Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which Car Should I Buy? Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 10:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
I agree with most of your posts and appreciate your commentary, but I also do my homework before I post. Young women are the massive majority of small SUV/crossover buyers.

Quote: “According to MaritzCX, a customer-experience software and research company, in the last five years, small sport-utility vehicle sales to women increased 34%, compared to a 22% increase for men.
A 12% difference between the two (male and female), IMO, is not very significant. and does not paint a feminine picture of small SUVs. You are free to disagree with me, but I just don't see it that way.

I agree with most of your posts and appreciate your commentary
Thank you....and I appreciate the fact that, unlike some other posters, you are always civil. One can disagree without a bunch of "LOLs," "You don't know what you're talking about", "Are you sticking to that idiotic story", etc..... Replies like that don't do the forum any good.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-14-18 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 11:00 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
That study demonstrates an increase but what was the 2017 or 2018 total market buyer percentages male vs female? Just curious if you ran across that in doing your homework... don't know the answer myself but think that would be a far more accurate detail than the stats quoted above
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mar...3-DF0B1AAE888F

I will keep a look of for actual percentage of female vs male by vehicle.
Old 12-14-18, 11:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mar...3-DF0B1AAE888F

I will keep a look of for actual percentage of female vs male by vehicle.
Didn't see the number in that article either. Just curious of the actual number because as quoted in that article those increase statistics could be very misleading (example, could be increasing from 5% buyers to 16%)
I googled earlier as well and didn't see it available easily.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-14-18 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 07:15 PM
HurryUpBuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi A6 and BMW X5 seem like the only non-Lexus cars I would consider. Realistically, how are they for reliability and on-going maintenance?
Old 12-14-18, 08:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

The 3rd generation RAV4 V6 is a rocket compared to most SUVs especially at its original price point. Good reliable car although the interior is a bit cheap looking and it has the swing out tail gate.
Old 12-14-18, 09:50 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The 3rd generation RAV4 V6 is a rocket compared to most SUVs especially at its original price point. Good reliable car although the interior is a bit cheap looking and it has the swing out tail gate.
No kidding, when I was younger, my buddy had one. They were quick! We would regularly beat cars light to light in the RAV4.
Old 12-14-18, 10:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

No kidding, when I was younger, my buddy had one. They were quick! We would regularly beat cars light to light in the RAV4.
Family member has one fun as heck to drive and gets decent mileage as well I would like to own it if I was into SUVs.
Old 12-15-18, 06:13 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For where you live in Massachusetts and its severe winters, if you are going to look at a potential daily driver (even if it is only a weekend or fun car for now), I'd recommend AWD, or FWD at the least. A good AWD sedan with some kick, that is also reasonably reliable (the turbo engine has not has as many head-gasket problems as the non-turbo versions) is the Subaru Legacy GT. They stopped selling it in the American market several years ago, but you might be able to find a used one, though it might take some hunting. Subaru does what is arguably the best AWD system on the market. Keep in mind, though, that any high-performance car, especially if owned by a younger person, is likely to have been driven hard.
Also keep in mind that after 2009, the GT was sold with a manual transmission only. You can get automatic on the models from 2005 to 2009, but a few were prone to banjo bolt filter clogs, that cut off oil to the turbo. I had 141k miles on mine when I sold it, with new such issue, but be warned.

One recommendation that I have is to consider the dealer loaner car if you can find one. We stumbled upon my wife's Outback with 5,000 miles on it and it cost $12k lower than the brand new model. The car is fully loaded and came with a 100k mile warranty. Just a thought.