Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New study reveals which cars likely to be kept 15 years or longer

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 01:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
"Fault"...or simple choice? Some people either have money to burn, or, for whatever reason, don't care if they pay full-list (or even more).
I don't think you will find many people who if given the choice between spending more and spending less will spend more for the same thing. People who are wealthy and have money typically are the most concerned with value.

A perfect example was, some years ago, when the Chrysler PT Cruiser first came out.....one of those classic retro-styled vehicles that generated a lot of hype and demand at first. As I was stopping for dinner one night at one of my favorite restaurants, a middle-aged couple pulled up in a brand-new white PT Cruiser, with temporary dealer-tags. We got into a conversation about it, and the guy told me they had just bought it that afternoon....paid several thousand dollars over list for it (I don't remember exactly how much). I asked him (politely) if it bothered him to pad the dealer-coffers that way, and he said no, not a bit. He and his wife both liked the car, had enough in the bank to give the dealer what they wanted, took the attitude that money wasn't everything, and just didn't feel like waiting for prices to come down. So, I congratulated him on his purchase, reached into my brief-bag, pulled out a bottle of You-Know-What, and handed it to him. At least it would help keep the new paint nice.
Totally different situation. He didnt overpay, he paid what given the situation at the time was what a typical deal was for that car. When we bought my wife's old Prius in 2004 we paid MSRP, which was actually a great deal as most dealers were getting $8k over MSRP. We're talking about somebody who pays more than what people typically pay for the same car. For instance, somebody that pays MSRP for a GM sedan that could have been bought for $15k under MSRP.
Old 01-09-19, 03:18 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 229 Likes on 192 Posts

Someone paid extra for a PT Cruiser?
Old 01-09-19, 03:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
LOL. Yeah it's hard to imagine, but the PT Cruiser was a phenomenon when it came out although it didn't last too long. Based on the forgettable Neon it wasn't a very good vehicle but the styling and versatility caught the attention of lot of (older) people.
Old 01-09-19, 03:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
LOL. Yeah it's hard to imagine, but the PT Cruiser was a phenomenon when it came out although it didn't last too long. Based on the forgettable Neon it wasn't a very good vehicle but the styling and versatility caught the attention of lot of (older) people.
Lol oh I know, an ex of mine had one though this was long after they were out. It was good for utility and hauling stuff.
Old 01-09-19, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes.....you have to understand the hype that it generated at the time, when it was introduced....and the demand it produced for whatever the dealers could get in stock. I don't know if you were around then, but, believe me, that hype was substantial. We saw it with a number of retro-themed vehicles, not just the PT Cruiser...the Chevrolet HHR, two-seat Ford Thunderbird, Chevy Camaro SS, and also, earlier, with the Mazda Miata, Porsche Boxster, BMW Z3, and Honda CRX. It seems difficult to imagine in this day of deals and incentives, but, when those vehicles debuted, dealerships were essentially giving them away if they went out the door at list price. A friend of mine, at the time, after ordering it, waited 13 months for delivery of his then-new 1997 Porsche Boxster....it was already more than a year old when it was delivered.
Old 01-09-19, 03:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Yes.....you have to understand the hype that it generated at the time, when it was introduced....and the demand it produced for whatever the dealers could get in stock. I don't know if you were around then, but, believe me, that hype was substantial. We saw it with a number of retro-themed vehicles, not just the PT Cruiser...the Chevrolet HHR, two-seat Ford Thunderbird, Chevy Camaro SS, and also, earlier, with the Mazda Miata, Porsche Boxster, BMW Z3, and Honda CRX. It seems difficult to imagine in this day of deals and incentives, but, when those vehicles debuted, dealerships were essentially giving them away if they went out the door at list price. A friend of mine, at the time, after ordering it, waited 13 months for delivery of his then-new 1997 Porsche Boxster....it was already more than a year old when it was delivered.
Yeah I know, it was more of a rhetorical post. I was alive and well then, albeit a teenager. The PT Cruiser wasn't totally awful, like I said an ex of mine had one and it was good for utility. It also had decent pickup for a 4 cylinder.
Old 01-09-19, 04:33 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I give Chrysler props for making a retro hatch. They certainly cashed in during the early years. Unfortunately they let it languish. The interior materials were also craptastic. The PT Cruiser's competition the Chevy HHR was also nothing to write home about.
Old 01-09-19, 04:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I give Chrysler props for making a retro hatch. They certainly cashed in during the early years. Unfortunately they let it languish. The interior materials were also craptastic. The PT Cruiser's competition the Chevy HHR was also nothing to write home about.
Never seen one up close but I liked the look. Once they dropped the 6.0 in there it got my attention, at least it had real muscle.
Old 01-09-19, 04:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Quality-wise, no, I agree, these cars were not well-built. But their retro-styling became an instant craze the moment they were introduced.
Old 01-09-19, 04:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Wait I didn't mean the HHR, I meant the hot rod looking retro truck lol.
Old 01-09-19, 04:47 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

I figured. SSR
Old 01-09-19, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The SSR, though, never had the demand that some other retro designs did. Too heavy (it was built on a truck ladder-frame), used too much fuel, too impractical wth the cabin/bed design, and too sluggish, even with a standard V8. Very few were actually built and sold. If my memory is correct, the first one went to the Chevy museum, the second to actor Tom Cruise, and not a whole lot after that. I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-09-19 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-18-19, 10:24 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Default Chevy called out for reliability claim, pulls commercial

I linked it on Post #30, but it's been taken down from YouTube

A Chevrolet ad is again causing a ruckus, but this time it's less about style than about substance. According to a report from the Detroit News, Chevy pulled a national commercial at the same time the legitimacy of the statements made in the advertisement were questioned. The spot claimed Chevrolet had better reliability than Ford, Honda and Toyota.

Chevrolet has pulled the ad but says it did so due to a new marketing direction focusing on the Silverado.

The dispute regards a new version of the "Real People, Not Actors" ad (you know the ones) titled "Chevy Surprises Competitive Owners When It Comes To Reliability." The description of the video read, "See what happens when competitive vehicle owners find out about Chevrolet reliability." It was posted to YouTube on Jan. 1, 2019, and ran on both national and local channels.

The video, which racked up tens of thousands of views and received more thumbs down than up, has since been taken down (a shell of the page can still be seen here). According to the report, the national commercial has also been removed from programming, with the local ads also coming down in following weeks.

In the video, the host brings people who are supposedly Ford, Honda and Toyota owners into a room with car-branded sheets covering numerous vehicles. The host "tricks" the owners by leading them to believe their cars are the most reliable vehicles on the road before pulling off sheets to reveal Chevrolet automobiles. The owners are surprised, with one remarking, "You had me bragging."

But the manufacturers in the video, Ford, Toyota and Honda, all pride themselves on their dependability and did not take the claims lightly. The report details that all three manufacturers reached out to Chevrolet to challenge the commercial to various degrees.

For the purposes of this commercial and these claims, Chevrolet commissioned independent research company Ipsos to conduct a survey. The details specify that reliability is defined as "the percentage of vehicle owners who reported they have not repaired or replaced any vehicle components in the past 12 months (excluding fluids, filters and those related to accident/collision)."

The survey sent out 840,979 letters to 2015 model-year vehicle owners, with time in service starting December 2014 through June 2015. Overall, Ipsos received 48,679 responses from Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Ram, Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagen and Volvo owners. Full details on the survey can be found here.

According to the Detroit News, Chevrolet is denying that their recall of the commercials has anything to do with the dispute. You can see Chevy's statement and the full report here.

In a statement to Autoblog, a Chevy spokesperson said, "Chevrolet stands by the reliability claim and the ad remains in the brand's toolbox but we have decided to take it out of the regular rotation at this time to launch new Silverado creative. We have not altered our marketing campaign because of any concerns with the accuracy of our ad content."

Chevy added, "We will not comment on conversations with other manufacturers."

In the most recent Consumer Reports brand reliability rankings, based on feedback from 640,000 vehicles owners, Honda ranked ninth, Toyota 10th, Ford 20th and Chevrolet 23rd. Beyond the matter of reliability, the Chevy Bolt and Impala did make CR's overall recommendations list of top 10 vehicles by category.
Source
Old 01-18-19, 10:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A Chevrolet ad is again causing a ruckus, but this time it's less about style than about substance.
No need for a ruckus at all. Anybody that would believe TV ads to start with would probably buy beachfront property in Kansas.
Old 01-18-19, 10:44 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

No need for a ruckus at all. Anybody that would believe TV ads to start with would probably buy beachfront property in Kansas.
Is there anything worthwhile to watch on TV these days?, LOL! We had snow last night very wet and cold. On the way to
my wife's store for morning shift, I passed 3 cars scattered on freeway looking like they played tic-tac-toe game. One small
car looked like totaled. When glanced passing by them all 3 cars did not have winter tires.

Last edited by Htony; 01-18-19 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: New study reveals which cars likely to be kept 15 years or longer