Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 RC F Track Edition Will Be Second Most Powerful Lexus Ever

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-18, 05:39 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 2020 RC F Track Edition Will Be Second Most Powerful Lexus Ever

2020 RC F Track Edition Will Be Second Most Powerful Lexus Ever
By Jakob Hansen

What does Lexus have in store for us at the Detroit Auto Show?

Old 12-21-18, 10:20 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Great - this will be limited to 100 units and cost over $100k.
Lexus will parade it around all the auto shows and says look at this “we do build real sports cars!”
I assume they will be sitting on dealer lots for at least 2 years......
Old 12-21-18, 12:35 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Great - this will be limited to 100 units and cost over $100k.
Lexus will parade it around all the auto shows and says look at this “we do build real sports cars!”
I assume they will be sitting on dealer lots for at least 2 years......
my thoughts exactly; and they'll wonder why they don't sell.
Old 12-21-18, 12:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Waste of time and resources
Old 12-21-18, 05:29 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts

I’m excited for it! The RC-F could use more power. Even if it doesn’t sell well it’s still cool to see them do something like this.
Old 12-21-18, 08:32 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I’m excited for it! The RC-F could use more power. Even if it doesn’t sell well it’s still cool to see them do something like this.
you know its going to have only 472hp. ;(

here's hoping its something special and not just a gimmick....
Old 12-22-18, 08:42 AM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not even close to M5 or E63 power. Lexus can't expect to win with reliability alone.
Old 12-22-18, 10:28 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this car might be close to the one that did the Pikes Peak hill climb.

Old 12-23-18, 03:35 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as they follow Germans their F brand will not achieve anything much like Cadillac V and countless others that go and straight out copycat Germans. Those who want German sedan rockets will always go and buy German sedan rockets and very few will opt for the alternative. Lexus has money to sustain the F but that's not the point. Point is to make it something that's worth it and not an alternative. In other words they need to do something that Germans don't do (LFA was to an extent something like that but not quite). Instead of trying to match Germans just good enough to be considered the "same market" they need to go and see why Evo X, S2000, GT-R became so big. F brand needs to march at their own beat and completely forget about German competition except at maybe the bottom range like IS/RC. They need stand alone F models and not variations of volume production models.
Old 12-23-18, 07:19 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

^
Thats all well and good but F brand is a disaster at this point.

All F cars use same V8 engine and 8speed auto. This engine originally was used in the ISF 10years ago.
Not only that but they now put it in a non-F car, the LC500 which makes it even less special.
Then you have all the Fsport trims on everything from RX to new ES. Most people don’t even know what is a true F car.

We can only dream that Lexus follow the Germans lol - at this point they are truly lost in the forest.
Old 12-23-18, 08:00 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I couldn’t agree more RNM GS3.
Old 12-24-18, 03:44 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^

All F cars use same V8 engine and 8speed auto. This engine originally was used in the ISF 10years ago.
Not only that but they now put it in a non-F car, the LC500 which makes it even less special.
Then you have all the Fsport trims on everything from RX to new ES. Most people don’t even know what is a true F car.

We can only dream that Lexus follow the Germans lol - at this point they are truly lost in the forest.
I agree it's a lost cause so far. They don't have technology to compete with current low end German offers let alone new M5.
Old 12-24-18, 07:38 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^

These are big reasons why I went to AMG.
Old 12-25-18, 12:00 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 245 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
These are big reasons why I went to AMG.
exactly... i wish there was a lexus model identical to the E55, toyota ownership is generally less irritating and costly and i'd rather own one over a mercedes... i also don't really care about "the prestige" although i'll admit it's kinda cool to look out at the star on the hood, and to see AMG at the bottom of one gauge and V8 Kompressor in the other

but, afaik there's only one perfectly proportioned sedan the size of a camry with a 5.4 liter supercharged 500hp V8 and has generally good reliability that can be bought for under $15k or even $10k
Old 12-27-18, 11:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
As long as they follow Germans their F brand will not achieve anything much like Cadillac V and countless others that go and straight out copycat Germans. Those who want German sedan rockets will always go and buy German sedan rockets and very few will opt for the alternative. Lexus has money to sustain the F but that's not the point. Point is to make it something that's worth it and not an alternative. In other words they need to do something that Germans don't do (LFA was to an extent something like that but not quite). Instead of trying to match Germans just good enough to be considered the "same market" they need to go and see why Evo X, S2000, GT-R became so big. F brand needs to march at their own beat and completely forget about German competition except at maybe the bottom range like IS/RC. They need stand alone F models and not variations of volume production models.
isnt that what they are doing right now, being unique with V8 engine?

Most people who are complaining about F cars not being twin turbo 600+ hp monsters will also complain when twin turbo 600+ hp monster arrives, they will just shift to some other reason.

How in the world do you design unique car that can sell 1000 copies per year? You want Lexus to build Lambo's for 80k?

Quick Reply: 2020 RC F Track Edition Will Be Second Most Powerful Lexus Ever