Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: nsx or s2k??
acura nsx
76.81%
honda s2000
23.19%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

buying a acura nsx or honda s2k??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-06, 12:20 AM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a acura nsx or honda s2k??

want to buy a sporty 2 seater car. i was thinking getting a newer s2000 or a used 91-93 nsx. just wanna see some thoughts of which car you guys would go with?? i kinda lke the nsx more for its classic styling, but the s2k is also pretty nice little car. any pros and cons with either car? any input is appreciated, thanks
Old 12-31-06, 12:43 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think both are great cars. I would be happy to own either. I personally would choose the NSX if I could only have one or the other. I just loved driving the NSX. The car is so drivable as a daily driver (If you don't need a lot of passenger room), but can still be a beast when you want it to (Even today with all the high HP cars). The feel of the mid engine chassis is just amazing IMHO. I recently sold my NSX to my brother, but I really miss it already. I miss it so much that I;m now trying to save up some money so I can buy another one maybe in a year. Maintenance when I had the NSX was not much more than any typical V6 motor Acura like the RL. Insurance was only about $1050/year though State Farm for me. For comparison, my old 94 Civic with the same coverage was about $950//year, and my wifes RX330 is about $1400/year.
Old 12-31-06, 02:48 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

CK6Speed- Are you over 25?
I've been thinking about selling my RX-7 and getting a s2000 alot latley. The thing about the S2000 is the engine can't handel boost. IDK what your plans are for it but just thought I would let you know that. My friend blew 2 stock engines running an 8PSI turbo making 338whp. He finally got a built engine and is now making 546whp. They can be fun cars, no doubt. I heard that insurence is kinda high though.
The NSX is another awsome car. They had a 92 at a dealership right by my house with FOOSE rims on it and only asking 19,999. Decent milage but an auto. I would love one of these too. From reseach I did on them a while ago I found out that a simple fender bender could actully total the car if hit in the right spot. I forgot what type of frame they have but I know that its easy to bend, very light weight. I'm sure insurence would be about the same.
Overall I say get which ever you can get at the time you wont one or get the better deal of the 2.
Why not consider a RX-7 or Supra since you want a sporty 2 seater?
Old 12-31-06, 08:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I would get an NSX over an S2000. However, I have to agree that there are other options. I like the RX7 a lot along with the Supra. A friend of mine had a 93 RX7 down here before he went back to the states and it was a superb vehicle for the $$$.
Old 12-31-06, 11:16 AM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

either car i would keep the mods simple. just going to use it as a weekend car. i just sold my fd 1yr ago. it was a nice car, wouldn't mind having another one in the future. insurance shouldnt be too bad since it will be my secondary ride.
Old 12-31-06, 12:08 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

The NSX is obviously in a diff league, but I'd have to go with an S2k over the old NSX's due to their age and outdated traits. If you can swing a 6-spd NSX, then go for that. The S2k is a blast to drive, and 300 whp is easy and reliable via a supercharger.
Old 12-31-06, 12:26 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by replica
The NSX is obviously in a diff league, but I'd have to go with an S2k over the old NSX's due to their age and outdated traits. If you can swing a 6-spd NSX, then go for that. The S2k is a blast to drive, and 300 whp is easy and reliable via a supercharger.
Very true about the supercharger. Its more expensive then the turbo though. Comptech makes extremly nice products that come with a great rep but they are expensive.
Really no matter which car you go with I would recomend Comptech for any mods.
Old 12-31-06, 12:27 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Just go out and drive both of them. You will either get hooked on both, one or the other, or none. I know a guy that has 2 near 1000HP Supra's that just bought an 03 NSX and loves it. My friend, who sold me my NSX bought an 04 S2000, and now has another 05 NSX. I know a lot of people who sold their NSX's and then bought another one. I'm in that same boat. I sold mine and now want another one. There is just something about that car. I would step up and buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini over an NSX in a heartbeat if I could afford one. Otherwise for the price range it is hard to beat. Like many will say, the S2000 and NSX is a sum of all its parts. Cars can handle as well or better, cars can be faster, cars may look better, but put it all together and the drive you get is unreal. It is one of those type of cars you either love it and have to have it or you just move on.

I have a friend that has a custom modified FactorX twin turbo NSX putting down over 500HP to the wheels. The car is a beast. It is an easy 11 second car and if he can get some traction and easy 10 second car. Another has the simple bolt on Comptech SC that puts down around 320 HP and is generally good for low 12's. Another has the Basche Boost SC (Now sure how much power he is making but typical used to be around 340). Another friend has the simple I/H/E on his 94 and the car flies.
Old 12-31-06, 12:29 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
CK6Speed- Are you over 25?
Yes, I'm over 25. I'll be 35 in 2007. I bought the NSX when I was 31.
Old 12-31-06, 01:27 PM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

i used to work for an acura dealership as a tech and have driven a few nsx's. but i have never driven a s2k. the 91-93 is more in my price range. i do love the newer styling, but not the pricing, lol.. the nsx just seems to have a bigger wow factor even for its age. should i be worried about high mileage when looking around for nsx's?? i see alot fo them in my price range with 120k+mi's

Last edited by prjctSC300; 12-31-06 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-31-06, 02:04 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by prjctSC300
i used to work for an acura dealership as a tech and have driven a few nsx's. but i have never driven a s2k. the 91-93 is more in my price range. i do love the newer styling, but not the pricing, lol.. the nsx just seems to have a bigger wow factor even for its age. should i be worried about high mileage when looking around for nsx's?? i see alot fo them in my price range with 120k+mi's
If maintained properly 120K miles is nothing. I had nearly 90K on mine when I sold it to my brother. T Belt and water pump where done at about 70K. I would also change the harmonic balancer/main crank pulley as well. Stories have been coming up where the rubber harmonic balancer is separating from the crank pulley, rubbing into the T belt cover, then cutting the T belt. As you know that is very bad. The part and labor on a crank pulley change isn't that much for peace of mind.

The 02+ update can be added to the 91-2001 NSX. I was in the process of an 02 conversion myself. I just needed the headlights and I would have completed the front end change.

If you haven't driven the S2000 yet I would do so. It would only be fair for you to do so for an accurate comparison. You very well may like the S2000 better than the NSX. If so, you have a 10+ year newer car with lower miles for the same price. I personally have never had the pleasure of driving an S2000, but I do have friends that own them. I'm just not a convertible person. The T top on the NSX-T is about as convertible as I can get.
Old 12-31-06, 02:10 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

How hard is it to work on an NSX yourself? I'm ahands on guy and really like to do things myself so thats why i'm asking/wondering.
Old 12-31-06, 02:34 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
How hard is it to work on an NSX yourself? I'm ahands on guy and really like to do things myself so thats why i'm asking/wondering.
Engine work is beyond my skills so I can't comment too much there, Suspension is just like any other Honda/Acura and I've done my own in my garage. Brakes is easy like any other car. As for the engine, there is a limited amount of space, but even though it is a mid engine you do not need to drop the engine to do major work like Timing Belt and Water Pump. Those can be done by yourself as long as you know how to do it as it is similar to any V6 Honda/Acura car. I would say if you are experienced working on engines you can work on an NSX. The service manual is about $100, or you can download it from NSX Prime. Seriously, it is a Honda There are NSX specific things since the engine is a DOCH VTEC C block (Legend is a SOHC C block), but it is no different than other Honda/Acura engines.
Old 12-31-06, 02:52 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Thats kool. thats the one thing that I didn't research and I had no idea about how hard it was to do. IDK know. I would love an NSX so maybe if I can get a real good job in the near future and save I might get one. Older one of course, and with a bank loan.

BTW I'm 19 so I'm sure my insurence would be crazy but its worth a look. Its not as bad as most people think on my 94 RX-7.
Old 12-31-06, 03:10 PM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

actually, the 4yrs i worked at acura i have never seen an nsx come in for major repair. maybe just a clutch job and t-belt here and there. i only got to do tires and minor repairs for those cars. on the new nsx's i got to install accessories and do the pre-delivery inspection.

Quick Reply: buying a acura nsx or honda s2k??