Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 03:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thank You, but I am well-versed in Aviation history. Ever been to the National Air and Space Museum? I was once a tour-guide there. This is probably not the best thread to discuss that, though......we may be getting off-topic with plant-closures.
Been there many times. Yes, not the thread, however I do agree with a few points you made earlier.
Old 01-12-19, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Been there many times. Yes, not the thread, however I do agree with a few points you made earlier.
Thanks.

Have you been to see the Oshawa plant? Some plants give guided tours...not sure about that one. On the map, it's only a few miles from where you often are in Toronto.

You are correct, BTW, about it being the highest-rated GM plant for quality....at least per Wiki. The only significant glitch I've seen with vehicles coming out of that plant was the front-end/steering-wheel shimmy on the early Cadillac XTS (I wrote about that in my review)...and that turned out to be an engineering problem, not a quality-goof in the plant on something like a bad tire-mount or balance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshawa_Car_Assembly

Originally Posted by Wiki
Since 1999, it has won more quality and productivity awards than any other GM plant. The plant is part of the larger GM Autoplex.
Old 01-12-19, 04:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks.

Have you been to see the Oshawa plant? Some plants give guided tours...not sure about that one. On the map, it's only a few miles from where you often are in Toronto.

You are correct, BTW, about it being the highest-rated GM plant for quality....at least per Wiki. The only significant glitch I've seen with vehicles coming out of that plant was the front-end/steering-wheel shimmy on the early Cadillac XTS (I wrote about that in my review)...and that turned out to be an engineering problem, not a quality-goof in the plant on something like a bad tire-mount or balance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshawa_Car_Assembly
No. I have never been to the plant. However, I used to drive by it 100s of times back when I was working part time at a University close to it in the 90s and early 00s. You can clearly see the GM head office location as you drive by on the highway. The plant is about an hour outside of Toronto. There are numerous plants close to Toronto, there is the Chrysler Brampton assembly, West Mississauga Ford Edge assembly location. There are other parts and fabricating locations in the area as well. I do predict a collapse of automotive manufacturing in the North US and south Canada in the next year or so. NAFTA has made it way too easy to move to Mexico. It’s a shame.
Old 01-12-19, 07:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

NAFTA made it way too easy to move manufacturing to Mexico 25 years ago. Whats happening now is not caused by NAFTA.
Old 01-12-19, 08:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
NAFTA made it way too easy to move manufacturing to Mexico 25 years ago. Whats happening now is not caused by NAFTA.
Nafta definitely factors in. GM imports seven models or about 425K units to the US and Canada. VW, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Tacoma. Upcoming Blazer. GM could of very easily put Blazer production in any of the plants that are closing.
Old 01-12-19, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

GM could of very easily put Blazer production in any of the plants that are closing.
Yes, GM could put Blazer production into one or more of those plants, but it is an open question as to just how easily. It would probably require extensive retooling, and perhaps retraining some of the workers. IMO, however, it would be worth it to keep jobs in the region....it is simply imperative that the loss of jobs overseas be stopped, even at significant cost.
Old 01-12-19, 08:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, GM could put Blazer production into one or more of those plants, but it is an open question as to just how easily. It would probably require extensive retooling, and perhaps retraining some of the workers. IMO, however, it would be worth it to keep jobs in the region....it is simply imperative that the loss of jobs overseas be stopped, even at significant cost.
Factoring our labor to do the retooling. Your gonna have to retool the Mexico plants for the Blazer anyway.
Old 01-13-19, 10:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nafta definitely factors in. GM imports seven models or about 425K units to the US and Canada. VW, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Tacoma. Upcoming Blazer. GM could of very easily put Blazer production in any of the plants that are closing.
It factors in, but you can't blame it on NAFTA. NAFTA has existed for 25 years and this is just happening now.

Then the government can shoulder that cost for the private companies they want to do this. Simple.

These companies don't exist for the purpose of hiring people. They exist to make profit, bottom line, and you cant force them to make business decisions that cost them profit.

You're either for free enterprise or you're not...
Old 01-13-19, 10:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It factors in, but you can't blame it on NAFTA. NAFTA has existed for 25 years and this is just happening now...
Yes nafta did happen 25 years ago. However, it’s systematic, GM is expanding their manufacturing operations of their Mexico plant (Blazer) while at the same time GM is closing production in the US in Canada. Early in 2017,GM also laid workers at their Ingersoll plant while they increased production of the vehicle made at the Mexico plant. You can go back to the Quebec closure as well in the 2000’s. At the end of the day, GM is not building nor are they expanding, but they are in Mexico. Which is all becuase of NAFTA which allows it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-13-19 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-13-19, 11:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The bottom line is its just too expensive to make things here. You can't deliver products to us as consumers at lower and lower prices and continue to pay Americans to build stuff at higher and higher wages, thats just not sustainable.

What we need to do is prepare our population for the economy of the future and train them to be able to do the sorts of jobs that will be available in the US in the future. Continuing to try and "force" manufacturing and such here when the market doesn't support that is not the answer.
Old 01-13-19, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The bottom line is its just too expensive to make things here. You can't deliver products to us as consumers at lower and lower prices and continue to pay Americans to build stuff at higher and higher wages, thats just not sustainable.
I simply don't agree with that line of reasoning. Those who can afford five (or sometimes six) figures for a new vehicle can afford slightly more to cover the cost of American labor. Some auto manufacturers cut costs enough as it is (no spare tires, manual hood prop-rods, cheap trim/interior materials, tack-on video screens, etc....) even independent of labor costs and/or where the vehicle is manufactured. If one cannot afford a new car, then look at a used one.

I'll all for capitalism and free-markets, and a reasonable amount of consumer choice in vehicles. But, in the end, although CL is a global forum, most of us in Car Chat are either Americans or Canadians....and our first loyalty, IMO, has to be to our own countries. Capitalism, contrary to some opinions, is NOT simply finding the lowest labor price overseas and then telling workers in your own country to go jump in a lake. IMO, there is a difference between true capitalism and greed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-19 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-13-19, 07:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I simply don't agree with that line of reasoning.

there is a difference between true capitalism and greed.
I agree with you. GM could build their Blazer in the USA or Canada and make money doing it. They just don't want to. They want to make even more by doing it in Mexico. On the flip side, you must see the side where the UAW really can stranglehold GM whereas other manufacturers like Hyundai or Honda do not have the same labor contracts to deal with.
Old 01-13-19, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

On the flip side, you must see the side where the UAW really can stranglehold GM whereas other manufacturers like Hyundai or Honda do not have the same labor contracts to deal with.

History, though, is inconclusive on that. When the UAW was at its strongest (1950s, 60s, 70s), and covered the most employees with the highest wages, GM basically owned the American market, with an almost 60% share of the industry. Like it or not, over the years, the weaker the UAW got, the smaller and weaker GM got right along with it....right up to the bankruptcy.

You mentioned Hyundai. As for Hyundai, their prices have gone up noticeably in recent years, despite lower labor costs. That's partly because of the excellent materials and construction-techniques they are using on their vehicles today....I got another sample of that, just a couple of days ago, reviewing the new Genesis G70.
Old 01-13-19, 08:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I simply don't agree with that line of reasoning. Those who can afford five (or sometimes six) figures for a new vehicle can afford slightly more to cover the cost of American labor. Some auto manufacturers cut costs enough as it is (no spare tires, manual hood prop-rods, cheap trim/interior materials, tack-on video screens, etc....) even independent of labor costs and/or where the vehicle is manufactured. If one cannot afford a new car, then look at a used one.
The world just doesn't work that way Mike...

I'll all for capitalism and free-markets.
You're actually not...at all.
Old 01-13-19, 09:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You're actually not...at all.
Nope.....with all due respect, that's where you are mistaken. I'm for true capitalism, not simple greed. True capitalism invests money for the overall good of the public, one's country, and to build a successful business. Capitalism was never meant to become what the great Robber Barons of the late 19th and early 20th century (Rockefeller, Morgan, Carnegie, Frick, etc....) turned it into at the time.....an system of economic slavery in the factories, as opposed to the earlier Southern system, based on race, on the plantations. It took the rise of unions and legislation to finally break the power of those barons. It is also worth noting that, like I told Jill, the American auto industry reached its peak when the UAW itself was at its peak. The UAW was anything BUT a strain on the auto manufacturers.

As Americans, one of our priorities should be a good economy for our own fellow citizens, not just people halfway around the world....that means investing IN our fellow citizens. You say the world doesn't operate that way. It does if we simply use some ethics.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories