Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 05:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, yes, there have been, but they are very small and relatively unknown companies, like the one that produced the Corbin Sparrow.
I don't consider that a car.

Old 12-09-18, 05:31 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I myself had an Outback for six years. Unbelievable winter car.
Yeah--my dad was pretty cheap. He didn't spring for 4WD, even though we lived in CT. But even FWD was pretty good in the snow with those frisbee tires on steel rims.
Old 12-09-18, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Yeah--my dad was pretty cheap. He didn't spring for 4WD, even though we lived in CT. But even FWD was pretty good in the snow with those frisbee tires on steel rims.

AWD is not necessarily a mark of cheapness...indeed, it can be a real boon. True, there is a little more potential maintenance, and the extra drag on the engine cuts a little into acceleration and fuel-mileage. But it could (?) also mean the difference between getting to your destination in bad weather or getting stuck and having to call Johnny-Tow-Truck (or, if still under warranty, Factory Road Assistance, which is usually just a AAA contract) to come and get you out. In some places, if you get stuck on an official Snow Emergency route without either AWD or winter tires, the jurisdiction, by law, will also fine you.
Old 12-10-18, 05:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

AWD is not necessarily a mark of cheapness...indeed, it can be a real boon. True, there is a little more potential maintenance, and the extra drag on the engine cuts a little into acceleration and fuel-mileage. But it could (?) also mean the difference between getting to your destination in bad weather or getting stuck and having to call Johnny-Tow-Truck (or, if still under warranty, Factory Road Assistance, which is usually just a AAA contract) to come and get you out. In some places, if you get stuck on an official Snow Emergency route without either AWD or winter tires, the jurisdiction, by law, will also fine you.
Thanks for your thoughts, but trust me on this one--my dad was cheap and that's the sole reason why he didn't get the 4WD version. I think I have some better insight on this point.

Last edited by tex2670; 12-10-18 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-10-18, 07:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for your thoughts, but trust me on this one--my dad was cheap and that's the sole reason why he didn't get the 4WD version. I think I have some better insight on this point.
Oh, I'm sure you do, him being your own father......no arguments there. I was just pointing out some things about AWD. Actually, it can be found on some surprisingly inexpensive vehicles, such as the Subaru Impreza and Crosstrek. In fact Suzuki, before they left the American market, had it standard on the $15,999 (to start) SX-4, with even a 3-position switch (which Subarus lack) for FWD, AWD, and AWD Lock or tough conditions.

My own Dad, who has been deceased for over 30 years, in his mind, never came out of the unregulated-vehicle age. He refused to drive anything with emission controls (which meant 1970 or earlier) and didn't have either the durable Chrysler Slant Six or small V8 engines.
Old 12-10-18, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back on topic, Here's one of the better videos I've seen on the subject. It also goes into depth on some of the options that the workers themselves have, and the future of the plants.

Old 12-10-18, 10:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

When you see a sign, "studded snows and or chains recommended," it isn't time to try out the CR-V with A/S!

Oddly this past week I spent in Portland, Oregon, there were so many vehicles with studded snows, you could hear them. I was told they average 3" annually, so I felt it was odd.
Old 12-10-18, 10:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I don't know what age your dad is, but I can tell you this, I read a book by a current US Senator and he described growing up and how he fears that today his own children can't make proper decisions etc. I get what you learned from your dad has equipped you to make decent decsions.

Not getting 4WD when you either don't need it, or can't justify the cost, is normal when you buy something. Marginal benefit should exceed marginal cost, in theory. Today, one can say less thought is put into decisions. Do I want a car for $1029/mo., $889/mo. or $1500/mo. Kind of like cell phones today, $55/mo., $41/mo., huh?! That's why when I saw iPhone Xs for $249.99 I had to take it, even though I am an android person. My buddy bet me that come black Friday it would be free--it never was, for once I nailed the deal.
Old 12-10-18, 12:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
When you see a sign, "studded snows and or chains recommended," it isn't time to try out the CR-V with A/S!

Oddly this past week I spent in Portland, Oregon, there were so many vehicles with studded snows, you could hear them. I was told they average 3" annually, so I felt it was odd.
Portland has (apparently) not outlawed studs like many other jurisdictions have.
Old 12-10-18, 03:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Back on topic, Here's one of the better videos I've seen on the subject. It also goes into depth on some of the options that the workers themselves have, and the future of the plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Uq5R8b-sA
yeah you do know RT stands for Russian Television.
Old 12-10-18, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

So what? I don't care where it was recorded, as long as it is accurate. The guy, IMO, made some good points. This isn't the Stalinist or Communist era.....not everything that comes out of Russia is necessarily evil.
Old 12-10-18, 04:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Do you have a list of acceptable nations?

Old 12-10-18, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Do you have a list of acceptable nations?

Good point, and not to mention the fact that this very forum (Club Lexus) is named after a Japanese-branded automaker...a nation we were one at war with. I see little point in making a big deal about Russia.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-18 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 06:06 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Good point, and not to mention the fact that this very forum (Club Lexus) is named after a Japanese-branded automaker...a nation we were one at war with. I see little point in making a big deal about Russia.
Way off topic but Russian hackers are part of the top group that target the US. They are very efficient at accessing the most secure networks. Anyway back to plant closings.
Old 12-10-18, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
Anyway back to plant closings.
Back indeed. GM is now trying to defend itself from loss of subsidies....Good Luck.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/general-mo...plant-closures

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories