Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Lincoln Aviator

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 11:56 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So lexus/toyota make safety kit standard
Acura/Honda same thing

Everyone else makes basic kit standard, but adaptive cruise control is an option....Lease it at best
Old 01-25-19, 12:10 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
So lexus/toyota make safety kit standard
Acura/Honda same thing

Everyone else makes basic kit standard, but adaptive cruise control is an option....Lease it at best
Most things like Pre-Collision, adaptive cruise, Lane Keep assist are options wrapped in expensive packages on the Germans. Jaguar XE doesn't even have a backup camera as standard when I drove one as a loaner from the airport a month ago. ToMoCo, Honda, FoMoCo do it right making these things standard
Old 01-25-19, 01:57 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Let's not forget that cost of ownership will be cheaper as well.

My manager bought a new GLC or GLE a year or two ago. He's paying a ton for maintenance. He thinks he isn't because he prepaid for the maintenance...but still, he spent over $3-4k for his maintenance plan. That's a lot of money for oil changes and filters for 2-3 years.
Old 01-25-19, 07:40 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Most things like Pre-Collision, adaptive cruise, Lane Keep assist are options wrapped in expensive packages on the Germans. Jaguar XE doesn't even have a backup camera as standard when I drove one as a loaner from the airport a month ago. ToMoCo, Honda, FoMoCo do it right making these things standard
I guess i find it weird. Just a couple years ago, Lexus/Toyo Honda/Acura were trailing the big names in bringing safety suites to market, now they kind of are leading it.

While I agree the Germans and their expensive packages make this a steal, Lincoln would made this even a better home run with adopting the aforementioned options as standard. Raising the bar even higher and maybe slotting a lower powered engine thats base. #Futureplans
Old 01-25-19, 08:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I guess i find it weird. Just a couple years ago, Lexus/Toyo Honda/Acura were trailing the big names in bringing safety suites to market, now they kind of are leading it.
The big thing going forward is safety. Nobody wants to pay extra for it. Lots of it is just software development as well.
Old 01-25-19, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Jaguar XE doesn't even have a backup camera as standard when I drove one as a loaner from the airport a month ago.
ToMoCo, Honda, FoMoCo do it right making these things standard
The Government itself made backup cameras standard...as of May of last year. If the XE you drove didn't have one, it either was not built to American-specs, or was built before May.
Old 01-26-19, 07:44 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

backup cameras are federally mandated for 2018 MY vehicles
Old 01-26-19, 11:08 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
backup cameras are federally mandated for 2018 MY vehicles
Avis must of given me a 2017 then. Because there was no camera.
Old 01-28-19, 10:56 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Is it a model year thing or a date of manufacture thing? Sometimes the inclusion of mandatory stuff happens mid-model year.

The big example that comes to mind was the 2007 diesel emissions regs. You could buy a 2007 Dodge or GM with the pre-emissions engine, but those were all manufactured prior to January 1, 2007. The rest of the model year had the new emissions compliant engines, but they were still 2007's.
Old 01-28-19, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Avis must of given me a 2017 then. Because there was no camera.

I understand your point, though. It does seem a little odd for an upscale product like a Jaguar not to include something like a back-up camera until Uncle-Sam literally shoves it down their throat with legislation. Other vehicles (even some lower-market ones) have been offering back-up cameras for several years.
Old 01-29-19, 06:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I was just surprised that Lexus went from the back to the front real quick.
Old 01-30-19, 11:01 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I understand your point, though. It does seem a little odd for an upscale product like a Jaguar not to include something like a back-up camera until Uncle-Sam literally shoves it down their throat with legislation. Other vehicles (even some lower-market ones) have been offering back-up cameras for several years.
Up until mandated, I suspect cost-cutting for their cheapest model the XE was the culprit. Make it an option make it a profit. On a luxury name like 'Jaguar' I don't agree with that. I wonder if the XF suffered the same fate until 2018.
Old 02-21-19, 09:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Saw this in the flesh. A big win for Lincoln. Great styling. Interior looks great. This eats the GX.
Old 02-22-19, 12:02 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Saw this in the flesh. A big win for Lincoln. Great styling. Interior looks great. This eats the GX.
GX is a terrible comparison, because it has no direct competition. It’s really an odd duck in a lonely segment. Aviator is the antidote to X5 and GLE though the latter two will still win in sales.
Old 02-22-19, 01:47 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

GX is a terrible comparison, because it has no direct competition. It’s really an odd duck in a lonely segment. Aviator is the antidote to X5 and GLE though the latter two will still win in sales.
GX is in a league of its own, and whether thats a good thing or bad thing time will tell. The aviator is targeting all the 3 row crossovers from luxury Marques

Value is what Lincoln is going to cover most with their pricing structure as it covers everything from an XC90, MDX, RX-L (i threw that one in for kicks caz really its just holding an L), all new Caddy, QX60 all the way to GLS/q7?X7 territory.

The issue on the higher end is, well if you are paying that much, bump into Navigator, Future Escalade, LX, X7 with options or GLS with options.

Quick Reply: 2020 Lincoln Aviator