Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-18, 06:40 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

mmarshall. Have you seen the film Roger & Me? I highly, highly recommend you see it if you have not. I think everyone should see the movie, it is related to what we are all discussing in this thread. Very very sad film. The closing of these GM plants are just catastrophic.

My heart goes out to all those who will losing their jobs. Such a tragic event. The people getting evicted was just so sad.
The human cost of these plants closing is terrible but I understand that the 3 plants announced for closure are the bare minimum GM think they can "sell" at this time. A further 4 plants are operating at less than 50% capacity and are earmarked for closure in the next round as GM seeks to reduce its manufacturing footprint in the US.
Old 12-05-18, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
The human cost of these plants closing is terrible but I understand that the 3 plants announced for closure are the bare minimum GM think they can "sell" at this time. A further 4 plants are operating at less than 50% capacity and are earmarked for closure in the next round as GM seeks to reduce its manufacturing footprint in the US.
You folks over in Britain have also, at least to some extent, been on GM's chopping blocks. They sold off Opel/Vauxhall, so that company, while it still exists under Peugeot, no longer has GM's big corporate umbrella over it.
Old 12-05-18, 06:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
For sure. I completely understand that situation. However, I just watched the movie. It was a very interesting take on the situation. When you hear Smith gets a $2 million bonus and is avoiding Michael Moore who wants an interview all the while a laid off worker is getting evicted as he lives across trom Buick City. It’s jusf sad all around. Then a former worker gets evicted on the Christmas Day while Smith is at a party with the GM people. Was just spreading some awareness
Old 12-05-18, 06:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

the ceo's job is to keep the company afloat and prosperous. like someone with gangrene sometimes you have to chop off a limb to save their life! the ceo's job isn't easy. was rogers smith a great ceo for gm? doesn't seem like it. but it's not a popularity contest, and gm isn't a charity.
Old 12-05-18, 07:04 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the ceo's job is to keep the company afloat and prosperous. like someone with gangrene sometimes you have to chop off a limb to save their life! the ceo's job isn't easy. was rogers smith a great ceo for gm? doesn't seem like it. but it's not a popularity contest, and gm isn't a charity.
100% True, I'm on the management team here at work and now that I'm on this side of the fence dealing with budgets, resourcing etc...it's a different game than just being an Engineer. I fully understand that adjustments including cuts have to be made and it's just part of business.
Old 12-05-18, 07:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For sure. I completely understand that situation. However, I just watched the movie. It was a very interesting take on the situation. When you hear Smith gets a $2 million bonus and is avoiding Michael Moore who wants an interview all the while a laid off worker is getting evicted as he lives across trom Buick City. It’s jusf sad all around. Then a former worker gets evicted on the Christmas Day while Smith is at a party with the GM people. Was just spreading some awareness
While I certainly agree that Smith was one of the factors that allowed the quality of GM products to tank (he cared only about production and profits, not quality or reliability), Michael Moron is certainly not in a position to point any fingers at Smith (or anyone else) for excessive income. How much as Michael himself made over the years, from the media, royalties, articles, interviews, shows, etc....? Worse, he won't even take a tiny piece of that big nest egg he's sitting on and go out and buy a couple of things he desperately needs......a bar of soap, deodorant, razor, shaving cream, and some new clothes. He could also use a membership in a nice gym or recreation center.
Old 12-05-18, 07:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
100% True, I'm on the management team here at work and now that I'm on this side of the fence dealing with budgets, resourcing etc...it's a different game than just being an Engineer. I fully understand that adjustments including cuts have to be made and it's just part of business.
No doubt about. I just think it’s important and educational to see what happens when a big industrial city gets affected by these closures. I myself have laid off people and fired people over the course of my career. However it’s never been on this type of scale.
Old 12-05-18, 07:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Worse, he won't even take a tiny piece of that big nest egg he's sitting on and go out and buy a couple of things he desperately needs......a bar of soap, deodorant, razor, shaving cream, and some new clothes. He could also use a membership in a nice gym or recreation center.
It is very hurtful to say these things. It’s not called for. I did not think much of Moore until I saw this film , but it has opened my eyes quite a bit. He tried to get on the 14th floor to speak to Smith many times. Smith shut down a shareholders meeting when he saw Moore was a shareholder and was about to ask a question.

And by the way, not all overweight individuals are overweight because of just diet or lack of exercise. Medical conditions can cause a lot of problems and so can medications etc etc. You should never make fun of someone
Old 12-05-18, 07:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It is very hurtful to say these things. It’s not called for. I did not think much of Moore until I saw this film , but it has opened my eyes quite a bit. He tried to get on the 14th floor to speak to Smith many times. Smith shut down a shareholders meeting when he saw Moore was a shareholder and was about to ask a question.

And by the way, not all overweight individuals are overweight because of just diet or lack of exercise. Medical conditions can cause a lot of problems and so can medications etc etc. You should never make fun of someone

Hey, I've admitted, myself, that I'm somewhat overweight...I'm no hypocrite. And I have no personal animosity against Michael Moore....none whatsoever. My world doesn't revolve around hating people. I ONLY brought it up because HE, not me, likes to go around attacking corporations, conservatives, and anyone he disagrees with, using his celebrity-status to make money for himself, even if he doesn't spend it on some basic necessities....which normally would be none of our business, except that he spends so much time in public, in front of the cameras. That's his decision, not mine.

As for Smith, I don't see any need to keep rehashing his life. He's been deceased now for over ten years. Out of respect for the dead, let him RIP.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-18 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 07:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hey, I've admitted, myself, that I'm somewhat overweight...I'm no hypocrite. And I have no personal animosity against Michael Moore....none whatsoever. My world doesn't revolve around hating people. I ONLY brought it up because HE, not me, likes to go around attacking corporations, conservatives, and anyone he disagrees with, using his celebrity-status to make money for himself, even if he doesn't spend it on some basic necessities....which normally would be none of our business, except that he spends so much time in public, in front of the cameras. That's his decision, not mine.
Surprised you think this way. Do you realize Moore is on YOUR side?
Old 12-05-18, 07:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Surprised you think this way. Do you realize Moore is on YOUR side?
I doubt if he has ever heard of me....or cares one way or another. Besides, the prospect of a lot of workers getting laid off are more important than whatever taste in sedans I happen to have. They are the ones who are really going to suffer here....my world will not end if I can't buy or lease another new Impala, Lacrosse, or MKZ. And they have families to feed...I don't.
Old 12-05-18, 08:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Has anyone else on the forum seen Roger & Me? I really would like to hear your opinion.
Old 12-05-18, 08:13 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Has anyone else on the forum seen Roger & Me? I really would like to hear your opinion.
Haven't seen it plan to check it out.
Old 12-05-18, 08:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

No, but I'll watch it.

Mike, I was really surprised to hear such a rude personal remark from you.
Old 12-05-18, 08:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
Haven't seen it plan to check it out.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, but I'll watch it.

Mike, I was really surprised to hear such a rude personal remark from you.
Really nice to hear that both you are going to check out the film.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories