Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WIRED article slams Musk at Tesla

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 05:06 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default WIRED article slams Musk at Tesla

Elon Musk is smart and hard-working. He is also, apparently, a first-class jerk and is unstable, bordering on dangerous. Huge senior management defections in the past year.

Those were my impressions after reading a lengthy article on the current WIRED website.

Perhaps one needs to be a "jerk" to accomplish great things. Articles about Jobs say that he was downright cruel to his daughter Lisa and her mother. But I don't think having that as a permanent legacy would be a good thing, regardless of business success.

https://www.wired.com/story/elon-mus...e-gigafactory/
Old 12-13-18, 05:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Summary? I'm not reading all that the article is almost 10,000 words.
Old 12-13-18, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
Elon Musk is smart and hard-working. He is also, apparently, a first-class jerk and is unstable, bordering on dangerous. Huge senior management defections in the past year.
I read part of it (like Lexus2000, didn't have time for the whole thing). Warning...there are some strong four-letter words.

His management style seems to be much like that of the former VW/Audi CEO Ferdinand Piech, except that Piech governed with a quieter, more discreet abuse and intimidation....Musk blows it out in the open.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-13-18 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 10:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,637 Posts

musk reminds me of steve jobs in many ways... i think sleep deprivation is a huge part of the problem for guys like this...
Old 12-14-18, 12:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
musk reminds me of steve jobs in many ways... i think sleep deprivation is a huge part of the problem for guys like this...
Same, but I have more respect for Musk because he is using his genius to try and improve the planet on a grand scale. Jobs confined himself to tech gadgets.
Old 12-14-18, 01:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Same, but I have more respect for Musk because he is using his genius to try and improve the planet on a grand scale. Jobs confined himself to tech gadgets.
I'd say Jobs also did his part for the planet. Designing ultra-reliable PCs like the MacBook (I have one, and just love it) that last for many years without the need to junk or recycle them doesn't do the planet or landfills any harm.
Old 12-14-18, 01:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Apple products have become complete junk, sorry to say. They are poorly designed, unreliable, nearly impossible to repair. Apple refuses to sell anyone replacement parts and will sue anyone that tries to get them. Also I would say Apple products have the shortest life of just about anything you can buy for example the battery is high density but has a very limited recharge life cycle. 3 years and most iPhone's are scrapped this is by design.

Steve Jobs would be ashamed of what Apple has become, they are basically what Microsoft used to be when they had more market power. But worse, and Jobs hated Microsoft. Remember this TV spot? Apple has become exactly the thing they once fought against, could not be more ironic.

Old 12-14-18, 02:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Apple products have become complete junk, sorry to say. They are poorly designed, unreliable, nearly impossible to repair. Apple refuses to sell anyone replacement parts and will sue anyone that tries to get them. Also I would say Apple products have the shortest life of just about anything you can buy for example the battery is high density but has a very limited recharge life cycle. 3 years and most iPhone's are scrapped this is by design.

Steve Jobs would be ashamed of what Apple has become, they are basically what Microsoft used to be when they had more market power. But worse, and Jobs hated Microsoft. Remember this TV spot? Apple has become exactly the thing they once fought against, could not be more ironic.
That sure hasn't been my experience with Apple products....particularly my MacBook Air, which has been like a gem from Day One, almost six years ago. And you guys know, just from the sheer number of posts I make, just how much I use it LOL.

My brother works at a high-tech firm that handles Government contracts......almost everything they do is on a keyboard. He tells me that most of the engineers and people in the firm with PHDs have Apple PCs at home as their personal computers. They can't afford to waste time at home dealing with unreliable stuff.

Don't want to derail the thread too much, though....we were talking about Musk. .
Old 12-14-18, 08:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Musk isn't the only CEO on a reckless power trip.

https://gizmodo.com/the-deadly-reckl...str-1831027948

Last edited by Och; 12-14-18 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good article. Hard to refute it.....although it is actually focused more on the dangerous limitations of self-driving vehicles than on CEOs per se.