Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 08:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no guarantee ANY of the gm workers would get hired at tesla, and tesla will vigorously oppose any uaw infiltration i'm sure.
Tesla hired back a lot of the GM workers in the other plant they bought. Odds are they would do that here as well.
Old 12-09-18, 08:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Tesla is nonunion.

What I find funny is look at the picture at the top of the screen of presumably employee cars parked behind the plant's sign. I see a Range Rover, an Infiniti QX60 and a Toyota Corolla. Remember, these employees get HUGE discounts on GM vehicles, yet, they bought these...

Could be visitors at the plant. Could be vendors. I know some plants the company segregates thhose who have company branded models vs those who have imports as they are forced to park father in the lot.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
Tesla hired back a lot of the GM workers in the other plant they bought. Odds are they would do that here as well.
Sharp contrast to what GM is doing. Tesla now has 10,000 workers at their Fremont location.
Old 12-09-18, 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no guarantee ANY of the gm workers would get hired at tesla, and tesla will vigorously oppose any uaw infiltration i'm sure.
I guess if it boiled down a choice of being unemployed or putting food on the table, that would be one thing, but I just wonder how many people, if they had viable a choice, would want to work for Elon Musk. He was once a credible entrepreneur and CEO, but, lately, seems to be losing it. Mary Barra, I thought, may have made a questionable decision, but, at least, still seems to have a full deck.
Old 12-09-18, 10:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I guess if it boiled down a choice of being unemployed or putting food on the table, that would be one thing, but I just wonder how many people, if they had viable a choice, would want to work for Elon Musk. He was once a credible entrepreneur and CEO, but, lately, seems to be losing it. Mary Barra, I thought, may have made a questionable decision, but, at least, still seems to have a full deck.
On the other hand, Tesla seems to be on the path to actually go somewhere with their brand, GM has been losing market share and shedding US capacity for 30 plus years. Like I mentioned earlier, Tesla now employs 10,000 workers at Fremont, when has GM added 10,000 new employees?

I do agree, Musk does not seem to be all there
Old 12-09-18, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

On the other hand, Tesla seems to be on the path to actually go somewhere with their brand, GM has been losing market share and shedding US capacity for 30 plus years. Like I mentioned earlier, Tesla now employs 10,000 workers at Fremont, when has GM added 10,000 new employees.

Tesla, though, is (potentially) getting in over their heads worse than GM. GM is at least not stuck with ownership of (and responsibility for running) those Tesla dealerships. Bob Lutz correctly points out that company-ownership of dealers (as opposed to private dealer-franchises) has never worked in the auto industry, and is not working now.
Old 12-09-18, 10:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla, though, is (potentially) getting in over their heads worse than GM. GM is at least not stuck with ownership of (and responsibility for running) those Tesla dealerships. Bob Lutz correctly points out that company-ownership of dealers (as opposed to private dealer-franchises) has never worked in the auto industry, and is not working now.
I miss what your point in what you are trying to say with the company owned retail locations. GM closed a lot of franchises back in the bail out era. If GM is losing market share, they probably are expanding their franchises. I do think Tesla is going to go out of business or be bought out, however they are increasing their market share in North America, I don’t think GM is.
Old 12-09-18, 11:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I miss what your point in what you are trying to say with the company owned retail locations. GM closed a lot of franchises back in the bail out era. If GM is losing market share, they probably are expanding their franchises. I do think Tesla is going to go out of business or be bought out, however they are increasing their market share in North America, I don’t think GM is.
What GM closed was not company-owned franchises....for the most part, there are none, and never were. They were privately owned franchises that sold GM products. GM doesn't have to pay the bills for running private franchises....Tesla, with their comany-owned stores, does.
Old 12-09-18, 11:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What GM closed was not company-owned franchises....for the most part, there are none, and never were. They were privately owned franchises that sold GM products. GM doesn't have to pay the bills for running private franchises....Tesla, with their comany-owned stores, does.
GM did close dealers after the bail out, they just refused to renew the franchise agreements to dealers or for those who were underperforming. I think GM even offered incentives to for some of these dealers to close. GM also closed off brands such as Pontiac or Saab which would suggest those who owned dealers would be closing their locations. I think officially cut 1100 locations.

As for Tesla, I still do not see waht you are trying to express. Having company owned retail stores works to their advantage as they can just close them at will if they want to. I do not think company owned locations is good for consumers, but I think that is for a different discussion

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-09-18 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-09-18, 01:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

GM workers deserve a better union boss.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/nat...lant-1.4211028
Old 12-09-18, 02:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Could be visitors at the plant. Could be vendors. I know some plants the company segregates thhose who have company branded models vs those who have imports as they are forced to park father in the lot.

We have no way to know, but its still funny.
Old 12-09-18, 04:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

GM did close dealers after the bail out, they just refused to renew the franchise agreements to dealers or for those who were underperforming. I think GM even offered incentives to for some of these dealers to close. GM also closed off brands such as Pontiac or Saab which would suggest those who owned dealers would be closing their locations. I think officially cut 1100 locations.

Yes, no arguments there....you are correct. Chrysler also cut a lot of dealerships at the time. I was refering to company-owned shops, though, not independent franchises such as as these were.

As for Tesla, I still do not see waht you are trying to express. Having company owned retail stores works to their advantage as they can just close them at will if they want to. I do not think company owned locations is good for consumers, but I think that is for a different discussion
It makes for a huge amount of overhead. A lot of publicity is given to GM's overhead in retirement/pensions, but comparably little to what Tesla also has to absorb every day with the cost of all those company-owned facilities. Unlike GM, Tesla (even though GM had a lot more dealerships) has cover all of the costs of running those shops....property-taxes, utilities, heating/cooling, employee/manager salaries, upkeep, maintenance, cost of new equipment, etc..... With GM, most of that is handled at the dealer level, with private franchises.
Old 12-09-18, 04:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It makes for a huge amount of overhead. A lot of publicity is given to GM's overhead in retirement/pensions, but comparably little to what Tesla also has to absorb every day with the cost of all those company-owned facilities. Unlike GM, Tesla (even though GM had a lot more dealerships) has cover all of the costs of running those shops....property-taxes, utilities, heating/cooling, employee/manager salaries, upkeep, maintenance, cost of new equipment, etc..... With GM, most of that is handled at the dealer level, with private franchises.
I see what you are saying now. I think at the end of the day, it will be the same difference. Some people on here seem to think that the Tesla way of selling cars is the better way. I do not. I believe Tesla is having problems meeting their build demands, while GM has over capacity. I still think this idea put forth by Tesla is more PR than it is real substance.
Old 12-09-18, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I see what you are saying now. I think at the end of the day, it will be the same difference. Some people on here seem to think that the Tesla way of selling cars is the better way. I do not. I believe Tesla is having problems meeting their build demands, while GM has over capacity. I still think this idea put forth by Tesla is more PR than it is real substance.
Tesla, though, has a great potential future, if not necessarily as an automaker. They are arguably the world's leader in the development of long-range (if not cheap) auto-propulsion batteries and motors. If their entire auto-producing function is not successful in the long run (and right now, I wouldn't bet on it)...they will probably end up producing the next-generation of long-range battery/motor combinations for EVs from other companies. And those vehicles, while incorporating the Tesla range, will probably not sell for the high Tesla prices, because they won't be subject to Tesla's high overhead costs in running all of the present shops. I see it as an (eventual) win-win situation for almost all of those involved...companies, labor, and EV buyers/customers.
Old 12-09-18, 05:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,049 Likes on 2,562 Posts

Where do I begin. There has never been a company that only sells electric cars until Tesla this reminds me of Microsoft making fun of Apple because the iPhone didn't have a keyboard. Lutz has made several predictions on Tesla that are turning out to be completely wrong the guy is a dinosaur. Much like GM they are clinging to SUVs and trucks to keep themselves going this isn't going to last forever.

GM should have been left to die in 2009 instead they are going to repeat the same mistakes and could end up going bankrupt again.
Old 12-09-18, 05:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Where do I begin. There has never been a company that only sells electric cars until Tesla
Well, yes, there have been, but they are very small and relatively unknown companies, like the one that produced the Corbin Sparrow.

Lutz has made several predictions on Tesla that are turning out to be completely wrong the guy is a dinosaur. Much like GM they are clinging to SUVs and trucks to keep themselves going this isn't going to last forever.
Oh I agree the SUV craze is probably not set in stone. Right now, however, they are popular because lots of people like the high seating/entry/exit position (no stoop-downs), almost universal AWD for bad weather, and roomy interior for carrying large objects. And, contrary to popular belief, gas mileage isn't even much of an issue even with AWD, if you are looking at the smaller car-based crossovers.

GM should have been left to die in 2009 instead they are going to repeat the same mistakes and could end up going bankrupt again.
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm certainly glad that they offered some of the products they did in the last 10 years, even if they are (or soon will be) gone. I enjoyed my Verano, and am thoroughly enjoying my Lacrosse.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories