the Japanese.
As a press fleet test driver for Kia, Hyundai, & Toyota the last 2 years I agree with everything you said.
Old 01-23-19, 01:36 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Kia and Hyundai selling well won't hurt Japanese reliability. If anything it keeps the pressure on Japanese automakers to continue offering a good product. That's how the market works.

Remember in the early-mid 2000's when American vehicles were suffering from reliability issues and poor fuel economy? They almost went bankrupt(well, 2 of them did), and part of that was because the Japanese automakers offered an alternative that was reliable and efficient. This put pressure on the Big 3 to start offering fuel efficient vehicles that were more reliable.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that my friend has a 2012 Hyundai Sonata that has recently been experiencing engine issues. Turns out there was some defect during manufacturing that left shavings in the engine. He needs a replacement. Hyundai extended the warranty out to 10 years and 120K miles specifically for this issue and is giving him an all new engine for free and providing him with a rental in the meantime. Sometimes cars have issues. If the automaker steps up and handles those issues, that makes all the difference.

Old 01-23-19, 03:47 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you all very much for your answers, but I’ll repeat once again as I’m a fan of the Japanese car industry, I’ll still worry because Koreans are serious competitors for the US market, but Koreans don’t compete with Japan because they are banned because of bad sales. that the Japanese will not lose quality as the US market is the main market for the Japanese, although in the Chinese market, Toyota and Honda sell well, unlike Kia Hyundai.
Not understanding how being a "fan" of Japanese cars causes one to "worry" about Korean cars. So what if Korean cars get better? It's not going to make another country's cars decline, or cause any particular car company to fail. I don't get it?
Old 01-23-19, 09:49 PM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

I'm not worried about Korean cars, but I'm worried about Japanese cars, so I feel that Koreans are getting better in quality and worried about Japanese cars
Old 01-24-19, 01:19 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

This is a bizarre thread. If legit, just don't worry. It's not worth it. There are plenty of reliable cars out there to suite anybody's needs. Life will go on.
One thing about Kia/Hyundai.... they have gained a lot of ground, but they also like to burn. They rate highest in car fires. That says something. I'm still not fully convinced they are as solid as the Japanese makes, especially to Toyota/Lexus.
Old 01-24-19, 05:52 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 616 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
One thing about Kia/Hyundai.... they have gained a lot of ground, but they also like to burn. They rate highest in car fires. That says something.
Where did you get this info? I ran a search and here are a couple results I got:

https://www.hotcars.com/20-cars-with...ching-on-fire/
https://www.theclever.com/20-dangero...us-combustion/

I saw one Kia on the second list at number 9, but that's it. Exotic cars seem to be the worst.

Old 01-24-19, 06:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel that Koreans are getting better in quality and worried about Japanese cars
So what? You still haven't explained what this means. How does any other car getting better make you worry about Japanese vehicles?
Old 01-24-19, 06:49 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

I'm worried because the Koreans will be cheaper technologically than the Lexus and for the Lexus it is dangerous it can fall heavily in sales, so I'm afraid
Old 01-24-19, 06:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
So what? You still haven't explained what this means. How does any other car getting better make you worry about Japanese vehicles?
I'm worried because the Koreans will be cheaper technologically than the Lexus and for the Lexus it is dangerous it can fall heavily in sales, so I'm afraid
Also, remember what Lexus did to Mercedes in the 1990s. They suddenly undercut the Germans by offering as good or better quality at a lower price, and Mercedes was forced to react sharply and cut costs. That isn't quite exactly the same with the Koreans today, but there are a number of similarities.
Old 01-24-19, 07:03 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

agree with you

Quick Reply: korean and japanese cars