Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

korean and japanese cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 09:04 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

understand, I honestly do not laugh believe me I am not lying
Old 01-22-19, 09:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I feel a little bit that this might be a troll thread. Could be wrong and could be right.
monitoring
Old 01-22-19, 10:04 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The rise in quality of the Korean makes do not necessitate a fall in Japanese quality. Just because the Koreans are getting better it doesn’t mean the Japanese are getting worse.
This. If Korean auto-makers continue to improve, Japanese auto-makers will have no choice but to improve. If Japanese quality suffers, it will not be because of Korean success. It will be because of a lack of action/innovation.

The fact that Hyundai and KIA are killing it right now is a good thing for consumers. It fosters competition and can drive innovation.
Old 01-22-19, 10:06 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Why do you care if the Korean cars are more reliable? This seems like a good thing overall. And like someone else said, what does Korean cars being more reliable have anything to do with Japanese cars getting more unreliable? They are independent of each other. Just FYI, many Japanese cars have been unreliable over the years. Go check out some Mitsubishi's.
Old 01-22-19, 10:09 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel a little bit that this might be a troll thread.
I'm with her ^.
Old 01-22-19, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I feel a little bit that this might be a troll thread. Could be wrong and could be right.

No, I don't think it is a troll....at least not an intentional one. This person is simply bringing up a question that has a lot of today's potential vehicle-buyers concerned, not only for the vehicles themselves, but what would be the better way to spend one's automotive dollars (or whatever the local currency is there in Kazakhstan). It is only common courtesy, on our part, to welcome a new member, and, as vehicle-buffs, give him or her our honest opinions.
Old 01-22-19, 04:19 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think he's a troll. I just think there might be some language/cultural differences is all.

I personally think Toyota has slipped a little in reliability. Honda has as well.

That's not to say they're unreliable, just not quite as reliable as they were in the past. It shouldn't be surprising. Companies often build a solid reputation and then let it go to their head, thinking that people will keep buying their stuff anyway, but now they can save a dollar or two.
Old 01-22-19, 08:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Having owned a Korean product, many Toyota/Lexus models over the years, and multiple American cars over the past 8 years...IMHO the Japanese have slid some, and the Koreans are on an upswing.

Hyundai and Kia have something to prove and are always trying to improve, while Toyota (and Honda) have sat on their laurels a lot. That seems to be changing in the latest set of cars I'm seeing come out of both Toyota and Honda, so we will see.

I do believe between about 2005-2015 Toyota and Honda were in decline when it came to product quality.
Old 01-22-19, 10:13 PM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all very much for your answers, but I’ll repeat once again as I’m a fan of the Japanese car industry, I’ll still worry because Koreans are serious competitors for the US market, but Koreans don’t compete with Japan because they are banned because of bad sales. that the Japanese will not lose quality as the US market is the main market for the Japanese, although in the Chinese market, Toyota and Honda sell well, unlike Kia Hyundai.
Old 01-23-19, 04:20 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Kia and Hyundai lost out in dependability to two Japanese manufacturers and beat seven. Lexus remains #1 for seven years in a row. That is called domination.
Old 01-23-19, 04:24 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I just bought the new 2019 SantaFe. Its a solid sweet car, 2.0 Turbo Ultimate. These are totally loaded for 40k with 6k off. 5/60 full and 10/100K powertrain warranty. Its just a top notch mall crawler though compared to my Grand Cherokee which is a more substantial vehicle.
Old 01-23-19, 05:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430

Kia and Hyundai lost out in dependability to two Japanese manufacturers and beat seven. Lexus remains #1 for seven years in a row. That is called domination.
Let's ask Scotty what he thinks of this chart lol

I would say it's a good thing these guys aren't running clinical trials for new drugs.

Domination?
Old 01-23-19, 05:49 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Yegor12
Thank you all very much for your answers, but I’ll repeat once again as I’m a fan of the Japanese car industry, I’ll still worry because Koreans are serious competitors for the US market, but Koreans don’t compete with Japan because they are banned because of bad sales. that the Japanese will not lose quality as the US market is the main market for the Japanese, although in the Chinese market, Toyota and Honda sell well, unlike Kia Hyundai.
Your phrasing makes it hard to understand the point you're trying to make.

Are you worried that the Korean upswing will take away from Japanese sales? Or do you think that because of a lack of sales, Japanese quality will decline?

Honda is basically off of my list now, after the transmission issues they had in the 98-02 Accord V6 and other models that shared that transmission, and the CRV's oil dilution issues.
Old 01-23-19, 05:57 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

I believe that from the rise in the quality of Korean cars, Japanese quality will deteriorate and sales will also be less
Old 01-23-19, 06:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Yegor12
I believe that from the rise in the quality of Korean cars, Japanese quality will deteriorate and sales will also be less
Just go by a Hyundai then.

Quick Reply: korean and japanese cars