Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Here is an interesting article about Mary Barra. She is shutting a plant she actually once managed.
Yep.....and they built (and sold) plenty of big sedans there when she was managing it.
Old 11-28-18, 07:42 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

The current Lacrosse, Regal, Cruze, Canyon are already international designs. GM is already doing what you are saying they will have trouble with. These closures were about getting smaller and getting out of the hassle of having a UAW workers and legacy plants. It makes no sense to upgrade these plants for cars. Do you not see that?
Are those international designs easily adaptable to north american regulations? I'm talking about when the market taste changes and how quickly GM can adapt to new market demands. I'm not talking about the UAW or whatever you are veering off into. Do you not understand the conversation here?
Old 11-28-18, 12:22 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I feel like Buick, and Lincoln will both be gone in the next decade. GM will concentrate on Chevrolet, GMC, and Cadillac mostly. Ford will become mostly a Truck and SUV company, while spinning off the Mustang into its own brand.

That is my prediction.
Old 11-28-18, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I feel like Buick, and Lincoln will both be gone in the next decade. GM will concentrate on Chevrolet, GMC, and Cadillac mostly. Ford will become mostly a Truck and SUV company, while spinning off the Mustang into its own brand.

That is my prediction.

What do you think will happen to Buick in China? It's currently the top-selling brand in that country. It's one of the main reasons the brand still exists in the U.S.
Old 11-28-18, 12:54 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you think will happen to Buick in China? It's currently the top-selling brand in that country. It's one of the main reasons the brand still exists in the U.S.
Interesting point. Maybe Buick would exit the US market, and just become the Opel of China.

Old 11-28-18, 01:09 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Are those international designs easily adaptable to north american regulations? I'm talking about when the market taste changes and how quickly GM can adapt to new market demands. I'm not talking about the UAW or whatever you are veering off into. Do you not understand the conversation here?
The USA (and Canada tends to follow) has some specific new vehicle regulations (like emissions, and headlight and taillight) that are different from the rest of the world. These specific regulations make it more difficult and more expensive to produce a North American version of a vehicle on a foreign assembly line, especially in small numbers.

But if we updated our new vehicle regulations to match what the rest of the world has, that would make it much easier to build and export vehicles to North America.
Old 11-28-18, 01:13 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Interesting point. Maybe Buick would exit the US market, and just become the Opel of China.
I never understood why Buick had to remain a North American brand post-bankruptcy a decade ago. It could have been kept but sold only in China. That would have avoided the 2-tier premium lineup that GM now has (Buick and Cadillac) in North America.
Old 11-28-18, 01:17 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The USA (and Canada tends to follow) has some specific new vehicle regulations (like emissions, and headlight and taillight) that are different from the rest of the world. These specific regulations make it more difficult and more expensive to produce a North American version of a vehicle on a foreign assembly line, especially in small numbers.

But if we updated our new vehicle regulations to match what the rest of the world has, that would make it much easier to build and export vehicles to North America.
I remember in 1998, Nissan (and likely many others) sold a California car, and a rest of the USA car. Mine had Calif. emissions as a result of being sold in NY.

By the time I bought my BMW in late 2006, I asked a salesperson, must I buy a car in NY, to get Calif. emissions? He put me on hold, and came back 5 min. later, saying he's told all BMWs are 50-state cars.

Flash forward to late 2011. My wife buys a new GM, in PA, and it meets Calif. emissions, as PA had joined at some point, along with NY, NJ, MD, VT, MA, etc. At this time, General Motors still made 3 versions of the same vehicle, with differing emissions. They can do that, and they can't fix a dirty voltage issue going back to the 90's. I saw a new Yukon Denali XL where the right side LEDs were burned out. imho these are hints that the co. is not nimble enough to do things that make sense. Maybe they need to get smaller to succeed.
Old 11-28-18, 03:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

All the manufacturers already have all this in place. GM already imports from all over the world. You make it sound like car companies are not importing because of the US and Canadian rules and regulations
Old 11-28-18, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
That wouldn't work, because GM no longer owns Opel. Sold them off last year. The current Buick Regal, introduced last year, will probably be the last of the Opel-designed Buicks. GM also broke its ties with Holden of Australia (Buick currently sells a big RWD sedan in China that is Holden-based, like the Chevy SS and the former Pontiac G8 and GTO)...so Holden can probably also be eliminated as a source.
Old 11-28-18, 06:46 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

All the manufacturers already have all this in place. GM already imports from all over the world. You make it sound like car companies are not importing because of the US and Canadian rules and regulations
Someone asked a question and I answered.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said that automakers are not importing to the USA, only that it would be easier and cheaper, and make it economical even for small numbers (low demand). We could, theoretically, get access to a much greater variety of vehicles if we standardized new vehicle regulations with the rest of the world.
Old 11-29-18, 06:37 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne

That is my prediction.
Hard to see the Mustang being spun off into its own brand unless they plan on different variants of the Mustang like an SUV.
Old 11-29-18, 06:39 AM
situman
Pole Position

That's a big IF. And we would probably get all the cool cars that Japan and other countries get that we dont if all the regulations are unified.
Old 11-29-18, 06:42 AM
situman
Pole Position

Someone asked a question and I answered.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said that automakers are not importing to the USA, only that it would be easier and cheaper, and make it economical even for small numbers (low demand). We could, theoretically, get access to a much greater variety of vehicles if we standardized new vehicle regulations with the rest of the world.
She's just ignoring the fact that a manufacturer cant just simply import a vehicle from another country. The steering wheel may not even be on the same side for gods sake.
Old 11-29-18, 06:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
She's just ignoring the fact that a manufacturer cant just simply import a vehicle from another country. The steering wheel may not even be on the same side for gods sake.
Makes no sense, not ignoring anything. . My 4Runner was a left and right hand steering design. Sold in many places in the world. It can be easily done from a design point of view. I am not sure what you are not seeing? Almost all Lexus models are designed for world markets that meet a variety of regulations. Keeping a underperforming plant open is far more costly than just designing the model to meet different markets. I am sure the current Buick LaCrosse and Chevy Cruse which are getting discontinued have already designs that can support left and right hand designs.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-29-18 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories